free hit
counters
Will the Emira have a speed limiter? - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Will the Emira have a speed limiter?

Relic222

This EU regulation has been flying under the radar a bit, but it looks like it's going to come into force in May 2022, so will probably affect the Emira from launch. Essentially the EU has mandated that all new cars will be fitted with speed monitoring software which uses GPS and other data to reduce the power of the car when you get to the speed limit. The UK has adopted a similar law, but from the article it sounds like in the UK it'll need to give an audible warning rather than actually limit the power. The other slightly worrying thing (unless you're an insurance company) is that the car will need to log telematics data at all time (think the telematics box that young drivers get offered by insurance companies). 

Obviously it's still early days, and we don't quite know how these changes will be implemented and how much it'll affect you while driving, but it's something to be aware of. The system can be turned off at the push of a button, but by the sound of it it'll default to 'on' when you start the car.

https://www.visordown.com/news/industry/vehicles-sold-eu-uk-2022-be-fitted-automatic-speed-limiters

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
23 minutes ago, Relic222 said:

The other slightly worrying thing (unless you're an insurance company) is that the car will need to log telematics data at all time (think the telematics box that young drivers get offered by insurance companies). 

Most cars have been doing this for years and as part of accident investigations I believe the police have the ability to get stored information from the cars various computers for analysis.

The EU has a lot to answer when it comes to limiting peoples freedoms.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Top speed of 180mph was in the press release, so it'll go that fast! 

https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/lotus-emira-the-most-accomplished-lotus-ever-made/

Opera Snapshot_2021-08-11_180401_www.thelotusforums.com.png

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

May be that is on unlimited track /private locations and not on the public highways (in the future?) 

Have you ever seen that on a car? I certainly haven't. 

Not saying things might not change, but that's not the case in this instance.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

"Will the Emira have a speed limiter?"

Yes, my missus. Which is why she will only ever be shoehorned into the boot.

• Haha 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

wb2.jpg

It isn't really any different to a speed sign, but the "ECU' in that case is your brain.

Or am I wrong in thinking that?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

It the UK, we will initially be allowed to switch it off, but it seems likely that option will vanish at some stage. I imagine that a few companies will do a 'fix' enabling you to have it permanently switched off. However, if you have switched it off, you can be fairly sure that in the event of any accident, your insurance will automatically be invalidated.

• Gold FFM

It will be implemented the same as the CO2 stop/start - default will be on, switch to allow you to turn it off but you will need to do it each time you start the car so will be a pain in the arse.  Eventually the option to turn it off on new cars will be removed (exactly what they did with the exhaust bi-pass for noise legislation). And yes, I agree, in the future if you disable the permanent restriction you will undoubtedly invalidate your insurance in the case of a claim. Big brother is coming and is being chauffeured by the bureaucrats of the EU.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

As I understand it, the '22 date is for cars first hitting the market after that date, while the '24 date is for all new cars sold. In other words, if Lotus is on schedule with their first Emira deliveries, they don't have to implement this until '24. So there's some hope the First Editions will still be drivable.

What is unclear to me is if this "off" button (which will undoubtedly go away in future models) will have to be pressed every time you turn the car off and on again, which seems likely. At some point, insurance will stop paying out if the thing is off or the tracking system said you were speeding, so disabling it yourself will bite you (if not downright a felony offense).

Another dealbreaker. If the FE comes with this, I'll pass. Might as well buy an econo shitbox.

Edited by JJ

• Gold FFM

Blimey, this is all very alarming and frustrating. I wasn't aware of all this safety bollocks being mandatory at some point though, of course, we all know where things are heading.

It is the invalidating insurance part that I find most distressing. Hopefully, it is not as bad as we fear.

wb2.jpg

• Gold FFM
16 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Can’t we just say no, now that we’re not in the EU?

We could, but the UK Government decided to keep in sync with the EU on this and so has mandated itself.  But, we did have the choice for sure.

5 hours ago, bosshog said:

Do these laws apply to low manufacturing numbers though? 

If you want full type approval for a "global" car you ain't going to get out of this if your name is Lotus and you are selling a few hundred to a few thousand cars a year.

Ultima will get around it as will kit cars I am sure.

Ahhh the good old EU and their hatred towards anything remotely fun.

Though I'm not totally against speed limiters. Here in Japan all Japanese cars are limited to 180kphs which I think is fair because that puts you well into going to jail territory. I don't see the need to be able to do such speeds on a public road.

Of course this will just be a way for the EU to track everybody and eventually automatically fine you automatically for every traffic infraction. Probably wishful thinking to think this will lead to reduced insurance costs as well.

Edit: I wonder what the rules will be for imported cars.

For example a world car can still have (slight) differences between markets. 

I doubt that will work for importing a new car (nor do I see that making financial sense) but for example in my case I'm a expat and if I'd move back to my home country I can import my car without paying import tax. I wonder where that would leave me if I got a world car that was built after the mandatory EU spy rules came into place but aren't on my car as it wasn't mandatory in the country I lived in when I bought the car.

Edited by IwantOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IwantOne said:

Ahhh the good old EU and their hatred towards anything remotely fun.

Though I'm not totally against speed limiters. Here in Japan all Japanese cars are limited to 180kphs which I think is fair because that puts you well into going to jail territory. I don't see the need to be able to do such speeds on a public road.

Of course this will just be a way for the EU to track everybody and eventually automatically fine you automatically for every traffic infraction. Probably wishful thinking to think this will lead to reduced insurance costs as well.

Edit: I wonder what the rules will be for imported cars.

For example a world car can still have (slight) differences between markets. 

I doubt that will work for importing a new car (nor do I see that making financial sense) but for example in my case I'm a expat and if I'd move back to my home country I can import my car without paying import tax. I wonder where that would leave me if I got a world car that was built after the mandatory EU spy rules came into place but aren't on my car as it wasn't mandatory in the country I lived in when I bought the car.

I have nothing against reasonable top speed limits either. 180kph? Fine. I never really go above 160kph anyway, even on a relatively empty highway, I feel that's my personal safe limit in cognition speed in a non-track scenario - where you cross from being in control to "lets hope nothing happens that I didn't see". But then it is rare for highways over here to be empty enough to go 140 for more than a few hundred feet. I'd even be relatively fine if the entire system as proposed was speed limit + 30kph.

Automatic fines are already a thing on many local stretches of road, using a large amount of cameras and license plate recognition. If you pass two cameras in less time than the maximum speed allows, you get a fine in your mailbox, all fully automated. According to reports, these roads have 30% less accidents and 60% less fatal accidents. They are gnarly if you don't have cruise control though, as I personally have to fight to stay awake on these roads. Long straight roads in a slow procession, ugh.

With built-in GPS location, time and speed tracking, they can do it everywhere, to everyone. And that will become mandatory eventually for upcoming road taxes revisions anyway, so they'll use it for fining eventually. There'll be a few years where people will protest for privacy concerns, the governments will pretend to listen and take those seriously, and then when the fighting is done, government propaganda (these days: buying off influencers to promote it as a good idea) has caused a fair share of people who really didn't care to be proponents, and everybody is used to the idea being around, that's when it'll be implemented. I'm not sure if this is really what was intended by "government transparency"... :)

As for importing, likely it'll depend on the date your car was first driven by a buyer, if it's after a certain date, it needs to have those systems fully compliant to be road-legal in your area. That mean's either you can't import the car or have to pay for it to be upgraded with them. In other words, the normal course of action for any import car and any required system.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Yup, my wife's old Qashqai from 2017 had:

Hopefully I will be dead BEFORE all of this becomes mandated as "ON and cannot be turned off".

That settles it, I'm not getting a Qashqai :) You paint a very bleak picture with all these assistance features. I've driven cars with some of them and agree most of them are extremely annoying. I fear you don't have a long life left if you wish to depart before all of these become mandatory on, though.

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, JJ said:

There is "good" news too though, motorcycles are apparently exempt for the time being as nobody has thought up how to implement all this safely for them.

yay, one bit of good news except I have promised to get rid of bikes next year when I get my new cars.

I might have to rethink that. Nobody is taking the hooligan out of me! 🥵

wb2.jpg