free hit
counters
Will the Emira have a speed limiter? - Page 4 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Will the Emira have a speed limiter?

Relic222

I'd imagine, like most manufacturers, every single detail of the car isn't on the configurator. 

It wouldn't have made it to the press release if it wasn't going to be included on the car. The original press release which hasn't changed in still on their website...

https://media.lotuscars.com/en/models/emira/emira.html

Let's please not be critical of the company or the car unless it's actually a valid reason. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Please remember that the question and answer could be mis-interpreted on the ground as it were. ADAS is a lot more than forced steering lane-assist, however the question seemed to be aimed at that and the answer is just regarding that feature which has never been a consideration on the car. From reading the press release it seems that like many cars, it's got a camera which helps warn if you're drifting out of lane (ie no indicator used) and like most cars, I'm sure it's easy enough to turn off. 

I'm chasing for a complete and correct answer to this but as far as I'm currently aware, nothing has changed from the initial press release.

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The lane assist stuff doesn't bother me personally - its the new system that, certainly in the EU and possibly, maybe, in the UK will cut the power on the car if you go over the speed limit as determined by GPS and speed sign aware cameras. If you press harder on the go pedal power gets restored but the car shouts at you until you go below the speed limit.

Cant imagine power restriction is going to be very pleasant - of course eventually the main screen will keep a running tally of your speed fines in real time and automatically log onto your bank account and remove the cash.

As a tech nerd I'm interested in this stuff, as a driver I'm less enthusiastic...

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Bibs said:

Please remember that the question and answer could be mis-interpreted on the ground as it were. ADAS is a lot more than forced steering lane-assist, however the question seemed to be aimed at that and the answer is just regarding that feature which has never been a consideration on the car. From reading the press release it seems that like many cars, it's got a camera which helps warn if you're drifting out of lane (ie no indicator used) and like most cars, I'm sure it's easy enough to turn off. 

I'm chasing for a complete and correct answer to this but as far as I'm currently aware, nothing has changed from the initial press release.

I hope you're right there Bibs, maybe there is indeed a degree of confusion.

For assistance, they could just put my missus in the car, she shouts any time I go over the speed limit so I guess I've got a limiter fitted as standard !! I've only experienced forced lane assist on a hire car that scared the bejesus out of me when it pulled the wheel so I think I'd prefer just a little audio noise, although if we pick the V6, might not actually hear it.

Technology that looks for oncoming vehicles when reversing would be useful where I live so i'm really interested to see if that will indeed be fitted. Adaptive cruise when on a long motorway journey stuck in mile upon mile of restrictive "smart" motorways would be worth having fitted. As for taking over the car when you put your foot down, that I'm not so keen on, I'd imagine like most others. I somehow think Big Brother will take that out of our hands very soon unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been using adaptive cruise for last 5 years across 2 different daily drivers and wouldn’t be without it for the daily motor.  Not such an issue for weekend toy. 

Have the Lane guidance system, but can be switched off permanently , but is a 2 year old car now.  The father in law is going mad that his new VW needs to have this function switched off every time he starts the car.  Hearing same from lots of other new car owners. 

World has gone health and safety mad. 

• Like 2

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

My 2019 van has lane departure warning and it doesn't bother me. The two things that do are the stop start, it stops as you are pulling up, so if it's a give way and you continue to pull out there is a delay while it starts and then tries to catch up. To me it shouldn't stop until the vehicle stops.

The other is the automatic braking to stop a collision. Every now and again if some one is turning left its still picks them up as stationary as they turn and slams my brakes on for a fraction second until there gone. It's all heading down the route of autonomous vehicles, so no room for fun driving vehicles that I can see.  

• Sad 1

the big question is not whether it has it, the question is how easy is it to turn off, our XC90 had it all, and it was all easy to disable (speed warning is handy when car tells you what it thinks the limit is, but leaves you to it)

Collision control plays a tune to me every couple of days when it gets confused by parked cars, but so late that it really serves no purpose (if it is meant to make you look up, go "huh" and react, there is no chance) - would not trust it to intervene (this is in a Stelvio) 

Unfortunately across all new cars, not just Lotus 😒

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Yes thank you for this information.  I have the Adaptive Cruise Control on my Alfa Romeo and it is nice on a long trip, but not something I absolutely have to have.  The two things I think should be standard are the Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Lane Change Assist.  When backing up it's nice to get a tone to let you know someone or something is behind you, especially if it's a child, dog or something that you can't easily see.  I know we'll have a camera, but without knowing how wide the viewing field is, it would still be nice to have a backup safety feature.  With the Lane Change Assist, it's very helpful to have that warning tone if you have someone in your blind spot and turn on your blinker to move in that direction.  I don't know what drivers are like in the U.K., but in the U.S. when you turn on your blinker they often speed up to block you.  This attitude and behavior is especially prevalent in California drivers.  The running joke is if you want to move into the left lane (they have 8-12 lanes in one direction), you signal for a right turn, and when everybody moves over there to block you, you can then go left.

I have been told by a dealer and by Lotus Customer Care that the cruise control on the FE is assisted.  So do we know how much of that package described above as ADAS is included in the FE and how much is not?  There is nothing on the web site.  I have everything listed above on my 2019 Jaguar so it’s not bleeding edge technology.

I'm guessing it's a chip supply issue rather than the development of the technology.  It's affecting a lot of manufacturers at the moment and I guess it's easier for Lotus to just drop it from the initial cars than risk delays to start of deliveries.

• Gold FFM
26 minutes ago, TomE said:

I'm guessing it's a chip supply issue rather than the development of the technology.  It's affecting a lot

The chip supply issue is getting acute up here in Scotland. My wee poke has gone from £1.80 to £2.60 in a matter of weeks and I am sure there are less chips now too!  

• Haha 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

So Scott was right all along - and nobody believed him!

I've now mostly forgotten the other things he said.

The only thing I would pay more for is Adaptive Cruise.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

• Gold FFM

It's on. It's off. It's on. It's off. In the big scheme of things it doesn't matter as you can turn it off. So maybe time to change the record on this topic.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
54 minutes ago, Murdock said:

I had a crisp packet get stuck to the front sensor on my Golf R a few years back. Automatic emergency stop from 65mph on a duel carriageway isn't good for your pants when you aren't expecting it. The bloke behinds pants were in an even worse state!

This is the problem with "tech". It's great when everything goes how the programmers expected it to go! But they never can programme for every eventuality.

• Like 2