free hit
counters
Emira lite - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira lite

Laika

As many of you are more informed than me, will there ever be a GT3esque "lite" Emira, specifically an Emira without a tablet stuck to the dashboard like a 1980s cellphone. I hated it in my alpine, and desperately hope there will be a headless version of the Emira..

Edited by Laika
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think Emira is dated inside already, that’s the problem when a former innovator becomes a follower, trend is already moving towards more integrated screens but when Lotus were designing Emira iPads on dash were the big thing. Tft screen novelty definitely starting to wear off now too how long before we start seeing analogue dials with needles make a comeback? Does anyone in the world think Aston Martin interiors have improved in recent years?

As for lighter faster Emira you’d have to say highly likely at some point but dumping the lightweight ethos seems to be going well for Lotus so you have to wonder if they’ll bother. If they did though it will still have the iPad dash. But if you want lighter faster simpler Lotus the Exige is your car or one of the racier, stripped out Evoras if you can’t fit in an Exige or want something bigger. No iPads no driver assist crap no electric seats, loads of carbon, manual box, exceptional steering, damping, analogue dials, essentially the same chassis and drivetrain but available with more power and less weight.

• Like 2

I'd imagine that a good amount of the cars settings are accessed from the middle display so I very much doubt there will be a version without unless it's the GT4 race version which is coming. 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

2 hours ago, jimichanga said:

I think Emira is dated inside already, that’s the problem when a former innovator becomes a follower, trend is already moving towards more integrated screens but when Lotus were designing Emira iPads on dash were the big thing. Tft screen novelty definitely starting to wear off now too how long before we start seeing analogue dials with needles make a comeback? Does anyone in the world think Aston Martin interiors have improved in recent years?

As for lighter faster Emira you’d have to say highly likely at some point but dumping the lightweight ethos seems to be going well for Lotus so you have to wonder if they’ll bother. If they did though it will still have the iPad dash. But if you want lighter faster simpler Lotus the Exige is your car or one of the racier, stripped out Evoras if you can’t fit in an Exige or want something bigger. No iPads no driver assist crap no electric seats, loads of carbon, manual box, exceptional steering, damping, analogue dials, essentially the same chassis and drivetrain but available with more power and less weight.

I don't think you can say it's dated because it's what everybody else is doing.

I much prefer analog dials, compare it to a analog watch with a smart watch. The latter looks like a cheap trinklet while a proper watch can look good for decades.

That said, the dash itself doesn't look too bad and I guess you could say it will have some practical benefits as well, such as being able to show navigation right in front of you.

The central screen isn't too bad either. It's not stupidly big like a Tesla and it appears to be placed fairly good as well. Not sticking out too much or hampering your line of sight. As long as there are buttons for all the primary functions (heater, ac etc.) I don't mind too much. 

I also hope it had a decent SoC so all the menus etc are nice and fast. I guess it's just a geeky/Volvo part so that is probably the level we can expect of the Emira.

I prefer din slots because you can upgrade them because who knows how good the software support on the built in unit will be (probably not very good). 

Edited by IwantOne
  • Like 1

I agree with @iwantone, the emira interior is great, and bibs is right, it probably controls all the trickery... But I bet it has some useless graphic of the gearbox or trackattack timers and gforce mode all of which are pointless.

No touch panel covered in fingerprints, no speakers, no outdated GPS mapping, rip it out and put in a knob for heating and air. Take out the electric seats too...Save 50kgs...

Edited by Laika
  • Like 2

• Gold FFM

Digital is here to stay. Analogue dials will never be mainstream again. They will end up getting even more complicated.

I was the same about motorcycles. Analogue dials look great BUT they are very limited and the latest tech on motorcycles really needs digital to manage it all.  I am now a convert.

People always rebel against 'new' stuff but soon realise the benefits.

In my world, the Lotus interior looks amazing but it will not affect my overall enjoyment of the car.

• Like 2

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

18 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

You really don’t have much positive to say about the Emira do you? You seem to be on a one man crusade to criticise it at every opportunity. We get that you don’t like it, so why keep on telling us?

Every forum has at least one Eeyore type. Fortunately most folks on here are like Tiger and bouncing with excitement about the Emira 🙂

• Like 2

Sounds like a reasonable summary, although I would also add that it looks much better than an Evora. Pretty much everybody else on here seems more than happy with it, so why not leave it at that, rather than repeatedly trash-talking the poor thing before anyone on here has had a chance to drive one? I just don’t get why you think anyone wants to read your negativity.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimichanga said:

Be good if one of those enjoying their collective delusion about the Emira could explain how it is any kind of step forward over the Evora as a drivers car. Then we might be able to have a grown up debate about it. Surely the point of a forum rather than an echo chamber?

if you think Emira was supposed to be a step forward to Evora in terms of a drivers car you missed the point. It was not the brief of the car, not under, JMG, not under Popham, and not under MW. The brief was make a car that will sell by the thousands and keep the company afloat.  Is it going to be a step forward in terms of driving dynamics, I think it is more refined and will only get more refined. it will get lighter because loose the seat and save 20kg at least so your car is now lighter than Evora 400. Again Lotus did not show their entire end as some people seem to point out they did they merely introduced a new base model that is meant for conquest.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, jimichanga said:

But a potentially cheaper car with similar performance plus much better infotainment and Volvo/Geely ‘safety’ tech. Is this really worth losing our minds over?

Yes! Well it made me want to buy two when I previously had no interest at all in an Evora. 

I think you mean the Exige anyway. THAT is a completely different car and on that we can all agree.  

People who have actually driven the Emira have said it is an improvement over the Evora.

Saying all that, I have always maintained, and even agreed with @jimichanga , that I would not have bought an Emira IF I had owned an Evora. I do see what he means about a step change BUT the fact it is looks like it is better and cheaper - let's lsoe our minds!

Can’t see a ‘lightweight’ Emira showing up any time before 2024. Standard industry practice to announce update after 2 years as seen with Evora to Evora S which was announced in 2010, first customer cars 2011. But it took another 5 years before the first really lightweight Evora showed up.

Those seeking to hype up the value of their deposits better get their letters of intent in now!

Edited by jimichanga

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, jimichanga said:

Can’t see a ‘lightweight’ Emira showing up any time before 2024.

Agreed - maybe not all all if they don't bother doing a GT4 road version or Cup.

They might not. Things are different now. There is a chance they will not follow the usual Lotus upgrade route.

It looks like they will be able to shift a lot of the cars as they are for years to come.  

They might well up the power a bit but lightening and other changes are less likely in my eyes.

Anyway, all this weight of the Emira is non-issue for me. It is what it is - a comfy, more grown up Lotus for older gits like me.  If you don;t want weight, get the Exige - and this is now what I will likely to next year.

Launch power levels strongly suggest sandbagging for faster versions in the pipeline as does the lack of aero. I have no doubt that regular updates will be needed to reach production targets going forward. Due to commitment to go full electric asap and before their rivals they may need to upgrade petrol Emira faster than Evora was.

• Gold FFM

Well, the lack of aero add-ons  is because it has been built with fixed aero already sorted.

If they do upgrade the power I can only see then going to the already reliable 430.

The i4 is far more interesting. How long will they keep that low?  I suspect they will only open it up to 400+ once the V6 run has finished.

Evora GT410 already produced downforce as did Sport 410 before it and to a lesser extent Evora 400 without aero 'add-ons'. GT410 made nearly 100kg of downforce at top speed (similar to previous 991.1 GT3 which had a rear wing). Sport 410 64kg, Evora 400 32kg. We have only heard so far that the Emira produces 'some' downforce 'which is unusual for the class'. In other words less. Even the Evora S made ‘some’ downforce. Again not something many people actually care about so not an issue but also not correct to presume the aerodyamics are superior to what came before.

Big question is how long the V6 Emira will be around for. One option is to do a short run of V6s and then let the i4 take over with a bump in power for the Emira S. I can't see them doing two versions of the Emira S or continuing with 2 different powertrains for long. V6 is only there to get the car to market sooner (which it will achieve) and also out of concern that they would lose customers if there was no manual option at launch.

Edited by jimichanga

• Gold FFM
25 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

One option is to do a short run of V6s and then let the i4 take over with a bump in power for the Emira S

This.

I think the life of the V6 is shorter than we even think.