Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Black callipers colours - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Black callipers colours

Am I right in thinking on the S1 the NA came in black and the S came in red?

I've got a grey launch edition, over time I’m tempted to change the black callipers to either red (good standard colour IMO) or yellow for a bit of Lotus theme. 

Would like to see what you have on yours. 

15F28E64-F830-4EC1-9E5B-7ACC5BFDCC7F.jpeg

Edited by Celica

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think the base model calipers were unpainted but with the sport pack you got red calipers?(or black painted as a non cost option). My 2013 Sports Racer S has black painted calipers as that's what the original owner specced.

• Like 1

My 2010 NA no sports pack came with metal silver non painted and didn’t look great to be fair 

when I changed the disks and pads got my lotus garage to paint then yellow whilst in garage now car has a much better look and obviously better braking as I changed to drilled discs 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Forgot to say how much I got charged 

as I had a weird invoice as I had other work done and then some charges which were discounted as lotus covered a part under warranty 

I think I was charged about £75 per brake caliper for the painting

As it’s been a year I can’t see any paint wear so from my basic observations I got a decent job so happy 

• Like 1

Central Lotus did our GT430, awesome job, sorry no idea on cost; part of the deal as car was brand new. July 2018 no wear and tear of paint 

• Like 1

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

11 hours ago, DBG said:

2010 launch edition came with red calipers 👍🏼

Didn’t know that

1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

I can ask central lotus as going there next week for my MOT and service but if it’s too far so viable let me know ?

Not to worry , might give it a go myself in the future 

Evora was launched with natural finished calipers, black ones being part of the sport pack. (Launch Edition had sport pack so only came with black calipers)

Evora S had sport pack as standard so had a black calipers as standard, no other option.

Red calipers were introduced for MY12 in summer of 2011, and natural finished calipers were dropped.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For £7 you can buy a top quality can of caliper paint on eBay or similar, and do them by hand.   Clean the calipers with brake cleaner and white spirit and give them a light key.   No primer needed.

Then 2 coats with a couple of different sized artists brushes (smaller one to paint around the Lotus lettering first) and the job’s a good un.    I can’t believe how much some places charge to paint calipers - and they don’t even mask off the crossover pipes…..

I used about a third of the tin, so they cost under £3 to do all four…….

To protect the LOTUS lettering I then used a clear lacquer touch up stick (2 coats).   

Here are a couple of pics of some I’ve done previously (mine are currently black but I’m seriously considering red!)

0B51F877-9167-4BF6-8369-B9C1ACD5A6CC.jpeg

1D689257-E09F-4FF5-A0C0-E4BC3CA260C7.jpeg

1B617FC5-8C4F-4464-B901-DB74991E8608.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Dave, thanks for posting... this is on my todo list. When you did yours did you take the callipers off the mount bracket to get easier access to the back of the callipers, and did you remove the pads? Or was it easy enough with them in situ... looks a great job by the way. 

2 hours ago, LotusFella said:

I have a full set of new calipers and pads for sale.

Hi Chris, as tempting as that is I can't really justify spending out that much at the moment.. though if I could guarantee selling my black ones it might be a different story... thanks anyway..