free hit
counters
The Emira is beautiful, flawless......will this become boring at a given moment? - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The Emira is beautiful, flawless......will this become boring at a given moment?

rudolphwolven

What do you think........

I have noticed in the past that new models of all kind of manufacturers that from the first instance were nearly 100% beautiful and perfect in the end were disappointing during their life cycle in relation with their sales succes.

It just seems that new models with some less initial overwhelming beauty did actually better because that model comprised often some (hidden) kind of "character" that was increasingly  attracting unexpected numbers of buyers over the years........ 

I wish Lotus really good luck with the new Emira however think it could be possible that the aforementioned would be the case with the new Emira and people get bored of it relatively quickly.

The Evora for instance is not the prettiest girl on the dance floor imho but has that that indefinable x factor and maturity that made him more and more attractive over the years, certainly now during it's final stage.

Emira-Jenson-Button-1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

The consensus of opinion of the vast majority of people, even not on this forum, is that the Emira is a stunner.

Add that to the entry price, high tech, and what will 100% be a great drivers car (despite the weight mentioned by others) will make this a phenom.  I have a very strong suspicion it will end up a very desirable classic.

It has so many thing in its favour.

A case following your point is the Alfa 4C. Looks great, sounds great, carbon shell, Italian, but was dynamically not up to the job. They are already becoming classics now and I expect the prices to drift upwards.   The Emira ticks every single box.

Even the dark grey is now getting me excited 😄

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Why would anyone claim it’s flawless? No car is. Yaris GR has done really well and delivered on the hype but owners seem quite happy to discuss its shortcomings without causing any offence, not so with Emira fans.

For what it’s worth I personally prefer the looks of the Evora, styled by the same man of course with cleaner more distinctive lines and less reminiscent of other designs (apart from the Lancia Stratos perhaps!). Emira would look so much better to me with a lower roofline and more raked windscreen. No doubt they raised it to make ingress/egress easier a key objective but I would imagine it is an area Russell Carr had to compromise, not his ideal solution. Julian Thompson was the same about the Elise S1 rear tail though I happen to think the aero engineers it improved it.

Doesn’t matter now because everyone seems to think it looks amazing and Lotus seems to have a hit on their hands. Very bold move to scrap 3 models I bet Lotus were very nervous about Emira, everything was riding on it being well received but they must all be very relieved now that only one person on TLF doesn’t want one!

• Haha 1

Sigh, recurring theme. Agree, nobody here is a delicate petal when it comes to criticising our cars, but we actually HAVE them… I’m not precious if ppl want to criticise the Emira, but if you do, we may all feel free to retort that you’ve not driven it yet so your opinion is pure speculation…

As for the Evora and 4C examples, the problem is values are going up because of scarcity, not just classic status. Which in fact reflects a failure of sales. So I really do hope Emira succeeds, but the proof will be in the sales and not how good it is…

• Like 2

The way Emira drives wasn’t mentioned at any point. The thread title states that it is ‘beautiful and flawless’ and yes it is already getting quite tedious.

Regarding sales success I am surprised how well received it appears to have been by the so called ‘traditional’ Lotus fans, Lotus was hoping for a car to reach beyond them/us but they appear to have created something that appeals to trad buyers/fans as well. How much impact the car has made among Cayman, Ftype and others new to Lotus remains to be seen, very hard to gauge on here. But that is the measure by which Lotus will consider it a success or not.

• Gold FFM

Lotus scrapping all previous models may indeed seem “very bold” to some but at just 15/1600 car sales pa with all three models, plus the impending switch to full EV, Lotus have made a sound business decision. After many years of just managing to hang on, good luck to them, agree there is lots of hype (aka good marketing) and hopefully the car will deliver. Always a little cautious being an early adopter, just hope they’ve got their quality control bolted down. We will see. Whatever, if it’s not for you and the lead times are long, just flip it and you’ll probably be in profit. Wouldn’t at all  be surprised if a number of the deposits are just speculators.

You got your deposit in then Jimi 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, jimichanga said:

Why would anyone claim it’s flawless? No car is. Yaris GR has done really well and delivered on the hype but owners seem quite happy to discuss its shortcomings without causing any offence, not so with Emira fans.

For what it’s worth I personally prefer the looks of the Evora, styled by the same man of course with cleaner more distinctive lines and less reminiscent of other designs (apart from the Lancia Stratos perhaps!). Emira would look so much better to me with a lower roofline and more raked windscreen. No doubt they raised it to make ingress/egress easier a key objective but I would imagine it is an area Russell Carr had to compromise, not his ideal solution. Julian Thompson was the same about the Elise S1 rear tail though I happen to think the aero engineers it improved it.

Doesn’t matter now because everyone seems to think it looks amazing and Lotus seems to have a hit on their hands. Very bold move to scrap 3 models I bet Lotus were very nervous about Emira, everything was riding on it being well received but they must all be very relieved now that only one person on TLF doesn’t want one!

The Emira is actually lower than the Evora. To me it also looks like the A style is actually angled more compared to the Evora but the Evora's windshield sticks out a lot more at the base which might make the window appear to be angled more.

I think the biggest reason the roofline looks higher is because after the window the roof still appears to be going up quite a bit where on the Evora it appears to angle down a lot earlier. Maybe the back of the Evora is also a bit higher so the angle can be shallower?

That said I think a lot of cars like this have a tendency to look a bit out of proportion in pictures. But when you see them in the flesh next to a normal car they suddenly make more sense.

• Gold FFM

Seeing the two photos posted and apologies to Evora owners but that IMHO is definitely (in the looks dept) a Slam Dunk for the Emira. The side profile also gives a nod to Elise but sharper, even in the boring grey 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MJON said:

Lotus scrapping all previous models may indeed seem “very bold” to some but at just 15/1600 car sales pa with all three models, plus the impending switch to full EV, Lotus have made a sound business decision. After many years of just managing to hang on, good luck to them, agree there is lots of hype (aka good marketing) and hopefully the car will deliver. Always a little cautious being an early adopter, just hope they’ve got their quality control bolted down. We will see. Whatever, if it’s not for you and the lead times are long, just flip it and you’ll probably be in profit. Wouldn’t at all  be surprised if a number of the deposits are just speculators.

You got your deposit in then Jimi 😉

It was not bold but necesary, they are going to refurbish the old production line into something even more high tech than the Emira production line. they need time to do it.

• Gold FFM

Agreed. It still looks like a Lotus but to me it is vastly better looking. This is all personal opinions though and others will prefer the Evora, some will even prefer a Cayman's looks

I still think the perfect garage is the Emira and an Elige.

• Like 1

In answer to the original question, no.

The comparison photos (Emira vs Evora) are interesting, some of the differences (improvements?) are very subtle, some are glaringly obvious.....

The  much bigger and lower intake by the rear wheel successfully breaks up that slightly heavy area.
The roof is SO much better, sleek & curvy on the Emira, thick/heavy/dumpy on the Evora.
The lines above and below the side window, much more curvaceous on the Emira - very sexy!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Evora looks, but the Emira to my eyes is just better. I have absolute faith that the Emira will handle beautifully, my only concern is that it might be TOO good. Think of the M100 Elan, possibly the finest handling FWD car ever made, but maybe just too capable to be involving!

Still excited here :thumbup:

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, duncx said:

my only concern is that it might be TOO good. Think of the M100 Elan, possibly the finest handling FWD car ever made, but maybe just too capable to be involving!

That is a fair point which nobody has really mentioned. A lot of modern cars feel dull compared to similar models of yesteryear.

For example, I had a mint integrale Evolution 2 and later had a newish RS3 and newish Golf R. They were much 'better' cars in almost every single way, and faster, but my god they could not hold the hint of a candle to the grale in terms of feedback and emotion.

9 hours ago, jimichanga said:

assets.newatlas.jpg

Beating a dead horse, but looking at this picture I still don't see how it can possibly clear the local speed bumps and parking garage ramps 🤷‍♂️ Everybody says its fine so something must be wrong with my eyes.

Sure we are are free to give our views including jimichanja on the Emira. For what it worth my opinion being a owner of a year old GT410 Evora and a past owner of a S1 Evora. The live launch of the Emira i did feel a bit underwhelmed and disappointed. But just a few days later i was lucky to see the car in the flesh at Goodwood and i can honestly say it took my breath away, the Seneca Blue car on the main stand was Stunning, looks of a true junior supercar. Better than my 410 in looks yes definitely and knowing Lotus it will be better in every other department. The saddest part to my post i have pulled my deposit on the Emira due to the escalating cost of a new house build and yes a decision i will probably regret as soon as we start seeing road test reviews early next hear.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sadly Jimichanga makes good points when it comes to power to weight and I’d guess this is perhaps where he is most disappointed with where Lotus are headed. I’d agree on that too but accept that all cars if they want to compete in a mass market and end the financial struggles that Lotus have had in the past. Knowing Lotus staff and their core values I’m confident they’ll add the sparkle to Emira that is lacking with the cars in the competing sector but will be amazed if it’s better than a GT430, probably the pinnacle of the current era Lotus. Emira may be a sideways step in outright performance but a forward step useability with road craft perhaps the target over track ability. 
I look forward to using mine on a daily basis, can’t wait.

Trevor.

• Like 2

I'll get around to it at some point.

Maybe a toned down BHP figure is not a bad idea considering that Lotus are trying to entice people from other marques over? Maybe they are anticipating getting a raft of new buyers that may not be used to the driving ability of a sportscar?

Giving the masses a sportscar that has more power might get some drivers into trouble? I am not talking about drivers on here or drivers from other marque sportscars.

The opinion of many on here is that there will be further models where Lotus will turn up the wick of the engine/s. The downside to that is that some on here, as has already been mentioned, may not change to an Emira if they have a later model Evora based essentially on looks alone?

Unless the driving dynamics of the car are a BIG step change from the Evora? That might be well within possibility. Jenson owns an Evora and on the launch day was quite complimentary about the handling of the Emira. I seriously doubt he was not telling the truth. I suspect he cares about his reputation a bit more than 'tricking' people into getting one.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.