free hit
counters
The Emira is beautiful, flawless......will this become boring at a given moment? - Page 2 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The Emira is beautiful, flawless......will this become boring at a given moment?

rudolphwolven

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@DangerousDave On some of the other topics re the Emira, it has been said by the factory that there is no plan at all to make the Emira a soft top/targa top etc.

• Sad 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

39 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

I think everyone else would prefer that your questions were asked and answered privately.

Why? Because this is off-topic? You have already gone off-topic with your reply. If it makes you more comfortable, I can split these posts into a new topic?

There I was thinking I was being magnanimous in asking you to reply and explain things to us.

Silly, silly Michael.

(I shall now go and sit in the corner as well as do 1,000 lines. "I shall not try and be magnanimousy.")

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

On the original question - I do think yes, there's a chance it may become boring as a result of being a common site on the roads.  I don't know what sort of volume it takes for that to occur - 5000 units per year doesn't seem high enough to me?

It's extremely unlikely that I'll be able to afford an Emira so on that note, I don't think I'll get bored of seeing them on the road  - only envious as I won't have one on my own driveway!

• Gold FFM
On 22/08/2021 at 11:08, jimichanga said:

1562840493_2017LotusEvora410GP(69).thumb.jpg.0ead2229a86916a2a201c87d77931c65.jpg

assets.newatlas.jpg

this is the first time I have seen the picture of the cars by each other.  They both look great but you can see the evolution of the car design. Evora to Emira. 

All the Best

Greg

It’s been a long time since any Lotus was a common sight, even on UK roads. By common, I mean seeing at least a couple per week on the open road. Probably during the early years of the Elise, so what’s that? 25 years or so? Maybe the Elan M100 before that. The other day I made a long motorway journey and didn’t see a single Lotus, but did see 3 of those new SUV Lamborghini Uruses! In contrast, I’ve yet to see a single Lamborghini LM002 on the open road, even 35 years after it was introduced. The money is out there now, Lotus just need to divert it into their bank account.

On 22/08/2021 at 21:41, scotty435 said:

Sure we are are free to give our views including jimichanja on the Emira. For what it worth my opinion being a owner of a year old GT410 Evora and a past owner of a S1 Evora. The live launch of the Emira i did feel a bit underwhelmed and disappointed. But just a few days later i was lucky to see the car in the flesh at Goodwood and i can honestly say it took my breath away, the Seneca Blue car on the main stand was Stunning, looks of a true junior supercar. Better than my 410 in looks yes definitely and knowing Lotus it will be better in every other department. The saddest part to my post i have pulled my deposit on the Emira due to the escalating cost of a new house build and yes a decision i will probably regret as soon as we start seeing road test reviews early next hear.

Really sorry to hear that you've had to withdraw your Emira deposit Scotty.  I guess sometimes other things have to take priority and I'm sure you've made the right decision.

FWIW I think your GT410 is an absolute animal though, having followed it 2 or 3 times now on MLOC runs and after the short passenger ride at Hassop.   I have a feeling the GT410 Sport will be a classic in its own right, but I'm sure you will sort out a lovely Emira in years to come - I plan to do the same myself at some stage.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Techyd said:

On the original question - I do think yes, there's a chance it may become boring as a result of being a common site on the roads.  I don't know what sort of volume it takes for that to occur - 5000 units per year doesn't seem high enough to me?

It's extremely unlikely that I'll be able to afford an Emira so on that note, I don't think I'll get bored of seeing them on the road  - only envious as I won't have one on my own driveway!

To put it into perspective Boxster Cayman production over last 7 years is app 23,000 pa and relatively consistent, with the Boxster now in its 25th year. So I don’t think the Emira will be that common a sight 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, DangerousDave said:

Does the design allow for a top like the s2000 or a manual top u can store in trunk?

Living in a tropical climate makes the s2k a perfect DD. Would be nice if this could also do it.

Well, not that we know of and we have been told a Targa is not happening. Somebody is bound to do a bespoke conversion at some point but that will be a  brave man as it would fundamentally affect the dynamics.

1 hour ago, Daveb99 said:

I guess sometimes other things have to take priority and I'm sure you've made the right decision.

Nono, he has made the 'sensible' decision. Nothing to do with being right . 😃

1 hour ago, MJON said:

So I don’t think the Emira will be that common a sight 

Agreed. It will certainly be considered a rare sight for 2 to 3 years anyway.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

On 23/08/2021 at 23:37, mg4lotus said:

1. "best car ever" is subjective. For some people it will be, for others it won't. Numbers supplied by Lotus have nothing to do with it.

2. I don't recall any negative comments about the Evora's styling. It's a beautiful car also.

3. a. None of the cars are being wiped away. If you've got an Elise / Exige / Evora you can still keep it. If you want to get one in future you will have to go to the second hand market. That is normal with cars.   b. "middling all rounder sports car", how do you know that, you've not got one.    c. SUV - If the picture with the Evija and three other vehicles under covers where one of them is the Emira and another one might be an SUV, it looks like no SUV I have seen. I'm preparing to be amazed. Go Lotus! (Can't afford to buy one, sadly)

4. How do you know what the plan is?

5. You don't have to be left behind. You can stay on board if you want to.

6. How do you know what they are expecting or welcoming?

7. If you are wanting some tolerance you should be more tolerant.

If this Emira section is a party for those heading towards Emira ownership you are being a party-pooper. This section is effectively acting as a marketing tool for the Emira and you are acting as a damp squib.

Point well made and… deafening silence. Just like all reasoned and logical arguments have been ignored or met with silence.

Also, I can never read “damp squib” anymore without thinking about the IT crowd and “damp squid”…

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
On 21/08/2021 at 22:19, Evotion said:

They are already becoming classics now

A classic contender for the skip to be honest!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
On 23/08/2021 at 14:37, mg4lotus said:

If this Emira section is a party for those heading towards Emira ownership you are being a party-pooper. This section is effectively acting as a marketing tool for the Emira and you are acting as a damp squib.

I disagree actually!  This Thread is part titled "will the Emira become boring". Why not just be tolerant, even of the views that you don't like?  You still have choices. You can choose to ignore the comments. You can choose to respond. Your call and right, just like with the OP's call and right. Not sure of the party, but there is a bit of poop around for sure!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

You're right, this thread is a bit negative. What was the OP thinking about?

Come back @jimichanga, we love you and are being tolerant. We don't want to leave you behind.

If Lotus do sell the production tooling for the Elise there is an opportunity for a small business to take advantage like Caterham did with the 7. If that is what you fancy.

• Gold FFM

Sarcasm is a tool that is often deployed by the skilled to prove they're unskilled.

Maybe we get back on topic, which is will the Emira look boring in the future. Personally, unlike many of the recent McLaren's I think the Emira is "unfussy" and will stand the test of time well, as has the Evora and the MP4/12C, so it will not look boring, just great!

• Gold FFM

I still have a strong feeling that the Emira will be considered an epic car experience and will always appeal to the masses in the 'gorgeous car that is great to drive' category and almost an instant classic. I am of the belief  the V6 will never go below £50k though this is mostly dependent on volume. I still think the V6 will be pulled earlier than most think.

Buy and hold.

The 4cyl is the one I will exchange for a future GT4 road version if they do one.

It looks much like a baby 488 GTB/Evija.  It's a beauty.  Unrelated to looks, I think the moment the car becomes "boring" (or loses luster) is if/when the competition significantly leapfrogs it or the car becomes unreliable and costly to maintain. 

• Gold FFM

Yep, I agree. It is a baby supercar after all. That is why I think of it as a bargain.

I can't see the competitors taking enough of a design leap to ever worry the Emira. 

After the Emira run ends and Lotus go EV then there is a chance that support for the Emira could be tough. This will be a factor on future demand and therefore residuals but I expect the V6 to always be sought after.