free hit
counters
Brake Pedal Removal - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Brake Pedal Removal

Hi all, I'm in the process of installing Ian Lords Delco delete kit and have hit a problem. I'm trying to remove the brake pedal from the car. I've removed the split pin on the pivot shaft, but getting that shaft to move is proving a nigh on impossible.

I've managed to get it inside the pedal box boss thanks to a hammer and a selection of bolts and washers of the right size. I was hoping a bit of percussive encouragement would break it loose if it was just stuck from being there for 24 years, or that extending out the clutch end would give me more purchase to pull the shaft through with some long pliers. Neither have happened, and I'm left wondering:

• why is mine such an issue? Could it be bent?
  • if I can hit it out, what hope do I have of getting it back in?

So I'm looking to those that have removed a brake pedal to get an idea of how uncommon this is, and any tricks will be most welcome.

Is your seatbelt on? I want to try something

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I've done several of these; although somewhat reluctant, they've never been more than a 2-minute inconvenience.  Wiggling the pedals whilst pulling the end of the shaft always works for me.  If you can shock it a bit further left, it should then slide easily.  Try and get a bit of lube up there.  I can't see how it could be bent.

How far out is it?  Any pics?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

This is a 4-evening inconvenience so far. Wiggling and pushing the pedals doesn't seem to affect it, and there's no way I'll be able to pull it with my hand yet.

I've attached a pic from the fuse box hole and the clutch end from the footwell.

I can't see how it got bent, unless someone used a slide-hammer to change the steering wheel! Who can say with this many years on them though? 

IMG_20210827_192640.jpg

IMG_20210827_192912.jpg

• Gold FFM

You want to try and get a set of long-nose locking grips on that, and rotate back and forth whilst pulling.  From the other end, find a suitable drift (vaguely remember using a socket once) to give you a better chance of pushing it out, maybe with a lever.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Lubricate the exposed end with penetrating fluid, push it back in again, and do the same at the other end. Then try again, and keep on trying. There’s nothing stopping pivot shaft removal apart from friction and/or lack of lubrication.

Grease the exposed shaft ends prior to reinstalling.

Margate Exotics.

Thanks for the help. Using an assortment of sockets, stacked washers and swear-words I managed to punch it loose. I was expecting it to loosen up at some point, but it really didn't. I'm not looking forward to the reinstallation. Hopefully if I can get the exposed end to twist, and some grease in the brake pedal bushing it will be easier than the removal. First I've got to drill that hole in the pedal though

• Like 1

Hope refit goes well.

May I ask, while you are in the area, to picture your left footrest for me - is it as below image taken from another post on this forum? 

The previous owner removed mine as he said he kept catching it when depressing the clutch - I recall something about the car not being suitable for farmers' boots!

I still have the black metal block in place, but not sure what is the thin rod that seems to help hold the rubber on top in place is - presumably a hollow pipe for the accelerator cable?

pedals.thumb.JPG.289ac877820a66bdc7deece2ad5114b7.jpeg

When I put mine back together there was no drama.  I guess I lubed the hole with knuckle skin and blood and it slipped in and out easily after the first go around.  IIRC I removed it several more times during fitment (being careful to NEVER put my finger in the hole again) 🙂 

• Thanks 1