free hit
counters
Buying a new house? Watch this - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Buying a new house? Watch this

pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Wow. If anyone laughs at my DIY attempts again, from the trade, any trade, I'm gonna cut their balls off with a rusty jagged old saw!

That is just absolutely shocking. Jaw dropping incompetence.  Literally, I will NEVER buy a house from a volume builder again having seen that. I always thought the NHBC warranties were a joke and not worth the paper they are written on, the fact that these things were not picked up just proves it.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

trouble is (well part of the issue) labour shortage, so the developers issue a contract to a smaller company tying them to timescales and price with penalties, the developer then can ask for more for the property if the resale value goes up during the build, the smaller company however cant ask for more money, materials are going through the roof and are limited, guys (skilled good guys) are walking from one job to the next bigger payer so the smaller company (to avoid penalties) have to take on anyone that says they can lay bricks or tiles or plaster etc and then you get a shite end result !!!    

My son bought a new  house recently and paid for it to be snagged.     They found 179 faults,  none major but some were just 2nd rate and lazy.    Gas fitter puts the hob pipe in too low so when hob fitted the oven top at the back clashes with the pipe.    I know lets drop the top of the oven 20mm...................except the fitter is too thick to think if the top goes down 20mm ...............so does the bottom.  That means the oven sits 20mm lower than the cupboards eash side and the  skirting now sits forward on the oven fitting brackets.   Yes the fitter was too lazy to even knotch the skirting under the oven bodge so it at least looked sort of right.      The basic structure was ok just almost any of the finishing bits.        Shame you cant just buy a bare shell plastered  and do every thing else yourself.

• Gold FFM
46 minutes ago, windymiller said:

trouble is (well part of the issue) labour shortage, so the developers issue a contract to a smaller company

Nope!  The developer subcontracts to a smaller outfit / one man band 'cos they quoted the lowest cost for the job.

As they quoted the lowest cost for the job they don't give a shit re the quality (not their house after all) and do just enough to pass a quick check - that's if the Housebuilder can be arsed to actually send someone round to do a quick check (cos' that costs money mate!)

Housebuilder meets their target for unit price per shite house, and increase their profits due the housing shortage causing the property to rise in value during the build - same cost per unit, but larger sell price = more profit.

Easy bucks for the Directors, who get whacked a massive bonus at the end of the year for a job well done.

The buck stops with (1) Council Building control who need to actually do more physical checks (2) Housebuilders who should build to a quality standard and most of all, in my lowly opinion, the bloody NHBC who are supposedly providing a "quality stamp" and a certificate to warranty the work done. What the feck planet are those twits at the NHBC on to allow the housebuilders to get away with such poor quality. Toothless. Useless. Pointless - just take the money and run jobs worths....

It'll take that internal wall to come down and kill a child before things change as the Directors responsible should then be prosecuted for corporate manslaughter and slammed in the nick for a few years. THEN, you'll see changes....  Hugely sad but I fear true.

14 minutes ago, mdw said:

Shame you cant just buy a bare shell plastered  and do every thing else yourself.

Buy it unplastered as the buggers would only use the plaster to hide the cracks in the wall!  Bare shell builds and do the fit out yourself might work.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

well look everyone wants to or indeed needs to earn a living, the developer (not always) subcontracts work out because it mitigates the chance of loss, the smaller companies are pitching for work and a living !!! i like to negotiate on a win win basis much of business doesnt negotiate on the same terms !!!!  

so theres a loss here in that the building control from the council (if used) are not part of any compliance from any housebuilding insurance (zurich or nhbc or etc etc) why the feck dont the councils offer an enhanced level of inspections backed up by insurance ?? because they all think inside the box !!!

A bare shell was exactly how my wife and I bought our 1st house.  Builder in trouble, bank forced them to flog it like it stood. 4 walls , windows, 2 doors. Finished it off ourselves.     Learnt a lot on that at 27 before the internet made research a bit easier.

DSC_0270.JPG

• Like 2

Have said it before,problem starts with change in using council building inspectors. Most inspectors are insurance based and very rarely visit sites,you send them photos, and who is going to send a photo of a poorly built part. The old building inspector could be asked his advice.not anymore in case they are sued as most are self employed. Site agents these days are more like accountants and are not the font of knowledge they used to be. Unskilled labour is overseen by unskilled foremen and the results are as the video. What is more worrying is what can't be seen i.e. drainage and foundations.

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, windymiller said:

the developer (not always) subcontracts work out because it mitigates the chance of loss

Or, the developer subcontracts the work as they no longer have a skilled workforce who can build houses! They are in effect a speculator that buys land (to fill their land bank), that designs the schemes (sorry, but even these private estates look like council schemes to me these days - in fact they probably pack them in tighter than councils did) and that then markets and sells the "product" (houses) for a profit.  I don't barely anyone in these so called large conglomerate "house builders" actually knows how to use a spirit level, let alone how to wire a plug!

I just don't agree that they subcontract to mitigate the chance of loss - it is to my untrained eye all about profit!  The housebuilders are not exactly known for prompt payments to smaller suppliers, for being understanding when the smaller suppliers have an issue etc. Cost, cost, cost.  That's what happens when you give someone a computer and a spreadsheet and out them into the "Finance" function. All of a sudden they become brainless morons who just focus on a number in column XYZ and have very little understanding of the business they are in etc as they have never done anything other than look at numbers on a spreadsheet. Then, after a couple of decades they become a CFO, then a CEO, then usually the whole company gets well and truly stuffed and goes bust or gets sold. 

• Gold FFM

The problem is that when in doubt the Local authority building control officer merely opens the NHBC guide book to see what he should do.

NHBC are in reality a trade body, not an insurer (which itself is a misnomer, they are a warranty provide as opposed to insurer), they set the rules based upon what the construction industry wants. It is effectively self regulation.

Claims to NHBC generally get redirected by them to the original contractor with an instruction to put it right. The only time NHBC may actually stump up the cash is where everyone involved in the build has ceased trading and cannot be held to account.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

A friend of mine has a Construction Company and all he does is assess new build houses and inform or put right the builds.

Some of the things he told me have forever put me off buying a new build. Below are some of the things I was told.

- Apprentice 17 year old Bricklayers building houses with no supervision
- Nearly 50% of houses on one estate requiring serious correction
- Nearly all new build houses failing Fire Service "Fire rating standards" often so poorly built that the walls funnel the flames up into the sleeping areas
- Coming to an estate round the corner from me and condemning 4 houses. They were so poor that it was cheaper to knock them down than to correct the mistakes
- Building companies buying obsolete and "Seconds" stock of household items including batches of faulty Bathrooms, Electrical equipment etc. Knowing it is faulty or not perfect.
- Houses often have no breather vents (seen in the video as well) that actually work (It's building regs so must be there but they are often fitted in to solid mortar
- Houses often have no, or substandard cavity insulation.
- Lastly he said that on every large estate the builders land fill the gardens with scrap building material and even metal to save on skips. They then cover it over with a thin layer of topsoil and then turf. Often the turf dies.

I could go on but its all very sad that profit takes precedence over quality, living standards and even safety.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

9 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

- Nearly 50% of houses on one estate requiring serious correction

I'd say that's an underestimate! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
55 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

- Lastly he said that on every large estate the builders land fill the gardens with scrap building material and even metal to save on skips. They then cover it over with a thin layer of topsoil and then turf. Often the turf dies.

That has been going on since Victorian times.

You've forgotten missing cavity barriers in blocks of flats. I've been involved in at least 3 entire estates where barriers were either undersized or missing on the whole development. Remedial works on each being measured in £multi millions. Most being identified when one of the blocks burned to the ground because of unchecked fire spread.

We are beginning to see some traction in "Clerk of Works" being employed.

1 hour ago, Colin P said:

Remedial works on each being measured in £multi millions. 

I read last week that most of the companies that build Large Blocks are formed purely for that build then closed. As such there is no legal come back on the building firms of large blocks. This is why there are so many problems with Cladding claims. The Company running the day to day contract of the Blocks are not the original company and aren't liable for any build issues!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM

@Kimbers from my experience that tends to be the developer/freeholder/investment vehicle (ie those commissioning the build) rather than the main contractors.

In my examples I'm talking household name builders, that are still significant and active companies, albeit much of the work is still sub contracted.

• Like 1