free hit
counters
Delorean Factory Tour - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Delorean Factory Tour

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

One of the better parts of the ownership proposition of the DeLorean is parts availability - Just about everything you could want you can still get (and not at horrific prices, although I'm sure DMCH have used the rise in values of the cars to inflate the parts prices too). I was waiting for Steven Wynne to talk about the mystical left front fender (wing) but they just kept blathering on about having 1000 doors! What they'd give to turn a few of those into left front wings :D 

5 minutes ago, jerzybondov said:

One of the better parts of the ownership proposition of the DeLorean is parts availability -

That was also shown in the Wheeler Dealers episode when they did one of these a few years ago. I thought they had all parts needed to build a new one. 

They broadly do. Problem is some of the NOS stuff has perished and they also have a problem with titles/vins - they have to build a ‘new’ car from the tub of an old one. They did re-manufacture a bunch of cars a few years ago but quality was generally no better than a well kept original example. And they charged a big premium!

Basically Steven W is sitting on a shit tonne of parts that will never get used (with only 6,000 cars still around, will 20% of them need new doors?!) so he’s trying to figure out ways of monetising it all.