free hit
counters
second thoughts? - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

second thoughts?

Beady

I noticed a couple of people seem to have pulled their deposit so wondered what the reasons were (assuming not personal / changes of circumstance etc).

I am beginning to question my deposit. Not about the car itself, more about being an early adopter (i bought a Launch edition Evora, one of the first 50ish so I have experience).

I was reading an old 2020 Evo copy in the barbers yesterday. The car data/review summary part at the back, basically summarised the Evora (400/410/430) as great cars 'but' the engine and gearbox were dated in this sector.

I would love a manual but in truth, the V6 engine was old when it was launched in the Evora and that was 12 years ago, so I just don't get spending £70/80k+ on a brand new car with a dinosaur engine (sorry folks, just my opinion)

So the AMG is where its at; trouble is that has been detuned for launch and will almost certainly get power increases along the way, possibly quite soon.

The Evora S came along within 12 months of Launch and the Evora did get a bit of bad press about being underpowered I recall.

My concern is that when it gets to the journos, the reviews will be summarised as: Great car, but a bit underpowered. V6 manual is past its sell by date and the AMG is underpowered so wait for the S version.

The comparisons will be clear - outgoing cars (all of them) are faster 0-60 that the brand new car.

The early Evoras also had quite a lot of build quality issues. Everything sorted under warranty so no real drama but the current Emira launch, roadshow in Sept, Journos in the new year, deliveries may be Spring, all seems very reminiscent of Evora Launch 

So i am really think to leave the deposit sat there (or take it back if i have to) and wait for the S to arrive. in a year or so.

Interested to hear any other thoughts of self doubt 

• Like 2

construction and property consultants : My company

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
55 minutes ago, freefall_junkie said:

For me the fact that the V6 is a 'dinosaur engine' is a big part of the appeal. In the not too distant future you simply won't be able to buy a sports car with a great-sounding, relatively large capacity V6, and certainly not one with a manual box. 

Early build quality is more of a concern. It certainly hasn't been great on the early production of previous Lotus models, but I am hoping input from Geely and a new factory with more automated production might help with this.

My attitude is this: don't over think it, you only live once, get the damn thing bought, and if by any chance you want to sell it on later the long waiting list will ensure very healthy residuals.  

Yup, word for word how I feel about it.  We only have about ten more years to enjoy (new) cars with dinosaur engines . . . don't waste any of them.

Using a known drivetrain means Lotus can get the car launched and generate income with no time pressure on the AMG setup. Don't be surprised to see AMG engined deliveries delayed for this very reason.

Performance - well it is plenty fast enough for the road whatever it has in it.

now seems a strange time to bail, there should be overlap between journalist road tests (the likes of Harris and Catchpole) and deposit becoming non refundable

All legit thoughts. Certainly complicates the do or don't process.  My biggest concerns are also "great car, but underpowered" and the early on quality issues scenario. 

A couple of energetically positive reviews from trusted automotive journalists would go a long way towards instilling pre-purchase confidence amongst otherwise hesitant buyers.

Edited by Napoli

• Gold FFM

Just think that for anyone pulling out so soon, it’s a personal choice but funds permitting just stick in there. What’s the worst thing that can happen “you don’t like it 🤔” You could probably sell it for more than you paid. Sure some Journo’s will remark on the “old Toyota engine” but it’s bombproof and the AMG unit with a DC auto box is also a great unit. Simply a good investment whichever you choose, No Brainer. Just now wishing I hadn’t sold my 220 Sport so quickly, got a great price, but just 2 months gone and even WBAC are offering close to what I paid 3 years ago 😖 moral here, if you have a decent Lotus or Lotus deposit don’t bail 👍

• Gold FFM
12 minutes ago, Simon Bateman said:

its still a 4 pot and a fairly well stressed one at 400+ BHP.

Well over 20 years ago lotus were smashing 300bhp out of a 4pot. 400bhp + out of that lump ain’t stressed.

the V6 lump is a fantastic thing - but a 4 pot turbo is something else.

Only here once

Being one of the later depositors (12th July), I’m not expected to get a car until mid 2023 tbh. 
If between now and then a more powerful version of the i4 is released then I’m hoping I’ll be able to change my order to one of those and just pay the inevitable extra cost. 

Future wish list - Exige V6

22 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Well over 20 years ago lotus were smashing 300bhp out of a 4pot. 400bhp + out of that lump ain’t stressed.

the V6 lump is a fantastic thing - but a 4 pot turbo is something else.

I've got a decent 4 pot turbo in my type R. It puts out 320bhp, but it doesn't sound like the Evora.

I'm sure the AMG engine is great, but just about every current hot hatch has a 2 litre 4 pot turbo.  They just dont feel special enough for me.

We will have to wait and see how many of these engines in the A45 have issues as the miles go on.

Either way, I dont see Lotus setting these up with more power than Mercedes are offering in their cars and as for the V6.....get it while you can, is my view. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Bateman said:

I've got a decent 4 pot turbo in my type R. It puts out 320bhp, but it doesn't sound like the Evora.

I'm sure the AMG engine is great, but just about every current hot hatch has a 2 litre 4 pot turbo.  They just dont feel special enough for me.

We will have to wait and see how many of these engines in the A45 have issues as the miles go on.

Either way, I dont see Lotus setting these up with more power than Mercedes are offering in their cars and as for the V6.....get it while you can, is my view. 

I don't mind a 4 pot as long as it sounds good, remember how good subarus sounded, ok, it was a boxer engine with unequal length manifolds.  I also had the FK8 Type R with the 2.0 engine and agreed it sounded pants, however my M2C is hardly a sonorous sound. I'd like to think Lotus would get the 2.0 sounding really good. 

I'm putting a deposit down, god knows how long I'll have to wait but its the last ICE car for me so why not 

• Like 1

I got an Evora GT this summer when I put down my Emira deposit. At the time I was hedging my bet on the Emira behind-seat space. So far it seems like it's nowhere near the Evora's. Now as we see more pics of the Emira interior and more specs, there's little tempting me away from the pure analog experience of the Evora. There's a greater than 75% chance the Evora is what I'll keep.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
16 hours ago, Denno said:

Being one of the later depositors (12th July), I’m not expected to get a car until mid 2023 tbh. 
If between now and then a more powerful version of the i4 is released then I’m hoping I’ll be able to change my order to one of those and just pay the inevitable extra cost. 

Wow, good point actually.  Given the current demand - if it pans out - then you may be right. If so, Lotus will cause a bit of confusion and disharmony if they offer the chance to put a deposit on a 'better' version before customers have even got their first cars.

Still, there will always be somebody to take your deposit so Lotus won't be bothered.  People on here are already mentioning the word 'waiting' on here more.

That wait could be a long time though - no thanks.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

17 hours ago, Simon Bateman said:

Do some research on the V6, or better still, drive one!

I had an Evora LE (6 yrs), S (2 yrs) and 400 (2 yrs) so i think i have done my research and love Lotus cars for handling and also rarity appeal.

I am not for one minute suggesting the V6 is a bad engine, far from it - it has generally proven to be reliable, reasonably economic and i agree the 400 sound is fantastic.

My concern is that such an old engine in a stunning brand new car just doesn't feel quite right.

There also seems to be a view that the drop out rate on initial deposits might be up to 30% so I am curious about the causes of this - what make people have second thoughts?

construction and property consultants : My company

I'm 90% going with the AMG. I've had the V6 in 2 consecutive Lotus' now so I am leaning to trying something else. The V6 is a good engine, the Lotus exhaust system makes a great noise and I wouldn't put people off if that was the way they wanted to go. However it's not a perfect powertrain. I'd put money on the low RPM gearbox noise not being resolved; though I haven't driven a GT410 Evora and perhaps they solved it with that car... In addition, if the box uses the same ratios as in the 400 then second gear will take you past 70MPH and it's pretty much on its torque limit out of the factory. I'd be far more interested in the V6 if Lotus confirmed it used a different clutch and gearbox.   

14 hours ago, Simon Bateman said:

It will be interesting to see if Lotus can actually get the V6 to sound as good as the current cars, now that they will have to fit a PPF and also (I assume) will no longer be allowed to fit a loud button to the exhaust.

I'm really curious about this too. Hopefully it will sound as good as the Evora 410 which is pretty epic at full chat, but if Lotus do end up having to mute the exhaust due to the latest regulations I'm sure there will be after-market alternatives from Quicksilver, Larini, 2bular etc within a few months of the first cars being delivered. 

After market exhaust solutions for the GPF are hard to come by.  Ferrari, thus far, has made the GPF on the F8 tinker proof in the sense that any attempts to bypass it will throw codes that indicate so and will void the warranty.  Lotus - and other manufacturers - may do the same.

Edited by Napoli