free hit
counters
second thoughts? - Page 4 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

second thoughts?

Beady

21 hours ago, Relic222 said:

I'm interested to know how Tesla have managed to keep all of their early donators in the Cyber Truck happy. They announced it ages ago, haven't let anyone actually get close to it, haven't provided any updates (other than delaying the launch) and still they have legions of fans throwing their money at them. In comparison, Lotus have been dragging a car around the country (and US) for people to view, it's only been a couple of months since it was announced, and yet people are already complaining about lack of updates. Maybe we should start smoking what the Tesla fans are smoking (although that wouldn't be environmentally friendly, so maybe they're not smoking at all).

Plus, it miserably failed the live and very public stone-throwing test.  Has there ever been a worse reveal?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have no second thoughts but I would be influenced if reviews from some trusted journalists were negatives in areas that I care about.  I would not change my opinion based on one random review but there are journalists who's opinions I value.  This is based on watching and reading reviews over time, for years, and developing a level of trust in those opinions as similar to mine.  I bought my GT4 without any test drives.  I put down a deposit way before any reviews were out.  When those reviews came out, it reinforced my interest in the car.  The first time I drove a GT4 was the day I picked up my car and I had very high confidence that I would like it and have similar opinions the the journalists that I trust.  That experience worked out for me.  I expect the Emira to be a really good package, but if somehow it fails to deliver in an area that I find important, and if that is highlighted by a trusted journalist, or reinforced by multiple journalists, I would absolutely have second thoughts and possibly even withdraw my deposit...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sonorous said:

I expect the Emira to be a really good package, but if somehow it fails to deliver in an area that I find important, and if that is highlighted by a trusted journalist, or reinforced by multiple journalists, I would absolutely have second thoughts and possibly even withdraw my deposit...

oh wow - you'd do that without a test drive to validate that their opinion was correct?!

I do hope we get to drive the car before spring! I'm itching to have a go....

13 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

Lots of GT4s bought off the back of good reviews for sure, trouble is many of the reviews were a foregone conclusion you tend to only read criticism of Porsche GT cars when the replacement comes out. For example the long gearing issue was never mentioned by anyone in the original GT4 reviews.

Well I certainly knew about the long gearing "issue" from reviews before I placed my factory order and it was validated when I drove the car.  No car is perfect and I was willing to overlook the gearing but personally I view it more of a nitpick than and actual issue.  The stock gearing is fantastic on track it is just not quite as engaging as it could be on a canyon run.  That being said, I did eventually re-gear my car so maybe I have achieved perfection. ;)  Also, with the 981 GT4 launch, wait lists, and one year of production, it was essentially impossible to test drive a car prior to ordering.  I think that risk was worth it in the end.  Unless Lotus has demo cars available, that may be the case here as well at least for a first year car.  With the shortage of cars, if one can acquire an Emira at MSRP, I doubt there is much financial risk and potentially even profit to be made on the short term should I (or more importantly my wife) not connect with it.

I wouldn't buy a car because the journos say its great (which is why I have test driven 911's in the past but never bought one).

However if the 'trusted' journos give the Emira a bad review then it might make me think twice about buying new at launch and I might just wait a while.

Interestingly I have not received the recent promo email direct from Lotus (in fact I have received nothing since acknowledgement of my deposit).

• Like 2

construction and property consultants : My company

1 hour ago, sonorous said:

100%, and does not give me the slightest stress.  Maybe I am crazy but my track record gives me confidence...  BTW I see you have a Macan GTS.  I do as well and LOVE it.  What a great do-it-all vehicle!

fair enough!

Macan... its ok... but I swapped a Vantage 4.7 coupe for it, hence I now need an Emira (or maybe the Cayman GTS... nice problem to have!), as whilst the Macan is alright for a 2 ton SUV... its still a 2 ton SUV!

23 minutes ago, sonorous said:

No car is perfect and I was willing to overlook the gearing but personally I view it more of a nitpick than and actual issue. 

That’s the problem with reviews… people who drive tons of cars get very picky about things that a lot of us wouldn’t even notice, or wouldn’t cause us much concern

It’s much less risk to the publisher in terms of subscriptions and ad revenue to take a swipe at a low volume car maker. Turns out the early 991s had awful numb epas, we only heard about it in the reviews of the much improved 991.2. 718 flat four also had an easy ride in the press initially gets panned now. They followed public opinion against it.

@sonorous the point is that your trusted reviewers never mentioned the long gearing in the original GT4 reviews. The word ‘perfect’ was used repeatedly. We agree no car is, so all fair and honest reviews should pick up some shortcomings. But find me one negative point for the 992 GT3. We’ll have to wait for the 992.2 for that. Equally no modern sports car is ‘crap’ they are all fast, competent civilised. There are no tricky on limit handling traits like older 911s, Clio V6, and some would add Elise S1 to the list. It’s the same with fast bikes they are all so good now thanks to modern electronics people just buy the one they like the look of!

• Like 1

@jimichanga This is a bit OT but there were early GT4 reviews that highlighted the long gearing and I took note of that but it did not stop my from ordering a car.  As for the 992 GT3 example, it is a really good car like any GT car, so negatives are always more likely to be nitpicks.  I have heard some negative comments about the GT3, mainly that it is more like the previous RS and that the ride is very "busy" on the street.  A negative?  Maybe, but it depends on the buyer and the use case.  I would have one in my garage without a test drive, that is for sure.

I guess my point is that journalists opinions of a car, especially negatives, can be used as one tool in a toolbox to help make an informed decision about a car purchase in a situation where it is not possible to test drive a car before ordering.  I am not so quick as to dismiss all reviews as rubbish, and I believe there are pieces of valuable information that can be pieced together by a consumer to make an informed decision.

So if I read something like "we are sad the Emira is so much heavier than any previous Lotus and we can feel that on road and track but it is still a great modern sports car" or "the Mercedes DCT occasionally hunts for gears but otherwise is very rapid" I am keeping my order.  If I read "Lotus has really lost its way with chassis tuning and there is a complete disconnect in the road feel with the Emira steering despite Lotus sticking with a hydraulic rack" then I would have second thoughts and I would seriously consider pulling my deposit and waiting for a test drive.

• Gold FFM

As a mini YouTuber - cough - I do enjoy getting bikes sent to me from Triumph, Honda and Yamaha. It is human nature to not bite the hand that feeds you.

Though to be fair, all modern motorcycles are bloody brilliant but I do try and see where a negative might be for others and point it out. It is usually something like extra firm suspension, wide seat, tall seat, unclear dash, etc.   

On one of my Triumph rides I did point out the mirrors swivelling around as really poor but, I concede, any reviewer is mostly biased towards pointing out the good bits.

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel