free hit
counters
The 600hp V6 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The 600hp V6

bosshog

So Radcliffe have just released info on their 600hp Evora/exige based car. It seems they’ve got the V6 with relative ease to the figure. 

Given there will be many Emira’s sold to our friends in the US and those guys love to tinker and make high hp, it will be interesting if someone there makes a solution for the gearbox or manages to find something else that could work with those numbers. 

Before everyone bangs on about 400hp being enough on the road I don’t disagree, but as a previous Evora owner I wanted the Emira to move the game on with the engine/gearbox and they didn’t which is by far the most disappointing aspect for me personally as given the extra weight it feels a bit of a step back .  Be nice if we can at least keep up the family SUV EV cars…

Edited by bosshog
  • Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Umm, I still think this is like marrying a sex-craving supermodel and then buying her fake boobs, eyelashes and a trout pout.

Then again... ha, as much as I believe 416 is enough, would I turn away a 500HP car from Lotus?   Nah.

Let's sort out a drive in the Radford.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

I'm not sure I'd count rebuilding most of the engine with stronger components and replacing the gearbox as "relative ease" :)  

People have taken V6 Evora/Exige to 450hp+ but it'll cost £20k+ to get there, so I understand why Lotus are sticking with the 416hp version and letting people decide if they want to do the rest as aftermarket work.

It seems clear their strategy is to use the V6 as a proven powerplant to get the car launched slightly quicker than a new installation and as a known quantity.  Meanwhile getting the AMG i4 in as a base but with opportunity to tune that themselves in a hotter future Emira.

It's interesting the Emira GT4 is sticking with the Toyota V6 and I wonder if they might do an AMG-engined version in future.

• Like 1

The problem from what I hear is that Lotus would have to get the V6 re-federalized if they make any internal changes. That plus I assume its using the Audi (I think) DCT that JUBU sells for like $25k or something for the Evora.

As I mentioned in other posts, its unlikely Geely was interested in investing much money into the Emira's powertrain, thus why we are probably stuck with the V6 (for good or bad) as it was in the Evora, I doubt you will see the V6 go higher than 430HP in the Emira unless they can find another gearbox. The AMG is probably their only chance of producing something over 430HP for the Emira.

Edited by Likuid

• Gold FFM

The amg unit folks have got over 500bhp pretty easily out of it - raising to well over 600 by doing more stuff. Ummmm that leaves the V6 as a dead duck frankly.

Only here once

That’s true if Lotus jump the AMG to 450/500/550 fairly quickly, say in the 18-24 months after launch.

But on the production cars the ECU will be encrypted, so anyone who wants to do aftermarket tuning will have to void their Lotus warranty and either have none or hope that an aftermarket tuner will warranty their tune on the AMG. That’s not for everyone. 

I think there will still be a market for the V6 after the AMG overtakes it on headline power. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TomE said:

I think there will still be a market for the V6 after the AMG overtakes it on headline power. 

I agree. First there is the simple issue that many enthusiasts, me included, want a manual box. Then there is the noise, which is always going to be miles better on the V6, and we also need to remember the Emira is a global car. The US market market generally still does not like downsized turbos in sports cars. I have an American friend from Florida who has owned a string of Porsches and he wouldn't even consider a 4 cylinder 718 Cayman/Boxster.

It is great though that we have a choice of ICE power trains, both appealing in different ways. I had feared we would end up with some horrible over weight, over complicated hybrid. And it has hydraulic steering - there is much to celebrate 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Ffs @pete comeon - if they want to compete against Porsche that’s simply not relevant 

Which Porsche is that then 

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

22 hours ago, TomE said:

I'm not sure I'd count rebuilding most of the engine with stronger components and replacing the gearbox as "relative ease" :)  

People have taken V6 Evora/Exige to 450hp+ but it'll cost £20k+ to get there, so I understand why Lotus are sticking with the 416hp version and letting people decide if they want to do the rest as aftermarket work.

It seems clear their strategy is to use the V6 as a proven powerplant to get the car launched slightly quicker than a new installation and as a known quantity.  Meanwhile getting the AMG i4 in as a base but with opportunity to tune that themselves in a hotter future Emira.

It's interesting the Emira GT4 is sticking with the Toyota V6 and I wonder if they might do an AMG-engined version in future.

Komotech ex475 pack for a 410-430 is 6k GBP, way less than 20k

• Gold FFM

Whatever ones thoughts on power I still see the car as a bargain.  A superb looking car with 416HP, great driving and let's not forget more than £20,000 less the last 430HP Lotus.

There is everything to celebrate with this.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

• Gold FFM
12 minutes ago, Evotion said:

A superb looking car with 416HP, great driving and let's not forget more than £20,000 less the last 430HP Lotus.

That right there is a massive assumption. Let’s see the numbers 👍

Only here once

2 hours ago, cuprapw said:

Komotech ex475 pack for a 410-430 is 6k GBP, way less than 20k

That's true, I'm thinking about the EV460 kit for the older cars which is something like £11k + installation.  It depends on your starting point and taking a 410 to 450/460 is going to be cheaper

This Evora with a Komotec upgrade would make me think twice about modifying a car from a resale point of view: Used Lotus Evora 3.5 V6 400 2dr for sale | PistonHeads UK It must have been languishing unsold at the dealer for the best part of two years now. Great colour too - I am sure if it was standard without the cosmetic mods it would have sold.

1 hour ago, TomE said:

That's true, I'm thinking about the EV460 kit for the older cars which is something like £11k + installation.  It depends on your starting point and taking a 410 to 450/460 is going to be cheaper

Ah Ok, definitely, adding charge cooling to the kit (EX 460) is around 15k Eur 👍

36 minutes ago, freefall_junkie said:

This Evora with a Komotec upgrade would make me think twice about modifying a car from a resale point of view: Used Lotus Evora 3.5 V6 400 2dr for sale | PistonHeads UK It must have been languishing unsold at the dealer for the best part of two years now. Great colour too - I am sure if it was standard without the cosmetic mods it would have sold.

That car is 10k overpriced. Mods add no value really. If it were 55kish it probably would have sold this summer 

• Gold FFM

I heard a rumour that Lotus was looking to increase the Toque of the V6 engine.  I guess if they have successfully done this then the acceleration speed would be quicker in the Emira.  Or is the real issue the gear box handling the extra torque or Hp.

Also I believe Swindon upgrades can take the V6 to 600BHP.  I think ES Motorsport have done this.  Not sure if they have changed the gear box as well. 

All the Best

Greg

5 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

That right there is a massive assumption. Let’s see the numbers 👍

It's you who is making all these assumptions and speculations

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

600bhp Radford and Emira GT4 both use Harrop TVS 1900 supercharger so safe bet that faster V6 Emira will use that not Edelbrock unit from later Evoras and recent Exiges. It’s obviously larger and heavier but must be more effective. It’s been available as an after market upgrade on Evoras and Exiges for some time. Good validation to see it as the supercharger of choice for GT4. Rumour I heard was Emira V6 was going to launch with ‘a bigger supercharger and 450bhp’ they obviously scrapped that to keep the launch car’s price down which has proven to be critical to the car’s reception. But it wouldn’t be at all surprising to see that spec on a faster Emira S.

All this talk of 400bhp being more than enough for the road is very convenient as it just happens to be all you’re offered for now. So if it was 350bhp I’m sure we’d hear the same comments, most seem to think AMG is plenty powerful for the road too. 300bhp? Evora NA was plenty quick with 280 and so on. The point is lots of power is fun which is why anyone buys a fast car. We wouldn’t see a single cancelled order if Emira was 450bhp provided it was still attractively priced. Can’t see anyone here honestly going for AMG on the grounds that the V6 was too fast for the road.

I think you all missing the point of my post , it’s not about making the V6 more powerful as clearly it’s not too difficult. It’s about finding a gear box that can handle more torque.

• Like 2