free hit
counters
Catalytic Converter Theft - Big Issue? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Catalytic Converter Theft - Big Issue?

• Gold FFM

I was aware of it from videos sent by mates on WhatsApp - mostly in disbelief at the risk the thieves take cutting one out on your driveway.

Then saw this video from the Car Guys on YouTube,

Blimey - scary stuff. Seems all cars are targeted beforehand.

I don't know anybody this has happened to but intersting that there are now security measures you can take to prevent CC theft.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This is part of the reasons why I prefer classic cars.

Several cars in the village were hit a couple months back, the damage was the exhaust either side of the CAT along with a bent wing from the pricks lifting it for Jack access and a bent floor pan on the owners car I knew.
Unfortunately this is going to get worse before it gets better as Police rarely follow up such crimes due to little chance of catching them or achieving a prosecution.

The attack locally to me only resulted in a crime reference number being provided for insurance purposes.

CCTV only provides a deterrent but these people cover their faces, turn up in a unregistered or hot car and are generally tooled up literally, most garages are not big enough for modern cars so not sure what can be done?

Perhaps some sort of legislation on sales of secondhand CATs being only through regulated vehicle dismantlers? Again so hard to enforce…..

A couple of online options

F3809391-891C-40B5-BFBB-0EBE15D714FE.jpeg.27463d8818cceb0cf986f2a951324a5c.jpegB47EEFFD-83FD-48D3-B854-5B966C712F39.jpeg.788db5a30ccfee6c1f247ad78d739c20.jpeg

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

I had the cats stolen from my 1995 BMW 740i a few weeks ago. It really made my boil when I went to switch the car on and a thunderous roar and vibration came from underneath the car.

I took it it my local mechanic who will fit some aftermarket cats. On the bright side, they cut after the O2 sensors so at least I don’t have that cost to deal with as well.

Obviously I was worried they would subsequently also be stolen but apparently they are worthless as they contain alternative compounds instead of precious metals.

He also reckons these thieves know the difference and when they jack the car and see them, they will not bother removing them. Let’s see !

50B33D59-F0CC-48E7-A0E7-04EC4AA602DD.jpeg

• Sad 1

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

I had the cat cut off my van back in 2013, this was the night before I had its MOT booked. Had to fit an aftermarket one in a hurry to get it MOTd and then removed it and fitted a straight through piece of pipe, it's gone through its MOT like this ever since passing it's emission test every time

1 hour ago, Bling said:

I took it it my local mechanic who will fit some aftermarket cats. On the bright side, they cut after the O2 sensors so at least I don’t have that cost to deal with as well

What impact has that had on the engine management light and MOT?

• Gold FFM

It would probably fail an MOT as it stood but I didn't drive it other than a mile up the road to the mechanic on Saturday. 
Because the cut the cats after the O2 sensor. no EML is showing...lucky

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

• Gold FFM
On 12/09/2021 at 09:24, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Perhaps some sort of legislation on sales of secondhand CATs being only through regulated vehicle dismantlers?

Makes sense - plus a window etching or warning. One doesn't want them lifting the car in the first place.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel