free hit
counters
Emira UK Roadshow - Page 17 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content


IGNORED

Emira UK Roadshow


Evotion

Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Bibs said:

There was a running change to the Evora to increase the size of the clutch plate which has really increased their durability. While the Emira is fitted with the same engine/transmission/clutch combo as the latest Evora, we know on here that clutches really don't wear quickly or fail often so it's not too much of an issue. Another point is that the Emira will have a 3 year warranty so that's 3 worry free years including the clutch and also that dealerships have been changing clutches now for some time on the Evora so know quicker, non-engine removal ways to drop the gearbox so it's much less than 30 hours nowadays for a clutch change. This also only applies to the V6, I believe that the I4 will have an alternative and quicker engine removal method should this be required. 

Thanks Bibs, all valid points and I know the possibility of clutch failure has been over blown.  I knew indies had got the repair done in less time, so good to hear that Lotus have officially too.

Is there any info on whether the Evora running changes or work for the Emira have reduced the sometimes agricultural transmission noise and susceptibility for some cars to have a rattle at low speeds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DJW said:

Had same problem with my S1 and was still there in 400 I test drove, so I went auto with the 400.  Raised a question with Rybrook to ask Lotus if they had resolved for the Emira.  Chased after a couple of weeks and was told Lotus were aware of the historic problem but couldn’t confirm if resolved. 
 

Thus I’m going Auto again with the Emira as based on years of Lotus ownership I’m not that confident they will sort it fully. Plus I like the auto box anyway, and  can sound like a heel and toe god on down changes 😆

I asked last night and was told that it's much better than early Evora (my reference point) and with the extra sound proofing compared to other V6 engined cars, it's only something you notice when you labour the engine at low rpm.  Take from that what you will.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Del Lardo said:

…. it's only something you notice when you labour the engine at low rpm.  Take from that what you will.

Which unfortunately was exactly the problem I had with my Evora, so although it may be improved, the fact they mention it shows it’s still a problem :( 

As I know this problem doesn’t exist with the auto and I enjoyed the auto on the 400,  for me I’ll go that route 

thanks for update btw. 

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a good point Graham. If the car is a weekend toy that is often kept higher in the rev range you won’t notice it.  However I found as the Evora was used as a daily driver I often was in traffic at lower revs expecting to be able to use torque of engine to accelerate without changing down, as per any other 350 bhp car.  It was then you experienced the transmission noise.

Hopefully they’ve been able to dampen it down enough not to be a problem for majority of new owners 👍

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Previous NA owner and in the ownership of a 2020 410 sport now, driven most Evora’s including 430 and the transmission is still as noisy as it was from day one and honestly can be a pain when you are doing any town driving. I sincerely hope Lotus manage to rectify this problem, if not i would go for the auto.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Bibs said:

There was a running change to the Evora to increase the size of the clutch plate which has really increased their durability. While the Emira is fitted with the same engine/transmission/clutch combo as the latest Evora, we know on here that clutches really don't wear quickly or fail often so it's not too much of an issue. Another point is that the Emira will have a 3 year warranty so that's 3 worry free years including the clutch and also that dealerships have been changing clutches now for some time on the Evora so know quicker, non-engine removal ways to drop the gearbox so it's much less than 30 hours nowadays for a clutch change. This also only applies to the V6, I believe that the I4 will have an alternative and quicker engine removal method should this be required. 

Have they not also moved from the "clams" approach to individual body panels? I believe the rear clam removal/re-fitment was a big part of the labour cost?  Hope I'm not trash talking here?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Denno said:

Not sure how long Lotus Rybrook Birmingham have the car but if you haven’t got an appointment you might be able to just pop down there and have a nose. I turned up for a 3pm appointment today and wasn’t asked to confirm invite or anything, just walked in.

There was no official unveiling as such and no opening speech, not sure why. Spent a good 20 minutes having a nose round and then went over to Porsche a couple of miles up the road. I was having a look round two 992’s and was surprised how similar in size they appeared in relation to the Emira. Whether it was because the Lotus was viewed inside and the 911’s outside but was expecting the latter to be much bigger.

 

Today was the day for people who have registered an interest in buying the Emira, rather than the deposit makers who were invited to yesterday's longer sessions. We were signed in for yesterday's sessions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Have they not also moved from the "clams" approach to individual body panels? I believe the rear clam removal/re-fitment was a big part of the labour cost?  Hope I'm not trash talking here?

Was told by lotus development engineer that all panels are now individual, no clams🤗. Servicing and maintenance is much easier. And the panels after made from chopped fibre glass sprayed into a mould.

Edited by mneil
text
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Have they not also moved from the "clams" approach to individual body panels? I believe the rear clam removal/re-fitment was a big part of the labour cost?  Hope I'm not trash talking here?

I think the clam removal was less than an hour, it's removing the engine which takes the time which is why it's good tech's at dealerships have worked out how to remove the gearbox sans engine. 

  • Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM

Reading all this , it still seems to me that people are more than positive after they have viewed the car in the flesh. Nobody to my knowledge has seen the car and then decided against it. This is a big positive.

All the talk about noise, transmissions, weight, clutch wear, etc, really won't matter to all those who are not on this forum which is 90% plus of deposit payers.

I heard earl doors that rather than the bolt on same transmission that Lotus have spent decent time on improving the overall gearing  and flow to improve talk. We won't be able to confirm this until the cars are driven in anger and in comparison to the later Evoras but keep the faith - Lotus will be all over this as a car for the ages.

  • Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM
57 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Reading all this , it still seems to me that people are more than positive after they have viewed the car in the flesh. Nobody to my knowledge has seen the car and then decided against it. This is a big positive.

There are people on the Facebook groups cancelling after viewing.  And also deciding to defer so they can see production spec cars and/or see evidence of production build quality and level of initial issues. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PaperLawyer said:

Today was the day for people who have registered an interest in buying the Emira, rather than the deposit makers who were invited to yesterday's longer sessions. We were signed in for yesterday's sessions.

Again it just highlights the poor communication from Lotus from the get go. I had to chase the dealer for my invite, the response was to contact Lotus direct. Lotus then sent me a link to book but stated that I could just arrange direct with the dealer if I preferred.

Having seen the car though I came away a little underwhelmed but can’t point my finger on why. 
The wife who couldn’t care less about cars said that the Emira looked the nicest out of all the cars there, that included a Lambo, Maclaren’s and Aston Martins. 

 

  • Like 1

Future wish list - Exige V6

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TomE said:

There are people on the Facebook groups cancelling after viewing.  And also deciding to defer so they can see production spec cars and/or see evidence of production build quality and level of initial issues. 

One thing I would say, the seating position in the demo car is really awful. I’m 5’11 and was really high up.

I’m not worried as the Lotus chap confirmed they are not representative as has been echoed on here. I do expect there will be people who have left thinking they are too tall as it wasn’t really communicated  how “pre-production” the seats are.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM

A big contributor to that is the black headlining, which is the default on all First Editions as part of the Design Pack and doesn’t change with choice of interior trim.

I’m not worried about it being dark inside as almost all my cars have had black or dark grey interiors.  It does mean the seats and dash can be hot when you come back to a car parked in the sun, but for the few days of the year that happens I can cope!

I like the enclosed aspect of it, and similarly with the Evora.  I’ve heard others say it feels a bit like an aircraft cockpit.  It certainly feels driver-focused. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM

Yes I think the seating position is slightly further forward.  The cabin/engine bulkhead has also moved forward to give more engine bay space for thermal management and hence you have that sense of less cabin space behind you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mickle said:

One thing I would say, the seating position in the demo car is really awful. I’m 5’11 and was really high up.

I’m not worried as the Lotus chap confirmed they are not representative as has been echoed on here. I do expect there will be people who have left thinking they are too tall as it wasn’t really communicated  how “pre-production” the seats are.

Have you sat in an Evora? I always thought it felt high at least compared to the Elise. The 410 carbons where better. I can't see it being that much different to the Evora but let's see who the manufacture will be.

Edited by bosshog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mneil said:

but whilst seated in the car it was apparent how dark and slightly claustrophobic it felt

I felt it was lighter and easier to see out of - as mine has no rear side windows and the slatted duck tail, so seems dark. Would want to actually try sit in and drive it before any purchase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...