free hit
counters
Emira UK Roadshow - Page 16 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Emira UK Roadshow

Evotion

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
5 minutes ago, Del Lardo said:

Someone had mentioned further up that they chap doing the intro (Scott I think, I'm awful with names) was not a great presenter.  Well some people are comfortable presenting to a room full of people, some are not and I'd say he's in the latter group.  It's part of my job and something that took quite some time, effort and practice to get good at so fair play to him for what I thought was a good intro, I'd rather hear about the car from someone with a clear passion for the marque than someone who knows how to work a room full of people.

I spoke with Scott for some time at Hendy Exeter, he had seen the mention of this earlier, and had since changed what was said, I think what he was provided with what to say by some 'marketing experts' and it was not quite what people needed to hear. Less about what most people already know and more about the actual car. Got on well with him as it was he who spec'd the olive green on my (and the other) gt430. Scott certainly has a enthusiasm for the lotus brand. 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, bosshog said:

It’s exactly the same V6 and gearbox with no modifications.

That wasn't the question asked to be fair by @KJD Sometimes it does help to "read" the question before answering!  :)

He was asking about the below - we know it is a different exhaust for example for a start, and I believe I have read that the "placement" of the engine relative to the Evora may be different too, but I don't know for certain.  

12 hours ago, KJD said:

How specifically does the installation of the V6 and manual gearbox differ from the Evora?

Something was said about “Induction and Exhaust” work. What exactly?

Is it too much to hope for an auto-blipper, for example?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

21 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

That wasn't the question asked to be fair by @KJD Sometimes it does help to "read" the question before answering!  :)

He was asking about the below - we know it is a different exhaust for example for a start, and I believe I have read that the "placement" of the engine relative to the Evora may be different too, but I don't know for certain.  

Jez. I did read the question. So you don't like the answer .

The engine is in the same position. It's the same engine and box. I don't know for certain about the exhaust/induction do did not answer that.

1 hour ago, Del Lardo said:

Auto clipper on Auto, not on manual.

I knew that thanks. Was hoping for one on the manual. Heel and toe is notoriously inconsistent on this gearbox.

22 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

That wasn't the question asked to be fair

Thank you @C8RKH

But if it turns out to be the answer then that will the slightly disappointing thing about the Emira.

I would have hoped Lotus could have taken the opportunity to  modernise it a bit.

Was at Solihull yesterday around 13:15 so sure I met some of you on here. Car is stunning but as others have stated the colour samples are quite a way off configurator for green, red and nimbus so you need to see them in the flesh to finalise spec. 

I took some photos with piece of white and grey car in shot to help white balance. Don’t have space on my account to share here , so have posted elsewhere where I see a lot of similar usernames. 

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, bosshog said:

So you don't like the answer .

Nothing to do with not liking the answer, you just did not answer the question posed, I just pointed it out like any good pedant would :)

Not going to fall out about it though (but if you want to, then show me where he asked if the engine and gearbox where the same (your answer), the question was about configuration and we know that is different as we have been told this is an all new chassis (not the Evora's) and the induction and exhaust is different).

Sorry for being the resident pedant, I'll leave it alone now.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

@KJDspeaking to Jim the lotus development engineer in sure he said that the seating position is more towards the front end than the Evora, gives better feedback from the steering.

The V6 is as it comes from Toyota, mechanically they don't touch it, it's such a bomb proof engine. The gearbox has new internals, gearing etc.

The supercharger was first seen as an add on to the Camry in Australia by Toyota. Jim was on the team that first fitted it here and it was such a success that the idea is still used.

Every part and design of the Emira is new and different from the Evora. Jim stressed how he felt the Emira to be a step up in every way from all their previous models, it really is their best work to date.

I guess some people want to know about the clutch and how the transmission is bolted together.  It was seen as one of the weak points in the Evora.  So if they’ve not done much to it then there could be concern about transmission noise.  Plus if it’s still a theoretical 30+ hour job to change the clutch. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Nothing to do with not liking the answer, you just did not answer the question posed, I just pointed it out like any good pedant would :)

Not going to fall out about it though (but if you want to, then show me where he asked if the engine and gearbox where the same (your answer), the question was about configuration and we know that is different as we have been told this is an all new chassis (not the Evora's) and the induction and exhaust is different).

Sorry for being the resident pedant, I'll leave it alone now.

Well, you’re kinda both right. Sorry to start a row.

I used the word “installation” meaning everything about the powertrain.

It’s common knowledge the engine is used “out of the crate” from Toyota (possibly contractually)

I’m aware the gearbox internals are modified and a Lotus-made adapter plate is used to join it to the engine.

The exhaust is clearly different but any more so than 2 outlets rather than one?

The airbox looks to be different (inlet pipe to the supercharger points forward rather than rearwards as in the Evora) but to what effect?

My point about an auto-blipper is that it’s something (software-based, I assume) that could have been done but appears not to have been.

Maybe I’m doing Lotus a disservice and they’ve done a lot of work to the powertrain but they’re certainly not shouting about it if they have.

As I said, that’s slightly disappointing, being as the rest of the car is “all new”.

I don’t doubt it’ll still be fantastic though, before you all flame me for being miserable!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TomE said:

I guess some people want to know about the clutch and how the transmission is bolted together.  It was seen as one of the weak points in the Evora.  So if they’ve not done much to it then there could be concern about transmission noise.  Plus if it’s still a theoretical 30+ hour job to change the clutch. 

This. 

5 minutes ago, TomE said:

Do you mean to make it quieter Tom?

It’s a pretty noisy transmission installation which bothers some people (not me - this’ll be my 3rd car with the same setup) and it’s another thing that could have been “modernised”.

20 minutes ago, EmiraJam said:

they made no attempt to say ‘Hi’.

They did not have a great involvement in the event as it was all set up/arranged by lotus, at Exeter, the sales guys came out and said hi to those they had some knowledge of, or were dealing with regarding recent sales/prospects, but also spent some time in their office. 

Rybrook had never replied to a couple of queries I sent them and they we going to have a open/workshop sort of event, but that has never materialised. ie https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/113451-rybrook-lotus-service-clinics/ which was also in the club lotus magazine.

They've been pushed back to next Spring at the request of Lotus I believe.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

59 minutes ago, KJD said:

Do you mean to make it quieter Tom?

It’s a pretty noisy transmission installation which bothers some people (not me - this’ll be my 3rd car with the same setup) and it’s another thing that could have been “modernised”.

A couple of things.  Firstly the overall transmission noise and NVH, as it can sound a bit agricultural (certainly on my S1).

Secondly the tendency for some cars to have a pronounced rattle at idle and low rpm, usually attributed to the adaptor plate setup and/or throw out bearing.

Lotus know about these, so I hope have engineered them out.

So do I.

An example of what I’m on about, “modernising”.

I’m hoping they’ve taken the opportunity to “tidy up” some things.

2 hours ago, TomE said:

There was a running change to the Evora to increase the size of the clutch plate which has really increased their durability. While the Emira is fitted with the same engine/transmission/clutch combo as the latest Evora, we know on here that clutches really don't wear quickly or fail often so it's not too much of an issue. Another point is that the Emira will have a 3 year warranty so that's 3 worry free years including the clutch and also that dealerships have been changing clutches now for some time on the Evora so know quicker, non-engine removal ways to drop the gearbox so it's much less than 30 hours nowadays for a clutch change. This also only applies to the V6, I believe that the I4 will have an alternative and quicker engine removal method should this be required. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Not sure how long Lotus Rybrook Birmingham have the car but if you haven’t got an appointment you might be able to just pop down there and have a nose. I turned up for a 3pm appointment today and wasn’t asked to confirm invite or anything, just walked in.

There was no official unveiling as such and no opening speech, not sure why. Spent a good 20 minutes having a nose round and then went over to Porsche a couple of miles up the road. I was having a look round two 992’s and was surprised how similar in size they appeared in relation to the Emira. Whether it was because the Lotus was viewed inside and the 911’s outside but was expecting the latter to be much bigger.

Edited by Denno

Future wish list - Exige V6