free hit
counters
Emira UK Roadshow - Page 20 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Emira UK Roadshow

Evotion

1 hour ago, duncx said:

I've been to see the car at Central Lotus today too, not much to add to what's been said so far except maybe ...

My head was brushing the roof (6'3") and my eyeline was level with the top of the screen, plus the slightly drooping sunvisor didn't help my forwards visibility :lol:  Nobody knows (not even Scott!) if the seats are 'stuck' in the lowest adjustable position, although everyone I spoke to said they are definitely mounted too high. Scott said he didn't know where the 20mm too high figure came from, he thinks it's more like 30mm. Basically, the seats we are seeing at the moment are wrong, and at 6'3" Scott reckons I won't have a problem.

Overall the car looked great. It's much more of a 'model' than the real thing but the overall package looks sufficiently promising to give me the confidence to spec up a FE car and make the next payment. In all honesty I had recently been considering stepping off the queue and waiting for 'own spec' cars but I'm really not sure how long that's going to be? If they can sell fully specced cars for 2 years or so then why would they sell anything cheaper? Could be a very long wait (and maybe even a fruitless one?) for that £60K base car!

If only there were some different colours - a simple Ardent Red would suit me just fine :hope:

EDIT: Just remembered, for those wanting the tan leather, I am happy to report that the tan sample is a really nice colour, no hint of the orangeyness that I've seen on some photos, just a straightforward (and quite rich) tan colour. Spot on :thumbsup:

P1020948.JPG

I'm hoping it is going to be possible to get the seat much lower in the production car. I reckon for me it needs to come down a good 5cm+ from where it was stuck on the show car. Unfortunately Lotus do have past form for ruining an otherwise great car with a bizarrely mounted seat (see Evora 410 Sport) .  This pic of JB give me grounds for optimism that the prod car will be a whole lot better. He is 6ft and looks low in the car with his eye line a long way below the top of the windscreen.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
12 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I'm surprised by this. I didn't get this sense at all to be honest. To me it's a sports car, not a supercar, and does not have the presence (size) of a supercar. When you stand next to the latest supercars from Ferrari, McLaren, et al the one thing that hits you (well it hits me anyway) is the size of the things. They are not small cars at all, to the extent they would not be a great B road blaster!  Sure, a non major trunk road "A" blaster and a delight on those slightly wider roads that accommodate HGV's, large buses etc. Whereas the Emira is an Evora/Exige sized car (think it is around 2 inches wider only - need to check) and so more suitable to UK roads.  My point, a supercar not only needs to have the design, but it needs a hell of a lot more power and size too.  The Esprit was up there with the Ferrari's etc of its time in terms of performance, proportions, looks etc. The Emira has the looks only I'm afraid.  It's a great car, a great design, but in my mind calling it a Supercar is being over enthusiastic.  I'm sure many will disagree with me.

Hello,

I am curious, as this will be my first Lotus and truth be told I have never seen one in the flesh, I would like to get more feedback from you if possible. I live in the US and I do plan to visit my local Lotus dealer to look at and maybe test drive an Evora. Since I am on the waiting list for the Emira I have searched for any information on this forum and others in order to get an idea of the size of the Emira. I know the dimensions and I use that to compare with other similar sized vehicles and from my perspective it should be similar in size to a Porsche 911 and even and 2014 C7 Corvette which I have owned in the past. If I go by the dimensions published then the Emira is technically not a small vehicle, yet all I hear is that it is a small sports car. The C7 is only 3" inches longer and is the same width as the Emira. As an owner of a C7 I can say it was not a small sports car so can anyone tell me what can I expect? As I said I will look at an Evora which will pretty much give me a good idea of what I can expect in size, but this won't be until end of October when I will have time to drive down there. Thanks for any help and sorry if this is a redundant post.

People on this thread are saying the Emira is wider than an Evora but if you look at the published specs they're basically the same size - so seeing an Evora in the flesh should give you a pretty good idea of the Emira's size!

• Gold FFM

Well according to Lotus people and dealer people at the launch at my Dealer, it is definitely wider at the rear. From the specs I've seen, Evora is 185.8cm v Emira of 189.5cm, so 2 inches wider.

Edited by Bravo73

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

The measurement with mirrors is 2092mm, more than the 1978mm I am used to with our 981, 1895mm against 1801mm with the mirrors folded. 114mm wider with mirrors and 94mm folded but luckily narrow enough to go through the garage doors.

The mirrors do seem large but with rear window visibility restricted, possibly necessary, are there any images of the folded position?

• Gold FFM

Only time I have a problem in my Evora (with no rear glass, just carbon slats) with rear visibility is parking, but then the reversing camera takes care of that.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, freefall_junkie said:

Just wondering where these figures came from? I thought the 1895mm figure on the Lotus website was with mirrors out? 2092 would be Lambo wide 🙂

1895mm is mirrors FOLDED as per the Lotus Media site for the Emira:

LOTUS EMIRA RANGE TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

Price range

Starting at less than £60,000 (less than €72,000)

Dimensions

Length 4,412mm; width 1,895mm (mirrors folded); height 1,225mm; wheelbase 2,575mm

Petrol engines

2.0-litre in-line four-cylinder / 3.5-litre V6

Transmissions

Manual, automatic and DCT

Power output

360-400hp

Maximum torque

430Nm

Acceleration

(0-62mph / 0-100km/h)

Less than 4.5 seconds

Top speed

Up to 180mph (290km/h)

CO2 emissions

Start below 180g/km

Kerb weight (DIN)

1,405kg in its lightest form

• Like 1

Yes, this is what struck me when viewing it. I had a chat about the width with Lotus guy who showed me a width comparison chart against range of other cars. Bit confusing using mirrors folded as measure. I would prefer to use wheel outer edge to outer edge or something else that is fixed. They showed comparisons to an odd range of cars inc. Mustang and 340Z. From memory the AlpineA110 was only one narrower but frustratingly they did not compare to Evora and simply said about 2inches wider.

You will learn to stop outside your garage, get out, open the garage door, stand in the centre of the open doorway and look directly at the front of your car. If the Lotus badge lines up exactly with your garage door handle/rope, you can get back into the car and safely drive in.

If not, you will have to get back in the car, reverse and try again and keep repeating until you are 100% certain. Your neighbours will think you are mental though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

You will learn to stop outside your garage, get out, open the garage door, stand in the centre of the open doorway and look directly at the front of your car. If the Lotus badge lines up exactly with your garage door handle/rope, you can get back into the car and safely drive in.

If not, you will have to get back in the car, reverse and try again and keep repeating until you are 100% certain. Your neighbours will think you are mental though.

🤣🤣🤣 Luckily we have no neighbours, but the dogs will wonder what is going on.

I might put a mirror on the back wall to save making too much of an idiot of myself. 😎

The other half already knows I am mental 🥴

• Haha 2

Yes I would say the Emira has similar dimensions to 992 within 10/20mm tolerance. Luckily doesn't suffer from the 992's bloated visual appearance😉.

My 981 Boxster fitted perfectly into the secure space left by my Evora😃.

Edited by mneil
text

• Gold FFM

@Style Re your question “length compared to 911”

Here are the dimensions of the current 911 Carrera 

Length 4,519 mm

Width (with mirrors folded)1,852 mm

Width (without mirrors folded)2,024 mm

Height 1,298 mm

So the Emira is a little shorter, but is wider and lower. Closer to a Vantage size or Audi R8 size and profile. as already stated 911 looks a little bloated by comparison

3 hours ago, Style said:

Can someone who has seen the Emira confirm that it at least visually LOOKS the size of a Porsche 911 length wise?

After seeing the Emira I went straight to Porsche which was only a couple of miles away and looking over some 992’s they looked very similar in size to the Emira.

Future wish list - Exige V6

Thanks guys. I do know the dimensions and compared it to other vehicle sizes, and based on those dimensions I was confident it was the size of some larger sports cars. What was throwing me for a loop was the constant remarks that the Emirs is a small sports car. Now that you have given me something to go on I can comfortably say in my opinion it is not a small sports car but just a sports car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Style said:

Can someone who has seen the Emira confirm that it at least visually LOOKS the size of a Porsche 911 length wise?

Bit of an open-ended question isn’t it?

Visually or actually? Just cos it looks like it’ll fit in your garage doesn’t mean it actually will.

Google says a 992 911 is 4535mm, Emira is 4412mm, so about 5 inches shorter.

The technical drawing shows the “mirrors folded” width (1895) as the measurement across the rear tyres/wheelarches, so when the mirrors are folded they are out of that equation.

The Emira being 2 inches wider than my Evora at the wheels will not be “Lambo wide”. An Aventador is 2030/2265 without/with mirrors. Emira is 1895/2092, so 6 to 7 inches narrower!

I haven’t had the pleasure of trying to fit an Aventador through a 6’6” width restriction but I don’t really want to!

You won’t even need to slow down in an Emira. 😉

On 20/10/2021 at 01:28, tailslides said:

Luckily the garage is 2370mm wide, I am sure it will still be bum clenching every time though 🤣

Easy to fix.

First park the car in the garage as suggested by Michael. @LotusLeftLotusRight Also make sure that the car is as far into the garage as to where you want to park it.

Then, drill two holes in a cheap tennis ball on either side and thread a long piece of string through the holes and tie off on one side so that the ball doesn't fall off the string.

Then, with the aid of an assistant, hold the string against the ceiling of the garage so that the tennis ball just touches the windscreen and is directly in front of the driver eyes. Once the length and position is worked out, anchor the end of the string to the ceiling of your garage. (I leave it to you to work out how you will do that.)

This solves two issues. You line the ball up with you in the drivers seat when you approach the garage, which will set you up in the doorway and once the ball touches the windscreen, you are as far into the garage as to where you want the car to sit.

As the meerkat on the Aussie 'Compare Super' ad says,

"Simples."

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I also have the a toy (actually an infant’s plastic hoop) dangling from a string, which tells me when I am sufficiently far in by tapping on the windscreen. However I would not agree that this is good enough for lining up the car centrally. There are too many variables. There have been a number of times when I have looked up from inside the car to see if the garage door internal rope/handle is lined up with the rear view mirror, thought it was centred, but when I got out to check, then realised that it wasn’t. If I hadn’t got out every time before driving in, I would have scratched my car by now. It really is that tight with a fat Evora GTE getting through a single garage doorway, so will probably be similar with an Emira. I even removed the rubber draught excluder strips from the door frame to save a couple of centimetres and always park with the mirrors out. They act as a good final measuring tool when you are half way in. If it looks like one is going to touch the door frame, it is time to carefully back out and try again, rather than risk damaging the wide rear bodywork.

Would it not be easier to reverse in and use the mirrors?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.