free hit
counters
Aftermarket Plug Wires & Coils? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Aftermarket Plug Wires & Coils?

Wanderor Cross

So tonight I finished a tune up and of course one plug wire had to come apart and I had to redo it. I figured since I was planning to pull the intake manifold and redo all the vacuum lines and remove all the EGR Crap that this would be a good time to get quality Coils and Plug Wires.

I started looking and I found that PNM doesn't seem to carry plug wires, haven't checked the others but I looked up MSD and Magnacore and found nothing. Are there no Aftermarket options at all? I would really like to just do this job once and while stock is fine most of the time usually I upgraded plug wires... granted it's been years since I had a car that actually used them instead of Coil on Plug but I did a quick search and didn't see anything on Plug Wires so wanted to ask everyone here for some advice, thanks.

I then looked and I can find factory Coil Packs it looks like some Opels used them as well but same with no aftermarket. Then I remember the Ford 4.6L and 5.4L V8 coil packs and the connector is different but everything else looks the same, the MSD 8241 Coil Packs.
You would have to make your own plug wires... I think I still remember how to do that but it looks like I might have to do that anyway lol. https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/ignition_coils/street_and_strip/oe_performance/parts/8241

Anyone done this I saw some MSD Coil threads for the 4Cyl model but not the V8

Edited by Wanderor Cross

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
6 hours ago, Espritv8black said:

I have a 98 V8 Esprit and developed a miss a few years ago, so knowing I had to pull the plenum you definitely want to replace everything you can.  I bought the coils from SJSportscars and all the gaskets.  Steve at SJ is very good and knowledgeable.  I also replaced my fuel injectors and used the Magnecor wires.  While in there I replaced the Water Thermostat, as removal of the plenum gave great access.  Also I replaced the spark plugs.  I had an issue with Iridium spark plugs, the car did not seem to like them.  I went back to the stock plugs and it loved them.  I think, just cant remember if I replaced a sensor or two while I was under there.  Something I would also recommend is pulling the starter while you are there and getting it rebuilt.  Mine always turned over slow and I can say that when it was done what a difference.  No slow turnover Hot or cold.  It costs about $125 at a local rebuild place here outside of Baltimore Md.  I have many pictures of the plenum affair if needed.  One other thing I did once I was done was measure with my code reader the TPS sensor opening at full throttle.  There have been others that said Lotus set it up to open less than full throttle.  Mine was at somewhere around 85%.  I was able to adjust the stop nut behind the gas pedal while looking at my code reader and when I got to 100% that was it.  Big difference!!!!!   Mark

I would love some of the information on the TPS changes you made and pictures you took that would be a huge help.

I was thinking about the start, mine seems find but I have only had the car about a week at this point so I can't really say I know better.

Thank you on the Magnacore wires I will order those, I need to spend more time looking at SJ... and I just spent $430.00 lol but I got most everything I needed. I think I am going to try this MSD Coil pack idea soon but for now I will leave the stock coils as I have spent a lot getting the car fixed so far lol. Enjoy it for a little while with the changes before I start my strange ideas.

Edited by Wanderor Cross

To check on the TPS or Throttle Position Sensor to see if when you floor the gas pedal it opens the TPS to 100% is pretty easy.  1st you do need a decent OBDII reader.  I bought mine probably 20 years ago, but it was a very expensive $400 ish dollars and came with tons of accessories.  It was an Actron cant remember the actual number. I would imagine all can assess the TPS sensor movement There are 2 OBDII ports in the V8 Lotus that I am aware of.  The 1st is actually in the passenger side front seat area under the dash.  The 2nd is in the rear engine compartment area I believe it was by the battery on the right or passenger side for US cars.  Once you find it hook it up and make sure it is connected.  I actually had better luck with the connector at the rear of the vehicle, dont know why.  Once the code reader is connected all you need to do is find the TPS measurement function on the code reader, might be under "Live Datastream" as that is where mine is.  A cheep code scanner wont work if it only reads codes.  Once you see the TPS measurement in the code scanner all you need to do, (All with car off and ignition on, is floor the accelerator and the code reader will show you the Throttle Potion opening as a percentage.  If it does not read 100% then it is not opening all the way.  There is a nut with a screw I believe , IIRC, behind the gas pedal t hat limits travel. You can adjust the nut so that you have enough travel so that your code reader gets to 100% opening of the TPS sensor.  Now you have full gas pedal and "Full Power" on your car.  It was definitely something that made a big performance difference on mine.  Hopefully this helps.

• Like 1

I used Magnecor plug leads and I would recommend them, I would also consider the crank sensor, such a cheap replacement and has made a difference to cold starting and does not jump anymore. It only jumped odd times but replacing the sensor seems to have resolved this issue. Enjoy the drive👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2021 at 15:59, Wanderor Cross said:

Thank you on the Magna-core wires I will order those, I need to spend more time looking at SJ... and I just spent $430.00 lol but I got most everything I needed. I think I am going to try this MSD Coil pack idea soon but for now I will leave the stock coils as I have spent a lot getting the car fixed so far lol. Enjoy it for a little while with the changes before I start my strange ideas.

From my experience back when I first bought my 2000. I also had a misfire that was only noticed due to hearing a popping sound from the left exhaust tip. The progression of the misfire led to damaged coil pack and ecu onboard ignitor.  My assumption was that the dying coilpack damaged the ignitor. Seeing this as an issue that would continue to happen is the main reason why I did a full standalone conversion. 

even though i was able to repair the ecu myself. Right after I noticed another cylinder misfiring. My advice on coilpacks and wires is to make them a priority. I bought my Esprit with 43k miles and came with fat unmarked red wires more then likely sourced from JAE and I am still using them with my Ls1 coilpack conversion. 

The red wires where never the problem. Although the top portion you grab onto likes to separate. You have to be sure the wire is making contact with the end of the spark plug. It’s like you don’t actually feel it grab, but you know it’s making contact if you look inside and measure the distance. 

Edited by v8GTmac1

So this weekend I did a few projects to my Lotus, Upgrade Radiator, CV Axle Boots, Trans Seal, EGR, Air etc delete (Now I need to check my PCM as I am getting an P1401 Code I believe which seems to be related to EGR and supposedly my car has a Johans PCM so that should not be happening) but found I forgot to buy intake manifold gaskets...

So this morning I went to order those and noticed that new Trans Seal I just replaced seems to be leaking again... wonderful. But I thought I might as well replace the coil packs to but after seeing them Ia m concerned with the Ford placement as the connector for the factory ones points up and the Ford one points down so there might not be room... I am not sure I am going to look at my pictures.

But I am curious did anyone find any alternate parts in the US for the Coils or the Intake Manifold gaskets? I like SJ Sports but the shipping was over a month so something faster would be nice.

As an update I ordered a set of Coils for a Land Rover Discovery (2004 I believe) that look like they should be the same with the exception of the connector orientation.

I am going to try them and see, since I can't find an alternative so far for the intake manifold gaskets I am seeing if those can get to me faster than my last SJ Order, here is to hoping.

https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1440628&parttype=7060

• 2 weeks later...

When I did my coils due to a mis I ordered them from SJ Sportscars at the time and also got the Magnecor Wires and I also replaced my injectors.  It was a few years ago.  I also tried the Iridium plugs, but ultimately when back to the stock plugs.  I replaced the EVAP line under the plenum up to the white check valve that sits behind the driver in the engine compartment.  At the time when I did it the line on the other side of the check valve broke as it was yellowed with age and brittle.  I plugged the EVAP line (Probably shouldn't have in hind sight) and only recently got around to replacing all the lines that go to the charcoal canister.  When I removed the charcoal canister the canister fell to the ground ripping the lines off.  I doubt that these lines were making a good seal anyway.  It was tight laying on the engine to get at the lines and connections, but it was well worth it.  I had the same code and popping out of my left side exhaust and some spitting and it would back fire on decelleration down hills etc.  I can tell you that after I finished,,,,the other day....it is night and day better and runs smoother etc. with no spitting etc.  Not that you need it but I posted a video of the fix on here.  Thanks Mark

• 2 months later...

It was an Actron cant remember the actual number. I would imagine all can assess the TPS sensor movement There are 2 OBDII ports in the V8 Lotus that I am aware of.  The 1st is actually in the passenger side front seat area under the dash. 

Edited by Bibs

On 11/01/2022 at 12:55, mascudkoray said:

It was an Actron cant remember the actual number. I would imagine all can assess the TPS sensor movement There are 2 OBDII ports in the V8 Lotus that I am aware of.  The 1st is actually in the passenger side front seat area under the dash. 

Do you mean left side seat or right sided seat? (Looking towards front of car from the back).

If you are looking toward the front of the car from the rear on US spec cars the driver would be on the left, again looking from the rear, and on the right side where the battery is there is an OBDII connection that is pretty easy to get to.  I use this connector versus the other connector, just easier to get to.

• 1 month later...

So I finally got around to working on this, and handling my starter getting rebuilt.

Here are some pictures of the coils next to each other, everything fit well and the coil towers being shorter make it easier to access those PITA bolts in and out on the coil mounting.

I'm going to finish a few other things tomorrow and fire it up, I'll report back then.

IMG_20220224_180730.jpg

IMG_20220224_180742.jpg

IMG_20220224_180719.jpg

IMG_20220224_181517.jpg

IMG_20220224_183057.jpg

• Like 2

I think I got the plug wires connected wrong even though I took pictures. I am going to try checking my older photos to see and look for a diagram here but it could be that these just will not work even though everything does seem to be very similar.

If anyone has a diagram of what wire numbers/wires go where I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Here you go.  Also answere to the other thread.

274648814_2830273447118011_7903577182590478926_n.jpg

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

So I was able to dig this up on the Land Rover Coils, if I could compare it to the Lotus Coil Diagram I could verify if this is the same or if that's the issue. A

Anyone have a coil wiring diagram for the Lotus Ignition Coils?
image.png.4fbda671d48c049dbe66251af60bc46c.png