free hit
counters
A45 farts, are they likely to be contagious? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

A45 farts, are they likely to be contagious?

My initial reaction upon seeing the powerplants available for Emira was a push towards the I4 AMG option, more power? better economy, lower duty, etc. etc.

After watch videos of Mercedes A45s pulling away, the obvious false farts on shifts is a bit off-putting. 

With the V6 being the first engine available I am seriously considering this more expensive option, which hopefully will sound close to the test mule that has been seen at recent events.

Is anyone else put off by German flatulence?

The Japanese are far too reserved for that sort of thing 😉

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Everyone knows that farts are funny.

My megane does it. The kids love it and I think it's hilarious every time. Only had it 6 months though.

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM

[stands up]  My name is Ade and I am a Fartaholic 😬

I love all the different sounds a car and exhaust can make. Still, not sure it suits the Lotus so much as it is a more 'grown up' car so am happy to just hear a great engine noise in this case.

Actually, right now I have no farting vehicles but my MV Agusta crackles a bit.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

I personally like DCT "farts" or "burps" so I hope they tune them in.  I like that they add some character and fizz to the driving experience.  In a modern turbo car, especially with a less exciting cylinder arrangement, and with an automatic transmission, I think some artificial enhancement to the experience is welcome (as long is it not overdone).  Basically, if I am going to get excited by driving a I4 DCT, I need hear and feel some banger shifts.  I want it to emulate a hint of the sensation of a sequential transmission racecar going down the front straight...

• Gold FFM

Yeah, makes sense.   In the case of the i4, it may need aural help. We will see.

I quite like the PSE exhaust on our flat6 but there are times when the sport mode's pops and crackles are switched off and simple howl is much more sonorous and natural.

Although the V6 will probably be my choice for aural delights, the technology of the I4 is certainly interesting, I would love to hear both before committing myself but imagine this will not be possible for some time. 

• Gold FFM

Yeah, if they roll out the i4 in a similar way then you may not hear both together until July/August 2022.

Hearing the A45 won't cut it as there will be all sorts of changes in the breathing right out to the exhausts.

• 4 weeks later...

Modern turbo engines almost always sound farty. I recall McLaren were roundly criticised for this very reason when the 12C first came out and they’ve been working very hard to improve the exhaust sound since then. 

Fact of the matter is a turbo will almost always attenuate the exhaust sound differently to a natasp or supercharged engine. The only way to change that is to introduce an artificial sound to the exhaust and maybe Lotus will do that. I rather hope not as I really don’t like the idea of faking engine or exhaust sound. 

Maybe I’ll keep the Evora after all!🤔😁