free hit
counters
17 years ago today... - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

17 years ago today...

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No-one was on duty, it was just me! :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I bid four Jelly Beans and three Morretti beer caps.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

42 minutes ago, jep said:

How much is that first post worth as a NFT? The first tweet sold for 2.9M USD. 

Justin

How do you buy and own a Tweet?

If I didn't know better, I would say that someone saw that person coming.

• Thanks 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

In that case, I'm still in nappies.

Edited by Bravo73

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Boy, 12, makes £290,000 in non-fungible tokens with digital whale art | Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) | The Guardian

@ramjet   NFT is a proper market and whilst I don't understand it, there is most certainly money to be made. I do understand the classic car market but cannot fathom how a Porsche 928 can fetch $1.9M just 'cos Tom Cruise drove it in 'Risky Business'. Mind you, I would not have bought it for $49K in 2011........more fool me.

Justin

1 hour ago, ramjet said:

How do you buy and own a Tweet?

And why would you want to? A bit like selling bottled air from some sort of football ground, to have a piece of the football atmosphere.

• Gold FFM

I have a large collection of that. if you tell me the stadium and year, I am sure I can provide it - £26 plus delivery. I have the air from a number of matches too, again, give me the fixture dates and I'm confident I can supply. That's £38 plus vat.

All come in vintage  330ml aged plastic bottles, with a certificate of authenticity and a 10 year warranty against air loss, as long as the top seal has not been broken or the bottle penetrated.

• Haha 1

If you 'own' the Tweet and someone reposts it, (I don't even know if that is possible), does that mean they have to pay you some sort of copyright fee as you are the owner? Or can you take them to court over breach of copyright?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Paying what was it, $2.9m to "own" a Tweet - sorry, I'm out.  I'm obviously dumb and stupid as I just do not see how a "tweet" could be worth anything, let alone $2.9m.  I think for me it sort of just sums up how fooked up we truly are in the west..

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Who said it was someone in the west that bought it.

I might not understand it but it is there and a very lucrative market for those who comprehend it. And for a few lucky families who's pictures have gone viral and have been sold as NFTs for lots of dosh.

Justin

• Gold FFM

Paying $3m for a piece of virtual electronic memory is just insane. Yes, great if you have the cash to spend on something like that, but really!  Come on, think about it!

I think it just shows how nonsensical things are. See my other post re the bottled air from football matches. it's a great investment opportunity as that air can never be replicated/repeated. Only £28 a bottle! How many do you want? 

The point I was making was that we, as a species, have reached a point where we value the wrong things. At a time when half the population is starving. When the climate is pushing the planet over a cliff edge. Somebody pays $3m for a piece of virtual bits and bites for what?  A digital picture of that first tweet is all over the web - it's not as if you cannot see it.  To me, it just feels like another scam. Another emperors new clothes moment. And I've worked in tech for 35 years....

• Like 2

But Alan Sugar isn't. I had had a couple of their first pc's.

I started in IT in 1976 until I got fed up with it in 2007.

• Gold FFM
6 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

35 years working in Tech? I thought Sir Clive Sinclair died last week?

He'd had a harder paper round than me. I mean, did you ever try to pedal that C5 for long distances day after day?

It's actually 37 years In January, when I'll have notched up 40 years of paying tax / NI contributions and will be able to access my non state pension. The draw of retirement is strong..... Though it means I'd still have another 12 years to wait for my state pension, I'd have only contributed to it for 40 years as opposed to 52, so 12 extra years for NO added benefit. Now if that was a private sector deal there'd be an outcry...

• Gold FFM
35 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Anyway, about TLF's 17th birthday.... :huh: :lol:

Still not old enough to drink, so come back when it's 18 and we'll have a real party! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the day I joined:

it was Monday, under the sign of Pisces (see zodiac on March 14, 2005). The US president was George W. Bush (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Tony Blair (Labour), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church. In that special week of March people in US were listening to Candy Shop by 50 Cent. In UK Over And Over by Nelly featuring Tim McGraw was in the top 5 hits. Guess Who, directed by Kevin Rodney Sullivan, was one of the most viewed movie released in 2005 while The Killing Club by Marcie Walsh with Michael Malone was one of the best selling book. If you liked videogames you were probably playing Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War – Winter Assault or Against All Odds.

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009