free hit
counters
Hiking & Camping - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hiking & Camping

ramjet

I am thinking of taking this up again. I used to do this a lot when I was younger (and single) but there is a part of me that just wants to get away from things and let my mind relax.

I have thought about getting myself some sort of watch which has a compass etc. but trying to wade through the multitude of watches is daunting. I would also be looking at getting myself the rest of the gear that one would need. Backpack, bivvie tent, etc. I was planning on doing this with my daughters partner (ex SAS), and am feeling things out to see what I would be up for.

So based on the above, is there anyone on here that does similar and has any recommendations of equipment?

Thanks guys

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A normal watch is useful as a compass. With the watch horizontal, point the hour hand towards the sun and midway between the hour hand and 12'o'clock is North in the Southern Hemisphere. That said, every smartphone pretty much had a compass built in nowadays. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

@Kimbers Ya' big panty waist!

@Bibs Yeah, I know the hour hand and twelve thing. Many years as a Cub, Scout and Venturer. If I go hiking and I take my phone, it would live in my pack and not close to hand.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

• Gold FFM

I'm with @Kimbers.  Until tents are made by the Conrad Hilton, with concierge, you can shove it up yer chute.

• Like 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Always carry a traditional compass as back up, technology can always go wrong, unfortunately. Buy a suitable sleeping bag, staying warm is vital to a good nights sleep as well as a decent sleeping mat. An inflatable one was my choice but very light weight and it packs down small so it takes up little room. I wild camp a fair bit up here in the Scottish Highlands and the tent depends on the season and conditions :)

Let somebody know your planned route and estimated time of return to base / contact. If anything goes wrong and you don't make contact at the estimated time it will make rescue more likely.

A mirror to use as a signalling device in sunny conditions.

• Gold FFM

Lithium battery pack with solar charging panel. I just bought a travel sized one that will jump start (up to) a 6.0litre engine, stays charged for months and is a useful back-up for your phone/laptop. Cost £110. Obvs make sure it has USB port.

Justin

I have a traditional Silva compass. It would be at least 30 years old. One of the simple fluid filled ones. Brilliant.

Would always tell Liz any planned route and times.

I can quite easily sleep on a foam mat in a sleeping bag. Sleeping is one of the easy things.

• Gold FFM

I always carry an iPhone as a means of finding out which hotel I’m staying in, and precisely where I am. Some some odd reason it has a compass, I’m not sure why, though.

It’s also particularly handy for, say, talking to people.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.