free hit
counters
Fixing a black pack roof? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Fixing a black pack roof?

I wonder how easy it will be to maintain and repair the black pack roof?

From the videos, it's unclear to me whether the roof is just painted in gloss black, or whether it is a large piece of black plastic, bonded onto the metal roof and painted in high gloss black.  Anyone know?

I'd certainly be seriously considering PPF!

Edited by Nick in Sydney

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Agh , grief. Now you are making me worry about the black pack! :)

Black gloss is super unforgiving so a PPF is prudent.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

I couldn’t choose between black pack or without so I specced without and am wrapping the areas black and buying the black exhaust tips as extras later if the titanium bothers me. If i want the matching body colour back or a future owner does then it’s much easier to have the matching colour underneath. When i had my current car detailed recently it has a contrast pack on it too with A pillars in black, the detailer said they were notoriously soft paint, you could tell it had worse swirling etc then the rest of the panels. Whether that is applicable to the Emira i couldn’t say. However the detailer brought them up a treat in minutes with a very minor polish so it doesn’t take much to renew them. Hope that helps

• Like 1

There's a black self-healing PPF too, so you could do the roof with that rather than vinyl and have the dual benefit of a removable black covering and some paint protection.

Looking at the other parts of the black pack I know the exhaust tips and rear LOTUS lettering will probably bug me if I leave them silver and wrap the roof, pillars and mirrors.  I know I can sort that later but it's tempting to just get the Black Pack and achieve the look I want at delivery.

Has anyone who has run a Sports Racer/black roof Evora got any experience on how it stands up over time compared to the rest of the paintwork?

And on the topic of matchy matchy, can Lotus please sort out the yellow on the callipers to either match the yellow in the Lotus logo (in the wheel centres) or Hethel Yellow, rather than have a third shade of yellow :) 

Black pack roof of my 3 yo Evora after a minor polish. Like new. 
Don’t confuse proper gloss black lacquered paint with the soft matt black stuff Lotus use on things like the Exige 350. That is a proper pita to keep nice. 

26DC56EC-AA7D-4537-9BBF-CFB10DBBA993.jpeg

Edited by KJD
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Speedluvver said:

Jamie did say that the lotus lettering could be done by them pre delivery as I asked just that ! He also thought the black exhaust tips would be a part you could buy also if that helps

It did look like it could be an easy swap on the exhaust tips

0EA3CBF8-AEF8-4FD2-BE45-B677F981707D.jpeg

I agree, it'll soon soot up on the inside and with all those perforations it'll soot up the outside too.  A chrome finisher is going to be impossible to keep clean, so may as well get a black one to start with.  I do like the inclusion of the miniature Lotus logo, it's a nice touch.

2 hours ago, KJD said:

It’s not the actual exhaust though, just decorative. Most of the soot should be on the inner, real pipe.

9FFB0EEA-A939-47BF-AD12-F09D0C223D53.jpeg

Hopefully you are right, our flat6 is a very sooty thing, it seems to get everywhere, even up the rear of the car, might be the way it's driven 😎

• Gold FFM

I don't think you can get the silver exhausts anymore.

There is the black pack which is includes black tips and the lower black pack which IS black tips.

I see no option to not have black tips.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

I was told (and double checked) that Lower Black Pack did not include the black exhaust tips.  So if you didn't have Black Pack then you'd have: silver exhaust tips, silver rear LOTUS lettering, door mirrors half black/half body coloured and body coloured roof, cantrails and A-pillars.  Black Pack turns all of these parts black.

If you toggle it in the configurator this does look like what is happening, although the changes to the exhaust appear in the panel surround next to the tip rather than the tip itself.