free hit
counters
Bumper wrap satin black - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Bumper wrap satin black

Hi All

Just joined the world of Lotus Esprit ownership with an S2 in Monaco White.  It's got a few non-standard things on it, but the most obvious is colour coded bumpers and intake 'ears'.  These should be satin black.  Has anyone had any experience of using a good quality vehicle wrap in satin black to cover these? Unsure if the chin spoiler at the front should also be satin black too.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome @Wilmo ! The original scheme was satin black for the airdam, sills and intake "ears", though some have chosen to integrate colour with the rest of car. The bumpers should be black as well and I'd further declare this to be essential to the character of the car. As to wrap, it seems to be well developed by now and should be quite effective for the black bits though for the bumpers this would be conditional. OEM bumpers always age into a state of wrinkled skin, thus not presentable no matter how they're finished. Given GRP replacements in good shape I'd go either with wrap or paint, not worrying too much on the difference there. When my resto finally gets to finishing I plan to have the airdam and sills in body colour, deciding later whether I like that look or revert to satin via wrap. Bumpers in black either way, the "ears" in black as well hoping for a less bulky appearance.

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

It is more the norm for TE's to have the body coloured peripherals. Road & Track magazine published an on-track comparison test of the TE vs. Ferrari 308QV, back in '83 I believe, in which the TE had black bumpers. Otherwise I recall very few seen as such in the flesh.

Cheers

Steve - Wrong way around - black bumpers & mirrors were the norm for the Turbo Esprit & S3 N/A up to the 85 MY after which they were colour coded. Although if you requested colour coded from new, Lotus would do this - for example the 82MY had 2 Esprits colour coded (mine isn't one of them).

I think the Esprit only (officially?) came to North America in 1985 with the HPCI - which I guess would have all been colour coded - so that would be the norm for your neck of the woods.

@thebartman Julian, check Lotus Esprit World - loads of interesting data there

Chris, I'll gladly take your point as my memories of those days are not too sharp and sightings of TE's back then were always rare. We in Vancouver saw our first TE on offer at a Mercedes dealership showroom in'82 ( or so ). It was a silver dry sump with red decals. Don't recall its bumper colour but it surely made my heart go pitapat. 😁 In America, it was the '83 model year when the TE was officially launched with the "Investor Edition" series, sold to those prepared to underwrite Lotus finances by way of stocks purchase. 

Cheers

My S1 has aftermarket fiberglass bumpers that the previous owner painted body color. 

At the suggestion of someone on this forum (I think), I painted them with black Plasti-dip spray paint. Now they look like rubber and it has been quite durable. It is also fairly easily reversible. 

Good luck with your project. 

Jim

• Thanks 1

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

Another vote for Plasti-Dip here. Cheap and cheerful way to see if you like the look of it and easy to revert back if you don't. Did the bumpers on my TE years ago, and still holding up perfectly well.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yep , Plastidip is one way to go ( might have been me who suggested it ). If you follow the advice regarding the needed layers ( about 6 ) Then it will be easy to peel of, when the time has come. Until then you get a nice coat of black rubber . Watch out , Plasti dip does not like fuel.

Another recommendation I can give may seem weird , but it is actually brilliant. About 9 years ago I applied it to my S2.2 and it is still holding up just fine .

HG leather dye kit black . It works on leather, faux leather, plastics, even aluminium. Apply it with a roller and it flows out perfect. It is kinda gloss matt, plastic looking.

I used it on : My frontbumper, ears, mirrorhousing, B pillar , licence plate holder, plastic triangles sidewindows , and also alu trim of the sidewindows, black plastic of the trim around the rear sidewindows ....

When I got the esprit, the plastic had "greyed" . I cleaned it and wanted a permanent solution to get all outer black parts nice glossmat black again and this did it and stood the test of time.

The kit comes with a transparent undercoat and the black dye and also rollers.

Nothing to do with the question here, but I also restored my steering wheel leather with this product.

Its just, I have no idea if this is availlable in the UK.

• Thanks 1