free hit
counters
Emira Exhaust Noise - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira Exhaust Noise

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

It wont be long before somebody works out a way to make it louder - free or otherwise, Don't worry.

And, yes, me too - bring on the noise.

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

My Evora 400 was asbo loud with stock exhaust when “open”  and not a chance on track unless short shifting past sound meters. Had same exhaust on my Exige 380 and got black flagged at Donny.  

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Yep. My experience as well.

eg: at Ledenon with quite a high drive-by limit, the only people with a problem were two of us in Evora 400s. Had to short-shift below 4500 to keep the valve shut. Spoils the day a bit.

The only track in Europe that I’m aware of where you would be ok is Spa. No chance on any UK track.

20 minutes ago, KJD said:

Yep. My experience as well.

eg: at Ledenon with quite a high drive-by limit, the only people with a problem were two of us in Evora 400s. Had to short-shift below 4500 to keep the valve shut. Spoils the day a bit.

The only track in Europe that I’m aware of where you would be ok is Spa. No chance on any UK track.

Knockhill in Fife has a limit if 105db which is pretty loud. I'm sure some Scottish Evora owners could confirm but I'd be surprised if the 400/410 is louder than that?

• Gold FFM
32 minutes ago, freefall_junkie said:

Knockhill in Fife has a limit if 105db which is pretty loud

A great question would be "has anyone ever been noise tested at Knockhill?"  I've been round and round that track and never seen a noise test lol....   It's freakin' brilliant and some of the cars I've been on track with up there have been bloody noisey!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

Ugh this is all a bit worrying.

On my fireblase I have a baffle I can fix inside the aftermarket exhaust which gets it through track day noise regs.

Is there nothing on the car market that matches this?

Yes there are various bolt on baffles and 3rd party back boxes. Problem with the baffles is do you really want to be limiting the airflow exhaust at a track? I think the track focused back boxes are fine. Just costs.

i.e. https://www.hangar111.com/shop/lotus-exige-v6-exhaust-system/688-exige-evora-s-v6-signature-qt-sports-exhaust.html

• Gold FFM

Yeah, that looks like a good solution.  If that gets the car on most UK tracks then brilliant and money well spent.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any prospective buyers asked the question of Lotus about the Emira exhaust? My old V6 Exige was just about ok at Goodwood on their loud days but the current GT410 Evora has got no chance of getting on track. 

One of the management at Hethel, whom I know quite well, told me they had asked JMG, when he was at the helm, if they could have a budget to develop a quieter exhaust, given a lot of owners would want to track the car, but he flatly refused! 

Obviously development funds aren’t a problem now, so I really  hope they give the Emira an exhaust that will allow it on noise sensitive circuits. Although for road use I’d still like a valve that when open, makes the car sound like god ripping his underpants!😆

When I bought my Evora, I thought I’d be content with not tracking it, having got it out of my system, but 3 years in I’m hankering to get out there again. I might have to run the gauntlet of trying to get in touch with Jim at 2bular soon.🤔 

It seems foolish to introduce a sports car that is too loud for track use. I don't think Lotus will repeat the mistake again which they have done with the Evora 4xx.

And frankly speaking, a car that is too loud for track should not be allowed on public roads either.. come on guys!

It is for drivers after all and not for posers...

For the few who know the difference

• 6 months later...

Just to keep the V6 vs I4 debate going.  Here's a V6 (Evora Sport 410) on track vs a Porshe Turbo S and AMG GT R. The Emira could easily sound the same with a free flow exhaust 

• Love 2

For those worried about the Emira exhaust breaking track limits I very much doubt that it will be a concern.  The silly but hilariously loud Evora 410 clocks 105dB which seriously limits track choice or dates (Silverstone, Donington, Hethel, Goodwood and Castle Combe). Even if you fitted a louder exhaust on the Emira you would still get on track

• 1 month later...

Happy no such noise regulations at our F1 track in Austin (COTA), but I do drive rather in quite mode on my 981 with a switch of the button. I'm hope once the car hits the states, Soul and Fabspeed will offer a valved exhaust, they have done nothing for Lotus so far, but hopefully with the more popular Emira, they will give it a try.

Edited by alvitdk
  • Like 1