free hit
counters
Air Box - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Air Box

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The air box seems to be a particularly important part of the induction system when it comes to optimising power output. The Jensen Healey forum conducted some comparative rolling road tests with the JH airbox, the Lotus airbox and using ram pipes. By far the best performance was obtained by using the Lotus airbox, indicating that its design is particularly good at optimising intake airflow.

Richard, I agree that my airbox may well be less than optimum but the car will do everything I need it to do. My other Elite (Type 14) has Webers and performs well with a couple of simple air filters attached straight onto the Weber face with short trumpets inside.

Dion, the Webers are pretty straight forward to set up and tune. I had this pair of 40DCOE carburettors on the shelf. The factory used 45 mm Dellortos which will produce more power at the top end as the choke size can be bigger. I will be using 34 mm chokes (perhaps even 33 mm chokes) so the higher depression thus generated will actually make them easier to tune and more responsive to drive. These days Down Under we cannot drive fast on the public road (110 kph max on the motorways but lots and lots of 100 kph, 80 and finally 40 kph in many situations. The default limit is 50 kph in built up areas unless otherwise sign posted).

I have a couple of other cars I race for the speed bug and am happy enough to just enjoy the roads at the maximum allowed.

Nice work indeed David! 40's on a 907 will be easy to get running smoothly and have respectable fuel economy. I've run K&N filters in the past but over the years it seems they've become widely regarded to be poor on filtration.

Cheers