free hit
counters
Low engine oil pressure - any one had anything similar? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Low engine oil pressure - any one had anything similar?

My car is currently very poorly.  What started of as an intermittent misfire ended up in a constant misfire with one whole bank of the engine not firing at all.  This was traced to low oil pressure so the VVT-i was not operating correctly and the timing was totally out so the    .  At idle the car was only producing ~7psi when Toyota's spec for the 2GFR engine states minimum of ~12psi.

This was diagnosed by a local car garage, the car is now at my preferred place ES Motorsport awaiting further investigation to figure out what the root cause is and hopefully get the car fully running and zooming round the roads once again.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar and what the cause of the issue was?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If one whole bank was not firing then I would think that this could reduce your oil pressure. I would be more inclined to think that it would be electrical issues - coil packs/ plugs etc, but your car is at the best place now and I am sure ES will sort it. I have not heard of one of these engines having low oil pressure.

On 25/10/2021 at 14:07, electro_boy said:

My car is currently very poorly.  What started of as an intermittent misfire ended up in a constant misfire with one whole bank of the engine not firing at all.  This was traced to low oil pressure so the VVT-i was not operating correctly and the timing was totally out so the    .  At idle the car was only producing ~7psi when Toyota's spec for the 2GFR engine states minimum of ~12psi.

This was diagnosed by a local car garage, the car is now at my preferred place ES Motorsport awaiting further investigation to figure out what the root cause is and hopefully get the car fully running and zooming round the roads once again.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar and what the cause of the issue was?

Did you have any fault codes and limp mode? Was the timing too advanced also giving rough starting of the engine? If so check the vvt solenoids. When i replaced mine, this solved my problem. The vvt solenoids are oil fed/operated and can get clogged up leaving them stuck in position and not freely flowing oil.

I have an aftermarket ECU, no warning lights on dash and the OBD2 code reader was not able to talk to the ECU at all.  Even the car garage tried with multiple pro level code readers and could not chat to the ECU.  This is another avenue of investigation as it was not expected.

The solenoids were swapped over from the faulty bank to the good bank and there was no change in operation.  The bad bank continued to misfire and the good bank continued to run well.  So the solenoids them selfs were ruled out.

The mechanics at the local garage thought it was the lack of oil pressure preventing the solenoid from working correctly not a faulty solenoid.