free hit
counters
Engine out with no lift, outside in the elements. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine out with no lift, outside in the elements.

stevefh

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continued,

I have Clarke long  reach engine hoist but will I still require a load leveller ?

what is the best way to support the car doing it this way ?

from above I have undone a few things already , but ...

which is the best way to get at / undo /remove .... to free the engine .?

- the PAS

-the oil hoses at the oil filter

- the ac- it’s not working - size of the hose connectors  not the same and large 

- coolant hoses to the water pump- took more than an hour to undo the jubilee clip and pull off the  heater return hose. How do you get the radiator return hose off ?

I have the full workshop manual but members photos show they have done  this in different ways .

Thanks for any help 

16 hours ago, stevefh said:

Continued,

I have Clarke long  reach engine hoist but will I still require a load leveller ?

what is the best way to support the car doing it this way ?

from above I have undone a few things already , but ...

which is the best way to get at / undo /remove .... to free the engine .?

- the PAS - Unbolt pump, shove it out of the way.

-the oil hoses at the oil filter - Unbolt the filter head from the block.

- the ac- it’s not working - size of the hose connectors  not the same and large - Remove both hoses from pump. Leave pump in place.

- coolant hoses to the water pump- took more than an hour to undo the jubilee clip and pull off the  heater return hose. How do you get the radiator return hose off ? - 1/4" ratchet and 7mm socket.

I have the full workshop manual but members photos show they have done  this in different ways .

Thanks for any help 

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

If it's the original oil hose adapter plate you can just remove the oil filter and slide off the adapter with the oil hoses still screwed into it. That's what I found when I installed the new thermostatic sandwich plate on mine earlier in the year. Should save you having to unbolt the filter head from the block. You will need to remove the inlet plenum support brace too, but thats only a couple of bolts.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Hi  Ian,       the PAS and rad return hose - can these be done lying on my back underneath the car jacked up at the rear?

Oil filter- When I have removed the oil filter does the sandwich plate just pull off?

Do I need a load leveller with a long reach hoist?

I am after every tip and detailed method any member has. I anticipate having great difficulty working through the chassis access holes lying on my back. Thanks again.

Thanks Tom, any help on the other points?

The PAS pump is accessible from below, the exhaust heat shield assembly needs to be removed for access and engine removal.

The rad return hose to the pump is accessed from the top.

Look at the oil sandwich plate assembly in your parts manual, it will show you how it fits together. Easier than explaining.

I’ve always removed the engine and gearbox as a unit, with a ratchet strap to alter the angle if necessary. I did remove the gearbox on its own once, but never again. I bought a new load leveller and never used it yet.

But most of the above will become clear when you get going with the job!

Margate Exotics.

Hi Ian, did you take it out as one unit without removing the tailgate?

PAS on your back?

When I removed the heater return hose from above and looked at the rad return hose the jubilee clip was in a difficult to get at position from above. It may be necessary to cut through the hose. I will be replacing the engine bay hoses and will ask for opinions rubber/ silicone later.

• Gold FFM

You might get away with propping up the tailgate as high as it will go (disconnect the struts and use a broomstick or similar), but it will be easier and safer if you take it off completely. Just don't weigh it while it's off or you'll be wanting a carbon one to replace it. 🙂

As for the gearbox, taking it out on its own is no problem. Putting it back is easier as an assembly, so you can mate the box to the engine on the bench instead of fiddling in the engine bay.

A load leveler is handy, if you don't have one a pair of ratchet straps allows you to alter the angle as well.

If you put the car on stands to be able to work underneath, make sure your engine hoist can go high enough to get the engine out, especially with the gearbox still attached.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hi Ian, so far read the first 55pages of your thread. I note you have a scissor lift which gives you a lot more room underneath. I am changing the pas fluid anyway ,so I am thinking of releasing the two top hoses from the reservoir and cutting channels in the engine sidewall(I think I have already done this) so that I can free these hoses. Undo the other connections at the chassis pipes and lift the engine plus pas pump together with the hoses which are still attached to it.Will this work? Is there enough clearance?Has anyone done this?

Note I will only do this if I haven’t got enough room to  get at the fixings of the pump to the engine block.

Hi Filip, will get chassis high as possible when removing bits and drop it as much as possible when removing the engine and/or gearbox.

The only method I've used each time is to unbolt the pump (3 hex head bolts and the adjuster) and shove it out of the way. So, I can't comment on the ease of doing it any other way, because I don't know. Maybe someone else has. Once the heat shields are out of the way things become clearer.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
On 01/11/2021 at 21:22, stevefh said:

Hi Ian, so far read the first 55pages of your thread. I note you have a scissor lift which gives you a lot more room underneath. I am changing the pas fluid anyway ,so I am thinking of releasing the two top hoses from the reservoir and cutting channels in the engine sidewall(I think I have already done this) so that I can free these hoses. Undo the other connections at the chassis pipes and lift the engine plus pas pump together with the hoses which are still attached to it.Will this work? Is there enough clearance?Has anyone done this?

Don’t do that. You can unbolt the pipes. Ones easy enough from the underside - one takes some serious swearing. You can pull the lump and gearbox out as one piece with the pas pump attached.

21 hours ago, stevefh said:

Hi all, how many men do you need to easily remove the tailgate and where relative to the hinges are the shim plates? Thanks 

Defo Two. You’ll almost certainly need two plus a bolt fitter spare pair of hands for refitting.

Only here once