free hit
counters
EVAP Lines changed to Charcoal Canister on 1998 Esprit V8 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

EVAP Lines changed to Charcoal Canister on 1998 Esprit V8

Espritv8black

So, I wanted to show my V8 Esprit some love.  She was jealous about the time I was spending with some other cars.  Last year or was it longer ago.....well I replaced my coils and wires and injectors etc, and when the plenum was off updated some of the vacuum lines underneath.  I replaced the clear line that attaches under the plenum to I believe the EVAP pump.  It leaves under the plenum and is routed behind the drivers head in the engine compartment to a white check valve and then it disappears into the side compartment under where the carpet is.  My line broke as soon as I handled it and I plugged the line.  Well I finally got around to looking at it and took it apart and replaced all the lines, there are 3 separate lines, going to the charcoal cannister.  All the lines were yellow and brittle from age, heat etc.  When I drilled the rivets out (4) that were holding the Charcoal cannister cover on, the canister just fell to the ground ripping the lines off.  I was a bit worried at first with which line went to which port, but it turns out they are all different sizes, so I was able to figure it out and the cannister itself is marked which line is which. It took me a few days to do the repair working on it 4-5 hours a day, probably longer than most and I did not have to pull the plenum as I already had a new line attached previously.  Access to the side panel is well tight, you really need to lay on top of the engine basically to get at each fitting. What I can say is that I think the car now runs smoother at idle and also less spitting etc.  I think I might have had some excess fuel in the exhaust or the system as a result of the system not working correctly.  I will post some picture of the repair but may be able to answer any questions for anyone looking to do this repair.  I did a almost 30 minute video on the repair on a new Youtube channel on mine detailing the repair.  You might find it a bit humerous, but I think it is an operation that can be learned how to fix it from the video.  Here is a link to the video of the repair.   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,  Thanks it was actually a bit more work than I thought it would be, but I guess I didn't really understand how it was impacting the drivability of my car.  My car seemed to run strong before and I liked the raspy ness of the idle, but once done I think it was smoother and just ran better.

I had my car out today for a longer drive after doing the replacement of all the EVAP lines and all lines going to the charcoal canister and I can tell you that it hasn't run so good as it does now.  It use to pop a bit after letting off the gas and it would spit a bit and occasionally backfire after letting off the gas.  It sounded kind of cool, but occasionally I would get a really big back fire.  It has never run this smooth.  What a pleasure.  Needless to say if the line has not been replaced going under the plenum then this repair would have been much harder and time consuming.  I would definitely recommend if you are pulling the plenum off for coils or wires or injectors to replace at the same time at a minimum the line from the EVAP pump up to the check valve.  This was definitely worth the work.

Now I need to figure out why my speedometer works....occasionally.  Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) was replaced and made no difference.  Seems like a loose connection as sometimes when I hit bumps it comes on and then........later it just stops.  It is in the right rear wheel in my 98.  I tend to think it is a loose connection.  I would be stoked to fix this issue.  Electricity is not my strong point though other than putting in a new light bulb at home!!!!!!

Awesome,  I have a older, but really pretty nice OBD II scanner.  I think today will be the day.  So i assume that my OBD-II scanner ....once I find the data stream that shows speed, if it is showing a speed all the time will then as you say indicate that the issue for example is after the ECU.  I know that the signal also goes to the ABS.  Do you know if it goes to the ABS before the ECU or after the ECU?  Thanks Mark