free hit
counters
Cracked sail piece - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Cracked sail piece

Hi all, 

It seems like it's quite a common issue, but a long time ago the top vent piece above the rear hatch cracked. Recently it came loose and cracked even further. I believe the part number is A132B0209S, however I've found some quite wildly different prices quoted online. Has anyone purchased one of these recently and could give me an idea of price to replace?

It sounds like it's not too difficult to replace myself - just a few bolts reachable from the hatch, is that correct? 

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

PANEL ASSY-COSMETIC ROOF-REAR is in stock at Lotus, RRP is £168.55. I can source you one from the factory if you wish via the TLF Online Shop :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'll check when I'm in the office tomorrow :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

15 minutes ago, Bruss said:

Why has it cracked? Is there a better replacement, perhaps cf?

I don't know for sure (it was already cracked slightly when I purchased the car 3 years ago), however from what I've read online it seems to usually crack around the left hand vent, which has an outlet from the engine. People have speculated that this can get pretty hot, and then if it is cooled rapidly then the plastic can crack. I noticed yesterday that it had been stuck back down with some double sided tape, which has now lost its stickiness, so presumably at some point during driving it had come away and the wind had caused it to crack more. It's now cracked through one of the sides of the vent, so it still holds itself together, but doesn't look great. I've temporarily stuck it back down with some tape, but would prefer to replace it.

As for other options, there are carbon versions but they're close to £1000, and I have no other carbon on my car, so it would look out of place and cost much more. If I have to replace a £160 part once every 12 years I'm happy with that!

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bruss said:

1K. Ouch. Stick with the plastic and see if that vent tube can be moved perhaps.  Mine hasn't cracked on two cars but I will check that vent position just in case.

I'm with you, mine has not cracked on two cars (S1 NA and Evora 410 Sport) though i have heard several owners on forums saying theirs has cracked -it does seem quite common.  However at that price, for the Lotus OEN, I thinking about getting one to have as a "just in case" spare.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Sail panel is in stock, 1 left. Please let me know if you want me to order it for you @Relic222.

@mik, loads of a pillar trims available, RRP is £46.63 each and the tape which goes with it (C075U6071V) is £4.38 per side.

Evora NA

Anyone worked out why these crack ? Is it material used or change in temperatures causing fractures ? 
carbon fibre versions options are out of most budgets 

when I wash my car I am very delicate when I clean also the A pillar sections as these seem very fragile ? 

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

@mik, loads of a pillar trims available, RRP is £46.63 each and the tape which goes with it (C075U6071V) is £4.38 per side.

^ Ta-da! The tape even has a part number! 

• Like 1

Evora NA