free hit
counters
Bought a couple Series 1s - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Bought a couple Series 1s

Racer16

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you're in Ohio, you're not far from @Tony K, probably the world authority on Federal S1's! His friend Mike is also local and is amazing with painting the cars if you're looking for someone to do that too. 

Welcome to TLF and good luck, looking forward to following your progress :)

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Welcome Jonathan 

Looks like a very worth while pair of projects, lots of the federal S1’s have been modified.

I was in discussions with someone in September with a similar car to yours.

B9F67571-094B-4ED8-8EC8-0A72D0FDBB21.thumb.jpeg.caa498e34e0a1a91ec1af6b8bb451347.jpeg
Lots of help on here so good luck and enjoy 😉 

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Welcome Jonathan! Plenty of valuable raw material you've got there, bodes very well for success.

Cheers

In short, I doubt the Turbo engine can be fitted to the early chassis without considerable mods if using the OEM ex manifold. There's little space in the #4 ex port vicinity with the critical engine mount to trans hanger tubular brace in place.

Thanks everyone. I will probably start a thread in the restoration section once I really get into #545H, but for now I just want to get the black car going. I'm operating under the assumption that it won't need a full restoration at least.

Is there a market for the turbo motors if I just decide to sell it? It's supposed to be a low mileage Euro engine, but it's been sitting for ~10 years now. I think I'd just sell one of these cars and buy a later car if I really wanted a turbo.

The garage with the shell in it actually has a paint booth section, so I'm planning on painting it myself. Unfortunately I don't know how to paint yet, but I've got a couple old Alfas that I might try my hand at before I get to the Lotus.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the US based suppliers like JAE and RD Enterprises are good sources for S1 parts? Their websites don't show a whole lot. SJS of course seems like they have everything if I need to order from the UK. I believe I have all the major components of both cars, but I can tell I'm missing a lot of hardware and fasteners and little stuff like that. And of course all the rubber lines and hoses and bushings will need to be replaced.

Speaking of which, and this seems like a stupid problem, but I don't have all the lug nuts for those BBS wheels and I've never seen ones that look like this. Google has failed me. Any thoughts on these?

IMG_20210717_141512531.thumb.jpg.07b830b21ce53593bbc744227ce99b41.jpg

Congratulations Jonathan. What a cool find. 

TonyK is in the Cleveland area and is one of the greatest authorities on S1’s. You can probably PM home through this forum 

JAE and RD Enterprises are both good. I think of JAE a bit more for upgrades and RD Enterprises more for OE parts. But both carry some of both and are quality folks. SJ is a good source as well. 

I’m in Richmond, VA. Reach out if I can answer any questions. 

Jim

• Like 1

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

Welcome to TLF Jonathon. :welcome:

I certainly don't think you have made a huge mistake. There are many people on TLF who wish they could get one S1. You are going to make a bunch of people very jealous. :sick: 

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 1 month later...

I finally got everything else out of the way and started making progress on this project. If you consider taking even more parts off the car as progress...

DSC_0088.thumb.jpg.be5d79bc175a6d5a18e70f47e1815790.jpg

Starting at the front end, the original piece is still there behind the grafted on splitter, but somewhat the worse for wear. The aftermarket A/C components aren't doing it any favors either, and I'm sure they're not helping with airflow through the radiator. The radiator itself doesn't look too good either. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to refurbish or if it would be easier to just get the aftermarket aluminum radiator with updated fans and never worry about cooling again.

IMG_20211209_222358885_HDR.thumb.jpg.226c6990c15bfae80cd1b85a980bb427.jpg

DSC_0094.thumb.jpg.456f8f3d8305f27aea0cdcffdcdb4519.jpg

On the plus side, I don't think the shell was molested too much in fitting that newer nose piece, other than some screw holes, so I'm hoping I can pull it off and get a replacement for the original type splitter.

The wiring looks like a challenge, so I'm ignoring that for now and I took out the fuel tanks instead. They weren't actually that difficult to remove, helped considerably by not having an engine in the way I'm sure.

DSC_0092.thumb.jpg.12bd353ce96868b9880ddcc62631f8f6.jpg

To my surprise, I had to drain almost five gallons of something that used to be fuel out. I was initially optimistic that this meant the tanks might not be too bad since they weren't leaking. After getting them out though, there is a considerable amount of rust both inside and outside. Once again I'm debating whether refurbishment is worth it or just order the aluminum replacements and be done with it...

DSC_0093.thumb.jpg.f785577debd32c80f1aacff6e85c8682.jpg

I am compiling a list of parts I think I'll need, so hopefully I will have some reassembly progress to report eventually. Thankfully the cars came with a copy of the workshop manual and parts manual, so I feel like I have a fighting chance.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

And a long shot question, but does anyone know if there's a machine shop in Ohio familiar with building 907 motors? 

send a PM to TonyK. He is in Cleveland and if anyone would know, he would. 

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

8 hours ago, Racer16 said:

Unfortunately I found several pinholes in the corroded ends of the alloy coolant pipes, so it looks like I'll need to source replacements for those as well.

They can be repaired, watch the video

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Holy moly -- another S1 owner in northern Ohio!!!  ☺️😁😃

PM sent!  

• Like 1

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE