free hit
counters
Will car pass MOT with both airbags removed? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Will car pass MOT with both airbags removed?

Advice needed.

I have just taken my car to BoT as the airbag warning light was permanently on. They connected it to the diagnostic system but it was unclear which airbag was faulty. So they quoted me around £500 for each airbag. There is a fifty fifty chance in selecting the right one, or I could end up paying £1000 + labour if the good one was removed unknowingly. Therefore, I asked them to remove both airbags, and for now the warning light can be turned off within the AiM dash.

The problem I have is the MOT is due at the end of this month. So would anybody know if it will pass with both airbags removed, the warning light disabled within the AiM dash and the OEM steering wheel and passenger airbag cover having Airbag embossed on them?

As I understand it the failure will be around the warning light not eliminating on start up, but could be wrong about this. Has anybody done a de-airbag mod on their car with the warning light disabled within the AiM dash?

I plan to eventually replace the OEM steering wheel with a quick release type and install seat harnesses, but for now I am more concerned with just getting the car through its MOT.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Why don't you piggyback the airbag light off one of the other dashboard lights so that it gives the impression that they are there?
I don't know how your MOT inspections work so not sure if that would solve your problem?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

As you know, there is no physical dismantling during an MOT, so if the light was 'spoofed' you'd be home and dry.   However, It would certainly have serious consequences for insurance in the event of an injury accident.    

Generally, if you  remove an item for an MOT (that isn't illegal to remove)  Then all visible traces of that item must also be removed.   So, as you point out, you could fall foul of the warning lamp system and possibly even any references to ABS embossed around the car.  TBH, I'd speak to a local independent garage, before you book it in  

46 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

However, It would certainly have serious consequences for insurance in the event of an injury accident. 

The system is there to help protect you and a passenger if in the car. My son runs his MG with the SRS light on most of the time, but I know where the fault is, my MG rover tool has been useful in finding problems across the MG's I have.

Don't know who BoT are, if they are an authorised lotus agent etc and using the lotus tool, would have thought they would have found the problem. 

The only components I have had to change are under the seat connections, rotary coupler (3 times - on 2 different cars) and even the SRS ecu itself failed. When the ECU failed the warning light came on with the ignition on and did not turn off and then back on as it would normally do - if the srs ecu found a fault on one of the srs components.

Thank you for all the replies. The answer looks like if an airbag is fitted then it cannot be removed. But that does raise the question that many members on this forum have removed the airbag from the steering wheel, and still drive them on the road and presumably their car passes the MOT each year?

P.S. BoT is an acronym used on this forum for Back on Track. 😉

12 minutes ago, Mark.A said:

removed the airbag from the steering wheel, and still drive them on the road and presumably their car passes the MOT each year?

some fit a resistor in the relevant circuit - I have never tried this.

Strictly speaking, no it shouldn't pass.  In reality, you are at the mercy of your MOT tester.

There is no reason that I can think of, why, given the correct diagnostics, the fault cannot be accurately diagnosed and repaired.

As stated, ensure you declare your modifications to your insurer.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark.A said:

P.S. BoT is an acronym used on this forum for Back on Track.

So these then http://backontrackmotorsport.co.uk/index.php ?

Do they have the full lotus techcentre? I would not have thought they would have all the up todate stuff.  If they do not have this then try the nearest dealer and get them to look at the srs codes, you don't want to pay for an airbag or 2 and then find the fault still exists.

Surely you can diagnose by disconnecting each airbag in turn and seeing if it creates ‘another’ fault?

If it does, you’ve just disconnected the good one. If it doesn’t, you’ve found your bad unit…

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

You really need to plug into Tech Centre for a diagnosis. Had a recent issue on the other half's car and the dash light was on as the "passenger airbag OFF" warning light bulb was blown. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.