free hit
counters
Loaning out my Evora rather than selling it - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Loaning out my Evora rather than selling it

TomE

• Gold FFM

When my Emira arrives next year I'm wondering whether I keep hold of the Evora somehow.  I'm fortunate that I don't need to sell it for financial reasons, but do have a space problem!

It's been part of the family for 10 years and although the Emira will be a worthy replacement, I wonder whether I'll regret selling it.  I already swap the Evora and Exige between home and a storage unit and in theory could have two in storage while I use one.  In a few years time we'll be moving somewhere with more garaging and I'm planning to expand my car collection.

Has anyone loaned their Lotus to a fellow enthusiast for a year or two?  How did you handle responsibility for servicing, wear & tear, unplanned maintenance, insurance and so on?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Im keen to get back in an evora but not sure i would like the responsibility of the car being owned by someone else.   Like the idea thou.  

would someone simple rent it?   

how would you deal with scuffs?  Or any light damage?  Not covered on insurance?

mileage limit?  

All the Best

Greg

• Gold FFM

All good points Greg and ones I’d been considering.  I guess it would mean writing some kind of contract or rental agreement.  Hence why I’m curious if anyone’s done it.

Otherwise it may end up in a barn for a couple of years and we all know these cars don’t like being sat unused for long periods.

Some system that limits usage. EG a log book and/or notification to you each time it's being enjoyed.

I'd be happy to do that but in oz. Here we have a similar system for historic car use. I need to fill out a log each day I use my historic car and am limited to a max of 60 days in the year. The benefits are 60 days is more than enough for me, it preserves the car's condition better, it's only used for enjoyment and my comprehensive insurance is very cheap.

• Like 1

DanR

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, DanR said:

Some system that limits usage. EG a log book and/or notification to you each time it's being enjoyed.

I'd be happy to do that but in oz. Here we have a similar system for historic car use. I need to fill out a log each day I use my historic car and am limited to a max of 60 days in the year. The benefits are 60 days is more than enough for me, it preserves the car's condition better, it's only used for enjoyment and my comprehensive insurance is very cheap.

That's a good idea.  Many insurers here require a black box for inexperienced drivers and others who want to reduce premiums by having their driving recorded.  My daughter has it on her car and there's an app where we can see details of her journey, including the route taken and some metrics on driving style.  That's probably a better solution than fitting a tracker, which is more geared towards stolen car recovery.  It's a bit "big brother" but would give some peace of mind.