free hit
counters
Emira - a true daily driver? - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira - a true daily driver?

LotAT

Do you plan on using your Emira as a true daily driver (as advertised) - even during winter? 
Could there be any issues regarding road salt / grit ? What are your thoughts on this? 

I put a deposit down for the i4 FE and originally planned to use it as my only car - but not so sure anymore. 

Greetings from Austria

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Never had a problem with my Evora throughout the winter as a daily.

Only chose to take our front wheel drive on a couple of snow fall days, easier and way cheaper to repair.

The Emira is replacing my 981 Boxster, also a daily and I can't see it being a problem.

• Gold FFM

Wow. Brave men to take those great cars out in snow.  Not sure I have that level of bravery.

36 minutes ago, LotAT said:

even during winter? 

The right foot dictates all. It then comes down to tyres and transmission.

4WD is better for all conditions. 

Don't get the CUP2s for all year round driving. They are epically epic in the dry and warm but the opposite in colder climates unless you spank it.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

It should work just fine.  With heated seats, and I believe heated side mirrors, there shouldn't be any issues with driving all year round.  Does anybody know if it also has a heated steering wheel?  I have that on my Alfa Romeo and it's very nice in the winter.

If winter weather is bad, it might be worthwhile to invest in a set of winter wheels.  I have a set for my Alfa with Blizzak winter tires that I switch to if we get a lot of snow.  I don't know how good the Goodyears that are coming with the Touring setup for the Emira are, but there's nothing like dedicated winter tires in snow and ice.

I’m sure an Emira could be used  as a daily but I just don’t see it as a daily to be honest. It looks too special and like anything I’m sure the novelty of its beauty etc would fade quickly when using it everyday. Might be just me but I like to have a second car as a toy to enjoy purely for the pleasure of driving and something more practical for the boring stuff.

Future wish list - Exige V6

You can‘t use summer tires here in winter anyways as there is a law which mandates winter tyres during winter conditions from Nov 1st onwards with fines and insurances denying coverage if you get into accidents with your summer tires on during winter 

• Like 1

Fair points. I tend to have daily’s that are not boring but not so good that I don’t want to bother taking out the toy. At the moment I have a Cupra 290 dsg as a daily which is enough fun and performance to get me through the daily commute and winter months without being so good at everything that it makes the weekend toy redundant. 
On the flip side it would be nice to just have the one car to reduce running costs etc but it would have to be a 911 if I ever went down that road.

• Like 1

Future wish list - Exige V6

I plan to use my Emira as a daily driver and in my younger (and dafter) years I had a S1 Elise as my daily driver for 3 years including the occasional bit of snow.

Snow not really an issue for most of the UK compared to Austria but suitable tyres should make it perfectly useable.  

• Like 2

Having spoken at length with R&H engineers at Lotus including winter tyres, Lotus R&H team spent a lot of time winter driving mule cars in Sweden 

"Tour mode has been tuned for all conditions including winter conditions." 

As for winter tyres, they are 235/35/20 front and 285/30/20 rear Michelin PA4 and will fit on the standard size rims

• Like 2

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

1 hour ago, AK70 said:

But than again, it feels kind of cool if you return to the parking lot at the skiing resort with all those SUVs and take the Lotus for the drive home... priceless  😉

Can you fit skis in an Evora?

• Gold FFM
15 minutes ago, r3nault said:

Just carry them as 007 did. 😎 You can even fit a bike on an Evora, and it looks very cool!

@AK70 I couldn't agree more! I too have driven my Esprit SE in the snow and the wide tyres may lack some traction but that is easily compensated because you feel exactly what the car is doing.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

53 minutes ago, r3nault said:

I allways rent the skis at the resort. Much easier, newest ski model in prefect shape.. 😉

For the few who know the difference

I tried daily my Evora 410 for a while but I found it wasn’t really up to the job for myself. Negatives were:

- Self conscience turning up to screw fix/ builders yard/ tescos/ etc

- difficult getting out in tight car park spaces

- boot taking multiple attempts to open (dealer tried 3x to fix)

- Just feeling the car was getting spoilt in the winter grime

- odd bit of water ingress around window seal occasionally and just a general feeling after a while it just wasn’t up to the job.

Positives:

- every drive was epic.

Plenty people do daily though.

I was pretty much at the front of the queue for a LE but I’ve just put it back to base edition as I’m using the back seats a fair bit these days and already have a weekend car so not sure how an Emira fits into my life at the moment. 

• Like 1