free hit
counters
Harry Metcalfe Selling His Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Harry Metcalfe Selling His Esprit

hedgerley

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

5 hours ago, pete said:

Wonder if Paul Matty sold the one he had up for that money

I heard that it did sell ... and for more than the £75k originally offered as the price was increased.  Was a trade insider saying, but no link to Matty's so I've no direct knowledge if true.  

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

His bought an Emira. He announced it on his channel the other week.

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Testarossa over Esprit turbo? And I thought Harry liked driving for the communication from steering and suspension.

That is laughable. And the Ferrari Testicle don't even feel quick.

I have not driven a Countach....I find it hard to believe it is much cop.

Mind you, he sold his 340R so he is clearly not a believer. 

Justin

3 hours ago, jep said:

Testarossa over Esprit turbo? And I thought Harry liked driving for the communication from steering and suspension.

That is laughable. And the Ferrari Testicle don't even feel quick.

I have not driven a Countach....I find it hard to believe it is much cop.

Mind you, he sold his 340R so he is clearly not a believer. 

Justin

He's just ordered an Emira! What more do you need?!

It's not like he didn't use the Esprit - took it down to the alps and all over. Fair on him. 

• Like 1

Harry has a thing about getting his big three 80s poster cars. He used to have a 930 Turbo but said it was disappointing and sold it. I think the Esprit was his alternative route  to create the ultimate 80s threesome. For whatever reason he’s gone back to another 911 Turbo after he found out they did an ‘S’. It’s ultra rare and I guess a more impressive threesome for him (they are all red too) and the circles he mixes in. It’s all in a recent video. Can’t see why his new 911 Turbo would suddenly be much better than the last one but there you go.

No idea why he wants an Emira with the other cars he has but I like his videos and it will be good for Lotus that he’s getting one. You have to hope it will be a good ownership experience, he’s not afraid to criticise a car if he doesn’t like it!

• Gold FFM

I admire Harry, though I don't watch the vids. 

I get the 930 - not my thing but I have driven and been in plenty, I see the appeal. 

I was being a bit tongue in cheek with regard 'not a believer'.

Justin 

3 hours ago, jimichanga said:

No idea why he wants an Emira …..

Because he really likes it?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Harry said on one of his earlier videos that to control the collection he has a one in, one out policy. So presumably the Esprit went to make room for the Porsche turbo S. It will be interesting to see what goes to make room for the Emira, there seems no obvious candidate. Unless that is the reason that he sold about 4 of his bikes at auction recently, 4 bikes out, 1 car in.....? might make the mrs happy.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/12/2021 at 21:17, jimichanga said:

Harry has a thing about getting his big three 80s poster cars. He used to have a 930 Turbo but said it was disappointing and sold it. I think the Esprit was his alternative route  to create the ultimate 80s threesome. For whatever reason he’s gone back to another 911 Turbo after he found out they did an ‘S’. It’s ultra rare and I guess a more impressive threesome for him (they are all red too) and the circles he mixes in. It’s all in a recent video. Can’t see why his new 911 Turbo would suddenly be much better than the last one but there you go.

No idea why he wants an Emira with the other cars he has but I like his videos and it will be good for Lotus that he’s getting one. You have to hope it will be a good ownership experience, he’s not afraid to criticise a car if he doesn’t like it!

Re: why would his new 911 turbo be better than his previous turbo.

I have to say that despite having driven every model of Porsche, they never worked for me, ergonomics, look, drive, none of it worked, ever. until I drove a 911 sport classic… and for the first time I got out and said, that is why people like these ! It was night and day better than any other Porsche. 
Sometimes there is a lineage of cars, where one just hits your sweet spot better than any other. 

There is only one Ferrari for me; 330gtc the rest are bleh and definitely not a Testarossa or an F40 both of which felt noisy and harsh to me.

No idea what the sport classic has to do with it but I think the rarity of the forgotten first Turbo S is what appeals, I doubt it had much to do with the way it drives. Can’t be very different to the one he was disappointed by but other Porsche people at snooty motoring events will be impressed I guess? Each to their own on that I much preferred his Esprit although as a child the Porsche Turbo was the coolest one by far. Doesn’t mean anything anymore as the are nearly all turbos including the Taycan in name only!