free hit
counters
Second hand laptop - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Second hand laptop

Gjk

• Gold FFM

Does anyone know where I could get hold of a second hand laptop, purely for car diagnostics that doesn’t cost more than 100 quid or there about’s? There are plenty of companies offering refurbished laptops on the web for £200 pounds upwards but I’m not prepared to pay that for a computer that will only be used to download data from my vehicle.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have bought a number of cheap laptops off ebay etc, often without a hard drive, bought one and fitted it and then installed an OS.   I have a couple of small 10" Dells, that are just about small enough to use in the car.

eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224670773667?hash=item344f6bf1a3:g:cQEAAOSwLAxhf6lp  but you need to find a working battery as they can be a problem with battery compatibility. I bought a new battery for a Dell but as it was not a Dell battery the pc did not recognise it.

A larger laptop is a bit of a pain. I also have got a windows tablet that is also 10". A lot depends on if you have software that requires anything special. I have got an MG Rover tool and the free stuff off the internet that often comes with the actual reader that fits the ODB2 slot. I also use a windows phone with a bluetooth adapter.

I used to use a few of ones like this...., but these are too old and knackered these days, ok up to w2000

Toshiba Portege 3440CT Retro Windows ME

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144290952660?hash=item21986935d4%3Ag%3Ak1cAAOSwuHJhfrqE&LH_BIN=1

• Gold FFM

I was thinking of something later than windows xp but not cutting edge. It needs to be working as I am not able to rejuvenate very old laptops. I just need a usb for connecting  espritmon and the ability to upload to this forum.

if there is no such laptop out there it’s a good job Christmas is nearly here!

I have installed w 7 and I am sure w8.1 would work,  on the dells and using a ssd hard disk helps speed it up.  Don't like w10

Also being 10" the aspect ratio of the screen is a bit strange, eg the resolution is less than ones with a larger screen...

Don't know what the esprit tool you mention needs, but some of the old free stuff I have wants to use a range of com ports eg 1-6 but the laptop has allocated a com port outside the range, so it may need the settings tweaking to match.

I have downloaded elanscan and half made the required interface cable. - in case I get an M100.

• Gold FFM

Espritmon only needs 1 com port/usb. It will run on xp but I’d prefer later. If you have a spare for sale please pm me….

if your thinking of getting an m100 - do it! I had an S2 before the esprit and I have to say it is by far the best front wheel drive car you will ever drive. The driving experience will only bring smiles!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gjk said:

Espritmon only needs 1 com port/usb. It will run on xp but I’d prefer later. If you have a spare for sale please pm me….

if your thinking of getting an m100 - do it! I had an S2 before the esprit and I have to say it is by far the best front wheel drive car you will ever drive. The driving experience will only bring smiles!

My spare Dell has no battery, it came without 1, so I bought a 'new' aftermarket one, but the laptop would not recognise it, as genuine batteries have some sort of chip in it that the laptop can talk to. I have ordered another s/h one to try. I have a number of larger 14-15" laptops but these are just 2 big to play about in the car with.

Never been in an M100, thinking it may be a possible car to have at some time in the future. Also just been getting the last of the ZR's fixed.

• Gold FFM

A 14 or 15 inch laptop is fine by me. As long as the battery life is better than an hour I’d be seriously interested.

As far as the M100 is concerned the guys on lec know there stuff, ask as many questions as you can and drive as many as you can before you decide to buy. The engine’s are bomb proof if they’ve been looked after. I chose an S2 over the SE as a lot of SE fables had been sorted out, don’t get me wrong thou the SE is a great car.

I have not got any other spare ones, I always keep the odd one or 2 for backup etc. I use a number of these 14" ones eg   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115070122847?hash=item1acab6bb5f:g:6xwAAOSwyzJhbVg6  or   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185165545936?hash=item2b1cba01d0:g:EToAAOSwModhknOr - they are old by todays standards. But having upgraded to 1tb ssd it is much improved, so have not bought a newer one.   I used to buy ones to repair - eg replace screens , keyboards etc but usually sold them at a loss so stopped doing that.

There aren't many M100's around for sale anywhere near me at the moment.

• Gold FFM

It’s the wrong time of year for selling an M100 to be fair. Spring is the wrong time to buy one also!

have a look around on the LEC forum, there are a few members on TLF I have noticed.

no worries about the laptops, I’ll find something….

3 hours ago, Gjk said:

Does anyone know where I could get hold of a second hand laptop, purely for car diagnostics that doesn’t cost more than 100 quid or there about’s? There are plenty of companies offering refurbished laptops on the web for £200 pounds upwards but I’m not prepared to pay that for a computer that will only be used to download data from my vehicle.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

My step son is selling one for £50 - windows 10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gjk said:

I chose an S2 over the SE as a lot of SE fables had been sorted out, don’t get me wrong thou the SE is a great car.

The SE is faster though %)

But an S2 is a nice car too, no doubt about that!

1 hour ago, Gjk said:

It’s the wrong time of year for selling an M100 to be fair. Spring is the wrong time to buy one also!

Yes usually the drop heads prices lower a bit when winter comes and go up a bit when the warmer days get back

29 minutes ago, Frickin_idiot said:

My step son is selling one for £50 - windows 10

:thumbup:

I feel like anything with windows 7 (or XP minimum) would be a much better choice even a bit more expensive, than an antique with Windows ME. It's really too old, especially for about £50. Now, a Win 10 notebook for about the same price is even better!