free hit
counters
Esprit GT3 currently advertised - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit GT3 currently advertised

kneelbeforezod

Hello, 

I don't suppose anybody here used to own/has any knowledge of the history of this car for sale at Stocks Sports Cars? 

https://www.stockssportscars.co.uk/cars-for-sale/1997-lotus-esprit-gt3

It seems to have been advertised for sale for several months now, at least May when I first spotted it.  The spec and colour combo is right up my street (I'm not a fan of 'loud' colours or big wings) and the mileage seems reasonable. 

Looking at the MOT history, it doesn't seem to have been used much since 2016, and the current DVLA record is that the MOT ran out over a month ago and hasn't been renewed!  This and the length the ad has been up suggests the "just had a full service" might be artistic licence, plus I'd expect a car in "stunning" condition to be regularly driven and MOT'd at the very least if a dealer genuinely values it and expects it to sell anywhere near asking price.  

Anyway, I'm interested in calling them up - but don't want to waste either their or my time if there's something anybody knows that should put me off? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They seem to have a number of lotus cars and a lot that have been sold. May be there will be 1 or more esprit owners on TLF who have bought their cars from him, to ask about their experiences.

I like the colour of that esprit.

• Gold FFM
16 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

@Sparkym may know something about it.

You're right - I do!  In fact, I serviced it.  It's a decent example in a lovely colour that, for reasons beyond my understanding, hasn't attracted a lot of attention.  Quite possibly because it is an understated colour and doesn't have a wing.  No wing on a GT3 is absolutely my preference too, but it seems we're in a minority.  Anything Mark sells will have a full once-over and new MoT prior to handover.

Worth a look IMO.

• Like 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I bought both my Esprits from Mark and personally think he was great - very knowledgeable, honest and good to deal with - more than happy to recommend him to you 😊

DFB1847D-21B1-4D48-AE35-253769276FE7.jpeg

23 hours ago, tomcattom said:

@Sparkym may know something about it.

Just because the MOT has expired doesn't mean it hasn't just been serviced.

Indeed, but the advert that has been periodically reposted for at least 6/7 months now hasn't changed.  So it hasn't "just" been serviced.  "Serviced just before we acquired it/serviced by us when we acquired it" would be more accurate

23 hours ago, jerzybondov said:

He’s sold DeLoreans too and the general feedback isn’t particularly hot in that community I’m afraid. 

Oh dear - that's a concern.  Is there a particular club I could join to search that feedback?

22 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Bought my first esprit off Mark. He was very open, honest and fair to deal with.

Thanks Barry, this is good to hear 😀

22 hours ago, Sparky said:

You're right - I do!  In fact, I serviced it.  It's a decent example in a lovely colour that, for reasons beyond my understanding, hasn't attracted a lot of attention.  Quite possibly because it is an understated colour and doesn't have a wing.  No wing on a GT3 is absolutely my preference too, but it seems we're in a minority.  Anything Mark sells will have a full once-over and new MoT prior to handover.

Worth a look IMO.

Great, thanks Gary 🙂  I admit I've been perplexed why it's been sitting around so long, it does look like a great car!  Do you mind me asking when it was thaty serviced it?  Good to have the peace of mind that Mark will recheck the car.  Apologies to everyone if I've sounded a little cynical from the start, but I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences with independent dealers in the past with sale-on-commission tactics (one of whom I thankfully escaped without dealing with, since they subsequently received an 18 month jail term for fraud) - not helped admittedly by my naivety and good faith that they sought to take advantage when they saw it - so I'm now much more wary of everything and everybody. 

10 minutes ago, JNW3 said:

I bought both my Esprits from Mark and personally think he was great - very knowledgeable, honest and good to deal with - more than happy to recommend him to you 😊

DFB1847D-21B1-4D48-AE35-253769276FE7.jpeg

Thanks Jonathan, this gives me some peace of mind!  

That's a lovely pair you have there, I'm very jealous!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Memory failure, had to check invoices!  I did a couple of days on this one back in May.  SInce then it's been dry-stored under a cover, and started/moved pretty regularly.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Memory failure, had to check invoices!  I did a couple of days on this one back in May.  SInce then it's been dry-stored under a cover, and started/moved pretty regularly.

Excellent, thanks - this makes sense.  I feel a lot more positive about getting in touch now! 😀

• Like 1

I think that car used belong to an Estate agent In South Woodham Ferrers.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

On 28/11/2021 at 12:56, kneelbeforezod said:

Oh dear - that's a concern.  Is there a particular club I could join to search that feedback?

It wasn't really posted about online, but he sold a car (for a top price) on which the clutch failed after 30 miles. The buyer was on the other side of the country (and car was recovered to there). There was an offer to get the car back to Chelmsford but the buyer wasn't prepared to spend the money to do that. Thereafter Stocks ignored the buyer's messages. 

These are the facts as I understand them. 

If this Lotus can be vouched for outside of that context then perhaps that takes some of the risk out of the equation.

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, jerzybondov said:

It wasn't really posted about online, but he sold a car (for a top price) on which the clutch failed after 30 miles. The buyer was on the other side of the country (and car was recovered to there). There was an offer to get the car back to Chelmsford but the buyer wasn't prepared to spend the money to do that. Thereafter Stocks ignored the buyer's messages. 

These are the facts as I understand them. 

If this Lotus can be vouched for outside of that context then perhaps that takes some of the risk out of the equation.

I am always weary of these "stories" as I usually suspect that only one side of a story comes out and rarely the full facts. Is all this stuff personally known to you, or related through several "hands"?

Personally, I have looked at that GT3 all year. I just don't currently have the space for it otherwise I would have bought it. Now that I know Sparky can vouch for the car, I should have bought the bloody thing!  Lovely colour. lovely car. And no fecking awful rear wing to spoil the great looks.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

I am always weary of these "stories" as I usually suspect that only one side of a story comes out and rarely the full facts. Is all this stuff personally known to you, or related through several "hands"?

Agree, I know the chinese whispers effect and one does have to be careful of it.

I know of this series of events personally, and some other customer service with another (attempted) buyer that would make me wary of doing business. I wouldn't write this on a public forum without good reason. 

However it does sound like this GT3 speaks for itself so if a decent price could be agreed then that might be enough for a happy buyer. 👍

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Yup. A clutch could go at any time in almost any 20+ year old cars life cycle. In fact one missed shift could knock it over the edge could it not?  (me being a widely renowned technical expert who knows that you use a spanner to undo a screw)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!