free hit
counters
Configurator updated.... - Page 2 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Configurator updated....

Speedluvver

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Emiralust said:

Anyone able to explain a bit more on how the number of cars made is split between countries, I don't understand it currently. 

I've read on here about 600 uk cars in the first year out of 4000 or whatever the number was. Is the 600th uk car going to be the 600th off the line or could be 4000th off the line?

I think it is under review based on demand in each country and how Lotus are trying to manage it.  Last I heard was 1,100 UK cars to be built in 2022.  Non-UK deliveries were due to start about 2 months after start of UK deliveries, but I've heard rumours of US deliveries starting later than that, presumably so they can increase the UK volume.  Each US dealer pitched for a 2022 allocation and then Lotus told them how many they'd get.  I've seen some dealers numbers but not the US total.  Similarly for European and Asian dealers.  So from about June they'll be building for UK and non-UK in parallel.

Unless they add a second shift the forecast total 2022 production is about 3,300 cars.  So roughly 2 non-UK cars for every 1 UK.

But it's all being planned in detail and more info on timeframes and sequences should be available in January.

• Thanks 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Emiralust said:

Anyone able to explain a bit more on how the number of cars made is split between countries, I don't understand it currently. 

I've read on here about 600 uk cars in the first year out of 4000 or whatever the number was. Is the 600th uk car going to be the 600th off the line or could be 4000th off the line?

Well, if Lotus ONLY do one shift then it is 4500 cars per year, about 12 per day in raw maths but this is over the course of a year..

Lotus have been very consistent on saying that first deliveries will be at the end of April. This means that a car actually takes 3 months to build but as it is a continuous production line we eventually get to the 12 built per day mentioned. 

So, let's say we can now make the fair assumption that Lotus are up to 12 cars a day on 26th April.

The first 48 depositors in the UK will get there cars in those last 4 April days.

Over the course of May Lotus will have built another 360 cars (12 x 30).

You can see quickly that Lotus should be able to satisfy the UK FE V6 orders easily enough, into the summer, before starting the USA and ROW cars. Of course, this means then that the whole 360-ish cars a month built are being spread out across the whole world. This is why people depositing now have 2023 estimated deliveries - they are competing with the world. This will push out further once that new cars are delivered and people rave about them but that is another tale.

Thus Lotus can wheel out about 2880 cars in 2022.  All of these should be V6 FE cars unless they do indeed release i4 cars in the Autumn of 2022 in which case the UK still gets its nice and early allocation of V6 FE cars but non early depositors get caught up in even more competition and the number of UK delivered V4 FE per day goes down a lot.

What do you reckon @TomE - You like all this bollocks too! :)

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

2 hours ago, Evotion said:

This means that a car actually takes 3 months to build

They're on the production line for about a week and I honestly wouldn't give too much heed to previous production numbers, they've been increased in line with the demand! 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Three Months to build ! @Evotion That’s some line even for a low volume producer. Once a vehicle enters build it’s measured in hours or days. To put it into contrast Toyota at Burnaston running two shifts turn a car out every 90 seconds, build time is measured in hours. Whereas Morgan take 17 days for each car. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Ha. True so if a car really takes them 5 days to build that means that they are only starting production in mid- April for the first late-April delivery!!?

Guys, that maths does not add up.

If we are slated to finally fix our build in early Jan does that not suggest that the build starts then?

Can you at least see my point?

I find this really interesting. Even with the huge vagaries since the start, this one stumps me.

Planning for build starts Jan… seems very unlikely they are starting our cars that early!

I imagine there will still be flexibility for parts that are easy to source

Agree it makes no sense to have to nail stuff down much more than a month before the build slot 

• Gold FFM

Pre Covid it was usually commit order and then 12 weeks to delivery for an Elise/Exige/Evora.  Only some of that is build time, the rest is lead in, scheduling, provisioning etc.

I think it's longer for Emira, partly because they can't rely on just in time supply for components and have to give more notice to suppliers. I think I was told 14-16 weeks but may be wrong.  The fully loaded and limited options First Edition is supposed to be making this less of a headache but doesn't completely remove it.  You really don't want a stock of parts for all 600 cars being delivered to Hethel in March as a way to mitigate supply chain concerns!

• Like 1

As an example, as these aren't specifics, if they have their confirmed order bank in January they then ensure that they have enough parts on order for cars to begin to be built in April. When April comes, they have everything required (and cars are made of lots of parts from lots of suppliers) then they can start building them. The cars they confirm in February will be built in May and so on. 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Yeah, to me this is Build Time :)

Either way, 12 cars a day during one shift sounds right once everything is flowing.

So Lotus can definitely make a lot in that first year but will likely need to step it further to satiate all global FE orders.

18 hours ago, Bibs said:

I honestly wouldn't give too much heed to previous production numbers, they've been increased in line with the demand! 

:thumbsup:

Evora NA

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, TomE said:

It's about 20 cars a day once at full single-shift productivity, 100 a week, 4800 a year.  Roughly a third to UK and two thirds to ROW.

You mean the lovely Lotus staff are not working weekends!? 😧 😊

• Gold FFM

Ha, okay. I was basing it on 7 days of work to get the daily build 😃

Damn, we would all get the cars so much faster... 🤠

6 hours ago, Bibs said:

They do work longer hours during the week than most and Friday afternoons are to be able to do things normal folks can do if they work in a town/city, eg dentist, post office etc. It's very common to work this way in manufacturing. 

I have worked for several volume manufacturers (electronics) and this is common place. It works very well.