free hit
counters
Lotus Europa twin cam special (JPS) maybe!!! - Europa - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Europa twin cam special (JPS) maybe!!!

Richardinaustria

Hi Everyone,

I've purchased a basket case that's been dry stored for the last 36 years, prior to that it has been repainted in red (worst respray I have ever seen) I attach a copy of the Typenschein which is the initial registration document when the car was imported into Vienna in 1973 (car is LHD), this includes a picture of the actual vehicle that was imported, this picture appears to show a JPS logo on the bonnet, however, the car was built in October 1972 and I have read that the JPS's were only built in 1973, is this true? The car was originally laid up because of a driveshaft problem and seems to have been forgotten about, I'm sure that there will be a lot more wrong with it now!

If anybody can add any knowledge to this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Richard

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-30 at 11.19.20 (4).jpeg

700_2053366032.jpg

700_-783226632.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

According to Wikipedia the JPS was introduced in '72 but there was never a JPS badge on the bonnet 

Europa forum

LOTUS EUROPA MASTER DOCUMENTATION MENU

Good luck with your restoration :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• Gold FFM

Looks like a very interesting project!

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hi John, Hi Filip,

Thanks for your replies, I'm really looking forward to starting the project, I'm not exactly sure when the machine will be delivered, we are currently in lockdown here and there also some snow issues at the moment! I think the first 2 big questions are to decide on whether the chassis is good enough to use / repair or whether to buy a new one and the same question for the body, there appears to be no crash damage but there is crazing all over, I'ld like to keep and use both if possible from a point of view of cost and originality but we will see!

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update on the first few hours of work, seat runners very rusted but recoverable and the seat frames themselves in wonderful condition, managed to get them out using copious amounts of WD40 and ever larger hammers, I think removal of the doors will have to wait until the body is off the chassis and higher up, the hinges all look very rusted and it looks like a couple of "special" spanners will have to be welded up to get to the nuts. Managed to get all 4 spark plugs out and from what I can see, the bores etc don't look bad, fingers crossed. carbs also removed and in the house for cleaning and overhaul.

Bought an ultrasonic cleaner which I'm pleased with so far.

Great support and interest from the wife at the moment, must remember to get her a jar of Swarfega for Christmas!

If I can have a couple of days of warmer weather then should be able to get the body off.

Cheers

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Richardinaustria said:

I think removal of the doors will have to wait until the body is off the chassis and higher up, the hinges all look very rusted and it looks like a couple of "special" spanners will have to be welded up to get to the nuts.

You'll have to saw through them as they'll be seized solid & will have to all be replaced.

https://www.sjsportscars.com/ do a good selection of hing parts including stainless steel ones so you wont have to do it again.

Another good supplier of Europa parts is Europa Engineering  :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• 2 months later...

Update on progress! chassis and body separated and everything removed from chassis. The chassis has been repaired / modified at some stage and I need to refabricate the rear hoop that supports the gearbox, unfortunately, I can't find any dimensions for the later chassis, my car is a 5 speed gearbox model, can anybody help, I have attached a pic showing the dims that I need.

Cheers

Richard

Screenshot (2).png

Edited by Richardinaustria

• 1 month later...

Richard, where about in Austria are you located? there is a great source of information in Bad Aussee (lotus club Austria) they have a few europa's on display

On 29/03/2022 at 10:51, Richardinaustria said:

Thanks Rick, I'm near Innsbruck, only a couple of hours away, I'll go and have a look, I'm a member of the club so should be easy.

Cheers

my beloved Innsbruck.  I've been there many times (Hall.i.T) last year I was in the stubaital and went to the Innsbruck Zoo. next time I am over I'll pay you a visit so we can talk europa's LOL  btw the club has a very nice hillclimb on the loser panoramastraße.    good luck with the Europa

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard, looks good! I made a lot on my lathe and mill as well, I have similar door hinges but the bottom one keeps working itself loose I do see that my inner thread is finer (m16x1), maybe I sould make a few new ones in 16x1,5 (just to see) or make the inner pin lockable to the body 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rick, Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't seen your post. I haven't got around to making the nuts that will lock the inner post of the hinge down on to the outer threaded tube, I haven't got a mill yet, it's the next big toy on the list! Have you any plans to visit Innsbruck this year?

• 4 weeks later...

no not to Innsbruck this year, I go to bad aussee in september for the lotus austria weekend meeting/hillclimb (Loser Panorama Strasse) 

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2022 at 09:48, Richardinaustria said:

Richard I was at the lotus Austria club meeting today, a green s2 with Banks chassis and 2 liter dohc from Wien had a little crash, do you know the guy?