free hit
counters
Dry sump oil tank - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dry sump oil tank

PhilW

Got my engine out for a bit of work all over and had planned on replacing my fuel tanks.  However they are in remarkably good condition and so are being cleaned up a bit and repainted and reused.  Whilst i'm at it though have decided to do the same with the dry sump oil tank.  Partly because there is some minor surface rust here and there but also the cables that run under it are no longer taped up nicely, a rouge cable that i need to sort, the general area is a bit tatty and of course now is the time to do it.  

Questions

1. The tank drain extends through into the rear R/H wheel well and appears to be just a 1/2" BSP 90 degree fitting with a blank in the end.   I assume it just unscrews as you would expect?

2. The air filter intake appears that it could be partly bonded in with the rear side window.  Can anyone confirm if the oil tank can be withdrawn with the air intake part in place.

Thanks for any help

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Phil,

Yes the 90' elbow in the rear wheel arch just unscrews. 

The internal air filter 'ear' that the trunking fixes to was only sealed with silicone on mine and was easy to remove with just the few screws found once the outer ear was removed. Not attached to the window in any way. I can't remember if the oil tank is removable without taking that out. 

You're right to check the cabling under the oil tank. The metal bracket supporting the rear of the oil tank had broken on mine and the tank dropped down and rubbed through an ignition feed wire to the inertia switch. 

Cheers, Steve. 

Steve

Thanks the reply.  Have just tackled the drain point angle. Thats off in the degreasing tank!!  It does seem the internal air filter ear has to come out.  External ear removed. Internal is very well bunged up with silicone.  Maybe a job now for tomorrow evening.  Already with the oil tank moved forward 2 or 3 inches i can see cables chaffed down to the copper so a good decision to remove the tank. Oil tank outlet pipe is a pig.  I am assuming now with the internal ear removed i will be able to withdraw the tank with that pipe still attached to the underside of the tank.  Cant see any other way.  Even a crows foot spanner on a ratchet i doubt would work so am guessing this pipe must be attached prior to re installation.  I think i shan't disturb it to be honest and will clean up and paint the tank with it still attached.

Phil

Yes I did the same and kept it attached and withdrew with it on the tank.  My pipe was quite badly gauged where it went through the body/ grommet so I bought a new one from sj. It's only a short length and was only £40ish if I remember correctly. I replaced the damaged cable, welded the bracket and put some rubber neoprene sheet between the tank and wiring for extra protection. 

Yes already thought that.  When cables are repaired will find a way too give far more mechanical protection.  Will then never give any further problems under the tank fingers crossed. Wouldnt be so bad if it was such a pig to get to.  

Thanks Steve for your comments.  Assume your car is silver as per the pic?  There another silver car I see and think they look fab in silver.  

Phil

Thanks, yes it's silver Phil. I'm just reinstalling engine and gearbox after being rebuilt by Mike at Lotusbits. While that was happening it's had new paint so looking forward to having it all finished off and back on the road.

I did the oil tank/ fuel tanks a few years ago and remember it being a pain to get in and out!

Excellent.  Will look forward to the pictures.  Well went to the inner ear removal tonight.  As i now understood how it is fixed i think less than 5 minutes and it was out.  Oil tank then came out piece of cake.  very glad i have done this as it is a bit of a mess underneath.  Nothing that cant be cleaned up and sorted though fairly easily.  Fuel tanks almost finished being repainted.  In the dining room at the moment so im not very popular but have promised to have them back outside by tomorrow night. Will get these back in and the oil tank done and back in before moving on to other areas.  Apart from anything space for removed parts becomes an issue if I have too much dismantled.  

Great well done. I did exactly the same with my fuel tanks. Perfectly sound so cleaned, painted and reinstalled with closed cell foam rather than the original sponge. The oil tank was grimy underneath too, obviously par for the course. Nice and satisfying once it's clean and tidy though.