free hit
counters
Tyre Choice - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyre Choice

At a very wet Donington today and not for the first time I realised just how poor Cup 2’s can be on track.

No heat can be generated and the tread pattern can not cope with the wet.

So what tyres are being used for road/ track in less than ideal conditions ?

I have previously considered PS4S but can’t get them close to the front size of 215/45/17 and rears would need to be 295/30/18 as not available in 285’s

Thoughts welcome

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Potential solution is to go for PS4 in OEM size 215/45/17 on the front and up a size on the back to 295/30/18 on rears with PS4S.

Issue then is mixing different tyre compounds, although not huge difference in PS4 to PS4S and changing the rear height/Geo which may not be a great idea

Our resident tyre guru @rallyesax may be able to help :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs
This post was recognized by Bibs!

rallyesax was awarded the badge 'Superstar'

Mixing PS4 and PS4S on track is not the way to go. It could be OK for road use but not perfect. Either go full PS4 or full PS4S for wet weather trackdays, they both perform really great in this conditions. 

Cup 2 is a clear dry trackday Tyre, no doubt about that. 

• Like 1

Yes but they do exist in 265/35 which is OEM for 350

And it will be enough for wet days

I ran them on wet track on mine and it was really good, far better than Cup 2 (i have 295/30/18 Cup 2 now with 4mm spacers)

If you want to stick to Cup 2 you can try the new "Connect" they are supposed better in rain

I know, tyre sizes and rims are different between 350s and 410/430s but as @Exx mentionned, you can definitely run 265 PS4 on your car. You can run a 265 tyre on a 9" up to 10.5" inch (Width) rim and stay in the ETRTO legal definitions.

350s rims are 9.5J18 whereas 430s are 10J18

Same for the Front with the 205 vs 215, both on 7.5J17 rims

This, only for wet trackday purpose, as this tyre size is not homologated on your car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exx said:

Yes but they do exist in 265/35 which is OEM for 350

And it will be enough for wet days

I ran them on wet track on mine and it was really good, far better than Cup 2 (i have 295/30/18 Cup 2 now with 4mm spacers)

If you want to stick to Cup 2 you can try the new "Connect" they are supposed better in rain

Yes connect are better although I have 2 sets of wheels and would like to run a wet road / track tyre on one set and Cup 2’s on the other for dry track

Interesting you are running 295 rears, no issues I presume.

Also Are your spacers aftermarket ? Cup 430’s run Spacers as OEM

345851CF-7911-4792-AA2D-8D75833225D8.jpeg

22 hours ago, rallyesax said:

Mixing PS4 and PS4S on track is not the way to go. It could be OK for road use but not perfect. Either go full PS4 or full PS4S for wet weather trackdays, they both perform really great in this conditions. 

Cup 2 is a clear dry trackday Tyre, no doubt about that. 

So Is the mixing with PS4S rear and PS4 fronts a real no no  ?

Presumably the grip levels and the temps they perform at is different and this i imagine would be an issue ?

As stated before the only solution to using Michelins  is to mix them unless I go down tyre width, which I would prefer not to do.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Tex said:

So Is the mixing with PS4S rear and PS4 fronts a real no no  ?

Presumably the grip levels and the temps they perform at is different and this i imagine would be an issue ?

As stated before the only solution to using Michelins  is to mix them unless I go down tyre width, which I would prefer not to do.

This is worth a watch. 

Having watched that I think having PS4 one end and PS4S the other could result in some interesting handling. And a complete change of balance from wet to dry or hot to cold. 

• Like 1