free hit
counters
So are the driver's rubbish where you live? - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

So are the driver's rubbish where you live?

ramjet

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 19/12/2021 at 16:57, tim_marra said:

There is absolutely no need for blanket re-testing. The courts have the power to impose a re-test to any individual who clearly fails to observe the rules of the road.

You only have to think about the volumes of traffic on the roads Vs the number of accidents to see blanket re-testing would be a waste of time and money. There are far bigger and more urgent issues to fix in society.

I disagree and think there is very much a case for blanket retesting. I see many poor or dangerous drivers on the road who are an accident waiting to happen, but should they be allowed to continue driving as they do just because they haven’t caused an accident - yet, and so haven’t had to face the courts?

Because I occasionally drive a minibus full of old ladies on their day out, when I reached 70 my driving had to be assessed to keep that part of my license. I didn’t mind at all and it was a more rigorous test than the one I passed at 17. If everybody had to face similar every 10 years, or sooner from 70 years of age, it would quickly weed out the ones who aren’t fit to be behind the wheel. We’ve all seen them and very probably know a few too. 

I appreciate it might seem a bit harsh to be suddenly told you aren’t a safe driver and either need to give up or undergo retraining, but it would make sense. My cars mean a lot to me and I dread when the day eventually comes that I have to give them up but I will accept it and realise I shouldn’t be driving if I can’t do so safely. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spinney said:If everybody had to face similar every 10 years, or sooner from 70 years of age, it would quickly weed out the ones who aren’t fit to be behind the wheel.

Agree. It has nothing to do with age - it’s about ability. No issue at all with a 104 year old driver on the road if they have the ability and the same removing a 60 year old if they don’t.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

My topic has sort of been derailed from the authorities blaming Covid on why drivers are worse now because they haven't been driving a lot. If you had just got your P plates, maybe. If you have been driving for more than a year, it's crap. That's like saying, because I have worn thongs for a year, I have forgotten how to tie my shoelaces. If that is the case, go out to your garage and do yourself a favour and smack yourself in the head with a hammer. You're an idiot.

However, on the idea of refresher tests etc as drivers either age or are guilty of serious infringements, I absolutely agree.

There were rubbish drivers over here in Geelong long before Covid happened.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Not the bottom ones, the ones that go on the bottom of your feet. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.