free hit
counters
Front hood hinge repair - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Front hood hinge repair

Left the front hood open last night, resting on the single support stay. The hinge by the stay tore under the weight of the hood. After unbolting the stay got the hood back to a "normal position.

Any recommendations on removing the hood, fixing the attachment plate in the hood?

Thanks, Patrick 

IMG_8593.jpg

IMG_8594.jpg

IMG_8597.jpg

• Sad 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had a similar problem on my S1 but both of my hinge fixing points were damaged. So I made a mould from scratch and then created a new piece which stretched the entire width of the bonnet as I decided that would be stronger. I cut out the old section from the bonnet and then bonded my new panel in. You can see the new panel at the bottom of the picture...DSCF0386.jpg

The bonnet on the S1 didn't fit very well so I took the opportunity to re-profile the bonnet shape whilst I was at it. So I cut a piece of wood that was the same profile as the body and then clamped the bonnet front edge to it whilst the resin went off. I put a bit of filler on it to blend the new panel in...

DSCF0387.jpg

After it was painted you would never know...

DSCF0388.jpg

It now fits pretty well (even if I do say so myself)...

IMG-3509.jpg

• Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

if you are going to "just" repair it, use epoxy instead of polyester as (apparently) epoxy bonds better to old polyester as polyester does. 

good luck

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Brought the hood to Jeff’s Fiberglass Repair, West Jefferson Av in Ecorse on monday, had it back on Friday and re-installed on Sunday. Seems like quality work, hood is much sturdier. In an effort to avoid this happening again I added two 18.22in 15lbs struts to hold the hood up replacing the original latch (McMaster-Carr PN 9416K18).

Not “original” but if it can prevent the hood from breaking again. Makes for a very smooth opening of the hood.

03012487-D42B-4CA2-B5AA-97CA8096EF8C.jpeg

4AB3C92F-C821-40C2-AB32-5847E5C8E0D1.jpeg

Edited by pmth95
  • Like 2

@drdoom: The headlamp lifts are not original, they were done by then owner Don Sievenpiper back in the early 80s. They do seem to work fine and is one area of the car I have not looked into in detail.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@lotus-62 Not sure about the heater. I bought the car that way. Will be looking into it, but have focused the initial work on the carbs, steering rack rebuild, alternator rebuild and power window switches (relays). I want to get the car back on the road in time for Spring.