free hit
counters
Debate: Is The Lotus Exige - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Debate: Is The Lotus Exige

jonwat

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Compared to the $400k Radford, it is a super car. And a bargain. Perhaps if Lotus had limited it to 500 per annum at a premium price, it may have spiked the interest of influencers.......

Exige V6 is simple a hidden wonder. Probably the best road car ever made by Lotus, equal with S1 Elise.

Justin

Who gives a s**t about influencers, apart from the muppets at Lotus? In itself the Exige is a fabulous car, but as a package - with 3rd rate dealer support, useless Lotus support, below 1980s skoda build quality, I'm afraid it's not so good. Much as I've enjoyed mine, it's probably going to be sold in the spring. Too many issues. 

• Gold FFM

Obviously there is no clear definition of a supercar so such conversations will always be subjective.

To me personally though, the Exige is very clearly in the sportscar camp. Its main focus is driving pleasure, with very little relative thought given to the interior or comfort.

A modern supercar tends to be big, wide, powerful but also has quite a luxurious interior. This means most supercars are 1500kg+

Because of this, sports cars are sometimes quicker around a track than supercars. Hence the term 'supercar slayer'. That's where the Exige sits for me. A true sports car that can chase supercars on track.

• Like 2

On 07/01/2022 at 22:29, Matt W said:

Who gives a s**t about influencers, apart from the muppets at Lotus? In itself the Exige is a fabulous car, but as a package - with 3rd rate dealer support, useless Lotus support, below 1980s skoda build quality, I'm afraid it's not so good. Much as I've enjoyed mine, it's probably going to be sold in the spring. Too many issues. 

Really?  That's a shame.  In balance, my 420 FE has had zero issues, and I love it 👍 

• Like 2

That is a shame. My 2014 Roadster has performed admirally, including track days. Friday car maybe?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 08/01/2022 at 12:44, pete said:

if it has to be debated then no

This.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

In my opinion, its a sports car.

Seeing as there is no official definition of a supercar, or a hypercar (AFAIK?) or a superduperhypermegaturboplusmaxextra car, I would tend to think of a supercar as something more impractical, most likely with a large dollop of unusable performance and top speed, a big and/or very powerful engine making (these days) probably over 700bhp and loud noises and wild looks.

The Exige arguably makes the loud noises, but so does a Honda with a straight through exhaust.

I wouldn't really think of a Ferrari F8 as a supercar either though. It's too common-or-garden.

What about some other examples?

supercars:

V12 Lambos

F40, F50, Enzo, La Ferrari

McLaren 720s etc (but an F8 isn't?! wtf?!)

Koenigseggs

Pagani's

etc

Not supercars:

911s (except a GT1)

Baby Ferraris including F8

Baby McLarens 540,570

Baby Lambos

Front engined Ferrari's (oooh!)

Aston Martins (Vulcan could be, but does it count if it's not road legal? I guess it does, so that's a supercar).

Lotus Exige 😂👍

etc

The 720s gets away with it because of it's outrageous performance, quicker even than a 488 Pista or F8, and it's looks. To the non car enthusiast masses, they would be able to pick the F8 as "Oh, that's a Ferrari!" But the 720s could easily be mistaken for a UFO from outer space.

Had our roadster 4 years from new NO issues even with a very picky MOTer 

but for us it was a very good sports car

• Love 1

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

• Gold FFM

In my opinion yes. It needs to be judged in the context of its era.

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

My 2p worth...

If you asked the ordinary joe in the street what defines a sports car, I guarantee (as well as I can guarantee anything) that one of the things he will mention is, it must be a drophead.

If its not a drophead, its not a sports car......IMHO

If its not a drophead, its a GT car....

I now await the flaming fires of hell.......  👹

cheers

Mark

On 10/01/2022 at 20:31, Troyboy said:

As a V6 Exige owner I would place it in the sports car column. Matt W. I would be interested in what issues you have had. Had mine 2 and half years from new. No problems at the moment 🤞

Mine was delivered with faulty brakes, and an on going issue with leaks whenever it rains, meaning I can't leave it outside without a cover or the doors soak up water. It's been to a main dealer who has reported 'well it might be bad door seals but we don't really know, but no new parts are available and we don't know when they will be so it's going to get damp over winter'.

It appears people have had cars and no issues, but dealing with issues is an absolute pain, dealers are miles away and don't actually seem to know what they're doing, then parts arn't available, and Lotus generally don't seem to care unless you're an 'influencer'. I honestly can't wait to get rid of mine - not because it's a fundamentally bad car, just the thought that it's not quite working and if anything more goes wrong it will be a lot of ball ache to fix. 

On 14/01/2022 at 22:20, Matt W said:

Mine was delivered with faulty brakes, and an on going issue with leaks whenever it rains, meaning I can't leave it outside without a cover or the doors soak up water. It's been to a main dealer who has reported 'well it might be bad door seals but we don't really know, but no new parts are available and we don't know when they will be so it's going to get damp over winter'.

It appears people have had cars and no issues, but dealing with issues is an absolute pain, dealers are miles away and don't actually seem to know what they're doing, then parts arn't available, and Lotus generally don't seem to care unless you're an 'influencer'. I honestly can't wait to get rid of mine - not because it's a fundamentally bad car, just the thought that it's not quite working and if anything more goes wrong it will be a lot of ball ache to fix. 

sorry to hear you pain… Dave is correct about adjustment.
Your dealer has probably done this, but there are two adjusting screws that you can see with the door open (pretty certain you can see it) that alters the angle of the window. Screw it one way and it applies more pressure to the seal.

this clip shows you how, you have nothing to lose I guess.

cheers

ps you should try Oakmere always been fantastic with me.