free hit
counters
What is your village famous for? - Page 3 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

What is your village famous for?

oneshot

I don't have a village, but if the suburb that I live in was one?

Nothing.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Following on from the Jethro Tull post @Mark Blanchard, (and I know Blackpool isn't a village). They were formed by Ian Anderson when they were schoolboys at King Edwards School just up the road. Blackpool was also home to Robert Smith (lead guitarist - Siouxsie and the Banshees,)Chris Lowe (Pet Shop Boys),  David Thewis, (actor) and Cynthia Lennon, (John Lennon's 1st wife). On a motoring theme was also the home to Swallow Sidecars (later Jaguar Cars) and TVR.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Peasants, the lot of ya.  We got Baby Spice.

• Haha 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

When I lived in Gove as a kid and teenager, I knew the guitarist from Hush, Jacques DeJongh,.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, Bling said:

Isn't Sir Elton one of yours ?

Only for his association with WFC.  However, Tracy & I do know Elton (ie he knows us) as Tracy used to work directly for him and Graham Taylor at Vicarage Road.  Used to attend his parties in WIndsor - crazy days and an amazing car collection.

Anyone remember Luther Blissett?  I used to work on his cars with him.  An outstanding mechanic and now into motorsport.

And I used to go to college in Watford with George Michael.  Didn't go outside with him though.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Quite a list of celeb associations there @Sparky.

With George M., I assume you stayed in the college toilets with him instead of heading outside at break time 😂

• Haha 1

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

16 hours ago, Sparky said:

Peasants, the lot of ya.  We got Baby Spice.

Think you will find that’s Ginger not Baby, thought you of all people would be up on your spice girls ;) 

Reg Dwight ,Before he was Elton, started life in Pinner just around the corner from me.

A friend of mine claimed he was briefly in George Michael’s & Andrew Ridgeley’s original band which was called the Executive.

Barry Crier also lives not to far away for anyone who remembers him!

Micheal Caine’s brother used to live in Ruislip until he passed away a few years ago, if that counts ;) 

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, internets said:

Think you will find that’s Ginger not Baby, thought you of all people would be up on your spice girls

Fair cop.  However, in my defence, they're all the same.  Crap.

4 hours ago, internets said:

Micheal Caine’s brother used to live in Ruislip until he passed away a few years ago, if that counts

I suspect I'm just one of a lot of people that didnt't know that.

• Gold FFM
On 12/01/2022 at 14:05, Bling said:

I grew up and still live in the North London suburb of Southgate

Wonder how many baby boys have been named Gareth from there in the last couple of years? (of course if someone wanted to call their baby girl Gareth too then that would be fine - inclusivity is my middle name!)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Admiral George Rodney, Dame Julie Andrews and rock singer Nick Lowe were all born in Walton on Thames.

Got some blummin nice pubs on the river too…..

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

On 12/01/2022 at 22:36, TAR said:

Nicolas Parsons.... I'll say no more :)

Lived in the Cotswolds after he retired, I knew the girl that use to do his ‘beauty treatments’ he spent more than most of her female clients

• Like 1

On 09/01/2022 at 21:56, 2GOOD said:

Hmmm, a girl called Rose use to live in the village I’m from & was a few years ahead of me at the senior school.

She use to bunk off school & hang around with an older guy called Fred, I remember the posters up looking for a girl that had gone missing locally (in the mid seventies) that were everywhere you went but that wasn’t Rose. Nobody knew much about her until the news broke in 1994 & the Wests were arrested on the suspicion of multiple murders…

I’ve just remembered that Mike Oldfield was living there (a place called Bishops Cleeve) some 15 plus years ago, most celebs in the area live in the Cotswolds, but he came into where I was working in Cheltenham at the time & dealt with one of my colleagues. 

An ex Simple Minds guitarist was living just up the lane from where I live now in the Forest of Dean but gave his address as Cheltenham (the snob) when his bankruptcy was reported in the red tops.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Wonder how many baby boys have been named Gareth from there in the last couple of years? (of course if someone wanted to call their baby girl Gareth too then that would be fine - inclusivity is my middle name!)

_102544573_42724118464_fb35ca1dcc_o.jpg

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, 2GOOD said:

An ex Simple Minds guitarist was living just up the lane from where I live now in the Forest of Dean but gave his address as Cheltenham (the snob) when his bankruptcy was reported in the red tops.

EMF were from Cinderford I think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

EMF were from Cinderford I think. 

They were, I grew up & lived the other side of Cheltenham until well into my 30’s but knew people that were involved with them

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Now that is a dump. People wax lyrical about the Forest of Dean. I guess they don’t go through Cinderford.

Forest of Dean covers a large area though, I’m a field back from the river Severn where it’s still quite wide, no trees, no wild boar (yet) & only a few other houses scattered along the lane.