free hit
counters
Exhaust recommendations - diameter - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust recommendations - diameter

My Elite exhaust is in a very sorry state. The right side is pretty blocked up and restricted, about less than half volume of air coming out than on the right and both sides are full of holes.

I am going to be replacing with a custom stainless steel system that a local South African company will build up.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what important details I should mention to the fabricators? I don't have any plans to modify the engine or anything for more power, but might change my mind later on, and next owner might also appreciate better breathing for any work they might want to do. I'm wondering about things like diameter, amount of suppression (how does one even specify this?) etc.

I would like it to sound nice and perhaps have a bit of a performance boost. I am not going for a new manifold as there is nothing wrong with the current one.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It is fairly certain Lotus correctly engineered the system from the off, therefore most wise not to stray far from original. Little chance of improved performance other than a slight margin at top revs, but quite possible to introduce nasty cabin resonances at points lower down the rev range which would make driving unpleasant.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, after scouring the posts I can find on this topic I'm inclined to agree. Will go with a standard approach and ask if they can try and sweeten the note a little at least. One thing I noticed was that the final boxes on this car do not look standard. They are oval rather than round as in the service manual. 🤗

• Like 1

There were 3 major different system in the life of the 4seaters. If you have to invest money, the best bet is really a big bore system from Lotusbits. You love it. It is something for the ears, the pedal and eye candy as well. It was on Santas list but somehow he had forgotten me... :(  definitely in some time, I will get it. :) 

Show us some pictures of your boxes, than maybe we could help a bit more

Edited by Don.Hasi