free hit
counters
2 Cornwall Visitors - political correctness... - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

2 Cornwall Visitors - political correctness...

exeterjeep

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ah yes , the old  “ political correctness “ silliness , providing tabloids with cheap outrage fodder since at least 1986 when the “baa baa black sheep “ story came out .
35 years later it’s still a “ whatever next ????” banker .
Outside Screaming Tabloid Headline World , we’re all still here ; the woke wolf hasn’t eaten us all up ( in reality it’s not even at the garden gate let alone the door ) but its howling seems to be a major concern and worry to some . 

I don’t find the complaint itself baseless ; What I find depressing about this story is the seeming inability of the council to deal with the complaint on the spot ; to have the local knowledge at their fingertips and even to publicise without prompting , the origin of local names . 

• Gold FFM

This is a case in point in how the morally outraged don't even bother to do their research properly.  The problem @basalte is not the "cheap outrage fodder" in the tabloids, but the fact that this is going on, often quietly, but ever more progressively and in the background. And as it does it is erasing history and rewriting history.  It's as dangerous (and as abhorrent) as Nazi's burning books and it is getting out of control especially in our "elitist" further educational establishments.  It's time that this was stopped in its tracks.

Slavery was (not illegal at the time) and is wrong, but as the article points out below, the college in question is happy to "snub" someone whose involvement in slavery was miniscule nearly 400 years ago, whilst continuing to take encourage and take money from the Chinese state that is itself complicit in slavery TODAY!  I guess to these people, the tragic irony is that some lives seem to matter more than most!

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/nov/15/cambridge-college-seeks-to-remove-memorial-to-patron-with-links-to-slave-trade

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

You posit this as a modern “ we’re going to hell in a handcart ! “ phenomenon ; but misinformation is as old as literacy itself .
It’s the mass dissemination of it that is relatively new .

The trouble is , you give your perspective away in your reference points ( slavery etc ). It’s an emotionally extreme sensational reference point to use whereas 90 % of historical interpretation is way more subtle whatever stance you have over it .
If anyone here is fit to question interpretations of history it’s not me and not you , certainly not a newspaper - but those very institutions of further education you decry and who our tax avoiding billionaire clickbait press ( oh the irony ) love to give a kicking to , with a bit of anti Chinese new Cold War rhetoric thrown in . 

If people in higher education don’t know how to question concepts , who can ? You will probably agree with that with a resounding :

“ they cant ! We’re all doomed !”

I suppose it comes down to my earlier post about us all selecting from an immense pool of information ( much of it owned and spread by those only interested in profit ) and tailoring it to suit your pre existing world view . An awareness of that is helpful 🙂

• Gold FFM
15 minutes ago, basalte said:

If people in higher education don’t know how to question concepts , who can ?

People in higher education have the same baggage, personal agenda's, and political preferences as anyone else. In fact, I would argue that long before newspapers and tabloids, it was the "educationalists" and scholars of religion and the universities who peddled as much disinformation as anyone. The problem for them, is that these days, where they used to demand our attention (often through force, coercion etc) in the past, people see them for what they really are. Just another bunch of people with their own agenda and need to convince others to follow them.

So my answer to your question would be "not everyone who works in higher education is a scholar, nor are they independent, so I would listen to their point of view, but challenge it, question it, and demand they try harder to convince me of its worth through evidence backed by facts".  Your question is similar to others on here who seem to think that just because someone is a GP, or Teacher, they are above and beyond reproach and deserve our undying thanks and praise. Complete and utter codswallop. They are people just like everyone else and have the same failings, prejudices and self interest that anyone else has.

Finally, please do not dismiss points as being "Chinese new cold war rhetoric". If you really think it is just rhetoric and nothing under hand or untoward is going on then I am sorry, but you are woefully mistaken or naïve.  If you want to get to the bottom of stuff, then you need to listen, accumulate knowledge, then analyse it yourself and draw your own conclusion, rather than just following someone elses wisdom.  Just look at organised religion. More people have been killed, maimed, tortured, wronged and enslaved under the direction of men of a God (any god) than anything else in the history of man kind. And yet, millions of people just blindly follow the "word", never question, never ask. When we actually see the worlds most ruthless organised gangs, the religions, held to account for the injustices and killing that have been incited, then maybe, just maybe, I'll start to believe that as a race we have a better future ahead.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Sorry C8 , you appear to want your cake and eat it here . You quite rightly question the integrity of “ experts “ but the answer cannot logically be to replace them with … what ? Your own conclusions? Many fields of expertise require expertise just to say “ I don’t know the answer “ ; such an honest response in an ideal world should attract respect but it seems that that this paradox plays no part in your response . I totally agree that religion involves inherent unquestioning faith - a bad thing . But experts are all we have to inject rationality into any assessment. “ “Drawing your own conclusion “ is much easier said than done . The most we can expect is indeed moral integrity and a degree of accountability from experts . Not ideal but better than priests or tax avoiding sociopathic phone hacking newspaper barons . 
Now China , albeit thats a whole other thread . I see 800 US military bases worldwide , many in nations surrounding China . And yet China is the aggressor . OKAAAY….

Edited by basalte
Typos

• Gold FFM

Nope. Read my article and you will see that the supposedly "intellectuals" in Jesus college have not done their research and have mis represented the facts.

I don't eat cake, but I also don't just take the word of so called "experts" at face value - whether they be educationalists, vicars, GPs etc.  All of these people will peddle what they want you to hear.

As for China, yes, the US has bases all over the world, you think China isn't projecting its power too?  Get real and go and have a look at what has been happening in Africa for the past 20 years. They may not be "military" bases that China has there, but they are projections of power and influence. Interested in your views of their actions in South China Sea. Oh yeah, right that's not aggressive. How about Taiwan?  How about all the other places......    

• Gold FFM
17 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

How about all the other places...... 

how about Russia - and the ever expanding EU completely at odds with historical agreements.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Russia and China are both aggressively posturising and expanding their reach and positions. Both are using their economic and political power to get what they want. You could say that they are not doing anything that the old Colonial powers haven't already done. What's the difference in what they are doing compared to what Britain, France, Portugal, Spain et al did? To what the US did after 1945 when it exploited victory in WW2 to justify the creation of a network of military bases all over the globe? Etc.

We might not like it, but how did others like our similar actions?

If we're going to have a debate or discussion then let's make it expansive and unlike some on here I'm not about applying "labels" to those I debate with, nor do I shy away from venting my views with, and challenging the views of, academia, for instance who often are, but not all, as misguided, petty, prejudiced, egotistical and sycophantic as religious ministers and politicians!