free hit
counters
1974 ELITE TEST CAR - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

1974 ELITE TEST CAR

I would appreciate any more information on neglected family-owned Elite first registered on April 5 1974 and used as Colin Chapman's demonstration car. It was featured on the front page of Car Magazine and in Motor Sport as well as featuring in Duckhams advertising promotions. The original chassis number is 74020022A with engine number G74015418. The car has been off the road since 1990. Would known history make this an interesting and viable restoration? 

DSCN0059.JPG

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

May be some of the restoration experts will be along in a while, whereabouts are you, there are those who would probably take a look at it for you. - particularly if nearby.

Elites are great looking cars but one of this age is probably bound to have issues.  

This car reg no. RNG807M was in its early days well known and  was the front cover photo for the Observers book of automobiles circa 1975. Also appearing in other advertisements etc.

Chassis 0022A is early and in theory atleast is the 22nd off the production line for the domestic market. 

1 hour ago, Geoffkb1 said:

I would appreciate any more information on neglected family-owned Elite first registered on April 5 1974 and used as Colin Chapman's demonstration car. It was featured on the front page of Car Magazine and in Motor Sport as well as featuring in Duckhams advertising promotions. The original chassis number is 74020022A with engine number G74015418. The car has been off the road since 1990. Would known history make this an interesting and viable restoration? 

DSCN0059.JPG

Shame it's not in the garage 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

One for the home-restorer or for a open-eyed Lotus fan with deep pockets. Even LotusBits, experts on these and fair value, would give a bill in excess of £50k to get this back to as new. 

Even with interesting history, I don't see the value finished anything over £20k. Sadly, the front engine Lotus wedges just are not appreciated, though that is a good thing in many ways 'cos they are very cheap given class and rarity.

Justin

7 minutes ago, Geoffkb1 said:

Thanks. New chassis and engine fitted before coming off road with electrical wiring problems in 1993. Neglected and not run since. 

I did think that if it was on the road in 1990 in good order, it may have already had a new chassis, mine only lasted 1977 to 1986 ish.

That would be a very brave restoration undertaken purely because someone loves the car. It'll never be worth the investment if financial gain is the objective.

It's an early car but not so original if both chassis and engine have been swapped. I doubt it has more value due to it's history. 

With all that said, it would be great to see another early car restored to it's former glory. :) 

It's getting there......

17 hours ago, TAR said:

That would be a very brave restoration undertaken purely because someone loves the car. It'll never be worth the investment if financial gain is the objective.

It's an early car but not so original if both chassis and engine have been swapped. I doubt it has more value due to it's history. 

With all that said, it would be great to see another early car restored to it's former glory. :) 

Good spot! Many thanks, GeoffScreenshot_20220123_142335_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.a5f3017d5d0c205f07e11e9c663dac75.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mark Blanchard said:

Here's a press photo of it.  It was a lovely looking car.  Shame they didn't put it in that garage.

lotus_elite_1.jpg.c0e5396447058d879c3dfc3e0a152d70.jpg

Belongs to elderly family member who didn't know provenance! Garage was too full! I've only just started doing some homework on it!! IMG_20220123_145806.thumb.jpg.aab0043a5f1de8af86eba490abc48f49.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 13:12, Geoffkb1 said:

DSCN0059.JPG

I feel as if I need to pop over and give it a wash and put it in the garage 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Painterdave said:

I feel as if I need to pop over and give it a wash and put it in the garage 

And see what it is like inside.

It has been sitting there for many years - has it been under a cover?

• Sad 1

Registered April 5th is best part of 6 weeks before the model was formally released onto the market. Would further support the use as a factory demo car. 

If it's been outside for 25 years without a cover, I can't possibly see it being dry inside. My car was impossible to keep dry even when being used daily. Fingers crossed it was covered. 

Tony 

The press pic was also used in an advert for High Cliff Motors of Grimsby (and currently being advertised on eBay)

lotus_elite_advert.jpg

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-...)

22 minutes ago, Jack Stone said:

The press pic was also used in an advert for High Cliff Motors of Grimsby (and currently being advertised on eBay)

lotus_elite_advert.jpg

Interesting advert... most factory records have long been lost, but remaining records show white is the original colour. The car was allocated to the press fleet on May 2, 1974, after being originally registered on April 5 that year

• Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 13:58, Geoffkb1 said:

Belongs to elderly family member who didn't know provenance! Garage was too full! I've only just started doing some homework on it!! IMG_20220123_145806.thumb.jpg.aab0043a5f1de8af86eba490abc48f49.jpg

Lotus Types 75 and 76 together (and both types driven by Ronnie Peterson 😊)

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-...)

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but can I pose the question about sill colour. 

Without question, this car has body colour sills. I was under the impression early cars had satin black sills. It's very difficult to tell on most photos of darker colour cars. 

Tony