free hit
counters
Privacy Glass? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I’ve started to go slightly round in circles on this option if I get a chance to amend.  Generally I would always have or add privacy glass but wondering if the engine bay will look better untinted?

Has anyone deleted this option on their FE spec?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I've deleted on mine.  My reasoning is you will see the engine better slightly and it will let a bit more light into the cabin through the fixed quarter windows behind the side windows.

In the UK I rarely have to worry about solar gain and the windscreen is a bigger contributor anyway.  It's only a 20% tint, so it's not really going to hide the engine or whatever luggage you've put behind the seats.

And me. Want to see that there’s an engine in the back.

Also, the little quarter windows are regularly useful at junctions in the Evora. Emira will be the same.

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

I agree with OP’s would rather have the extra vision and light, although it’ll be some time before I have to commit as chosen FE i4 🙄

• Thanks 1

I went with no privacy glass too. I prefer it when the glass on the side of a car is all one tint, especially if there is no B-pillar. Being able to see the engine a bit more clearly is a benefit in my book as well :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

No privacy here on both.

As mentoined, light in the cabin will improve and I believe I have black inside througout. Also, yes, one will see the engine better.

Lastly, a bit like the Ferrari FF, having one panel tinted and the other not looks a bit shite.

Tinting is huge in the USA. Over there it might be more than opt for it but I suspect, in the UK, it will be the opposite.

That being said. Ha. I just bought a 507 and it is heavily tinted, indeed likely illegal.

However, as the car is BLACK/Black - it kinds suits it. 

20220129_163857.thumb.jpg.587b09d55ba5e6f567c33a8bc8ba8830.jpg

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Hi Badger, I see nobody has popped up with privacy ticked so I will throw one in for you, mine will be but I think it's completely personal preference.

I've always had privacy glass like you, I've never had an issue with not seeing out of the blind spot and I like creeping in my rear view mirror in traffic. Like Tom said it's only a 20% tint anyway so you'll still see the engine bay

The grey Emira we've been seeing does not have privacy glass, I'm pretty sure the blue car wasn't tinted either? I don't think we have seen a car with the privacy glass yet so we don't have a reference to go off

There is a B pillar on the Emira so with or without privacy glass there is still a thick black transition between the two side windows, unlike on an e89 Z4  or convertible c class for example. I do get Andy's point though, it's not a issue for me personally.

image.png.213bc166f0b2f7a5d72b35b2eaf5025d.pngimage.png.40320d06692333165635f9697c9e8b2d.png

Will you see the engine bay a bit better? Yes, a bit. Should you remove the privacy glass because other people have? no

Worth noting in case anybody reading misunderstands this part, I think that factory privacy glass is made with a dye in the glass rather than a tinted film applied which would be removable, so you wouldn't be able to remove the 20% tint without changing the glass, however you can spec no privacy and always have it installed afterwards.

• Like 2

Yeah I should have said on cars where there isn't a clearly visible external, body coloured b-pillar that I especially prefer the glass to be the same tint but I couldn't edit my post! Even with that black bar in the photo I still prefer it without but that's just me. It's purely a personal choice like you say :)  The car will look amazing either way!

• Like 2

On 01/02/2022 at 12:35, Emiralust said:

Hi Badger, I see nobody has popped up with privacy ticked so I will throw one in for you, mine will be but I think it's completely personal preference.

I've always had privacy glass like you, I've never had an issue with not seeing out of the blind spot and I like creeping in my rear view mirror in traffic. Like Tom said it's only a 20% tint anyway so you'll still see the engine bay

The grey Emira we've been seeing does not have privacy glass, I'm pretty sure the blue car wasn't tinted either? I don't think we have seen a car with the privacy glass yet so we don't have a reference to go off

There is a B pillar on the Emira so with or without privacy glass there is still a thick black transition between the two side windows, unlike on an e89 Z4  or convertible c class for example. I do get Andy's point though, it's not a issue for me personally.

image.png.213bc166f0b2f7a5d72b35b2eaf5025d.pngimage.png.40320d06692333165635f9697c9e8b2d.png

Will you see the engine bay a bit better? Yes, a bit. Should you remove the privacy glass because other people have? no

Worth noting in case anybody reading misunderstands this part, I think that factory privacy glass is made with a dye in the glass rather than a tinted film applied which would be removable, so you wouldn't be able to remove the 20% tint without changing the glass, however you can spec no privacy and always have it installed afterwards.

Cheers 👍🏻

I'm having privacy glass to help keep eyes off whatever I have stored behind the seats - oh and I prefer the look too 🙂

• Like 1