free hit
counters
Nankang Ultra Sport NS-2 for S2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Nankang Ultra Sport NS-2 for S2

Anyone using these tyres on the front of their S1 or S2. Any thoughts?

Need a new set on the front and choice is getting more limited. I don't like the look of these but at the end of the day if the performance is adequate for my needs I'm willing to turn a blind eye.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete, you may put just about anything on the car if you're indifferent to performance. Modern tyres are remarkably well constructed. A old mate who's a keen driver and former Esprit owner fitted his Alfa 4C with some cheap Chinese rubber of unrecognized brand on advice of his son, was altogether happy with how they compared to the worn Pirelli's.

Cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, drdoom said:

Pete, you may put just about anything on the car if you're indifferent to performance. Modern tyres are remarkably well constructed. A old mate who's a keen driver and former Esprit owner fitted his Alfa 4C with some cheap Chinese rubber of unrecognized brand on advice of his son, was altogether happy with how they compared to the worn Pirelli's.

Cheers

I wasn't clear Steve. It's the performance I want as I like to drive my car 'enthusiastically'. I'll take performance over looks.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• Gold FFM

Hi @peteyg I have these fitted to the S2, performance wise they are very good, but like you said choice is getting limited and these do look modern rather than period.

The issue is getting matching rears and fronts, what do you have on the rears size/make wise  ? 

S2 Tyre.JPG

Lotus S2 close up .jpg

@Hornsey BoyThanks for the pics Dragan. I have Maxxis MA-P1 on the rears. Good in the dry but I have had them let go a few times when pushing in the wet. Think I'll go with these Nankangs until something more period comes along.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 2 weeks later...

What about Yokohama Advan HF Type-D A008?  Not sure what sizes you need on the Esprit but will be considering these for my Elite.  Yokohama re-released these tyres a couple of years ago - old tread pattern, contemporary compound.

Pete

Longstone have mentioned that they have Pirelli Cinturato 195/70/14 tyres coming into stock which match their 205/70/14

Although not the original 205/60/14 of the fronts (which he had read were correct and I corrected him), they make steering slightly lighter with margin height gain in their sidewall.

I could look at these next time to an alternative to the ones I have fitted to my S1.

5 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

What about Yokohama Advan HF Type-D A008?  Not sure what sizes you need on the Esprit but will be considering these for my Elite.  Yokohama re-released these tyres a couple of years ago - old tread pattern, contemporary compound.

Pete

Wish I'd found these earlier, they look good. Already ordered the Nankangs though...

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Yoko have always made quality tyres, my first set on a restored and tuned classic Elan were A008's. My only quibble was that they hydroplaned on standing water at times above 60mph., 185/60-14 on such a light car. Didn't much care for driving that little jewel in the rain, am quite looking forward to the Esprit in that regard.

Cheers