free hit
counters
JPS esprit at auction - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

JPS esprit at auction

pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As far as I'm aware, the Lotus factory never delivered any customer "JPS Esprits" aside from the "Mansell" dry-sump Turbo that was at the 1981 British Grand Prix (there was also a black S1 that appeared at the 1978 British GP with JPS logos but no idea what happened to that).

The "World Champion" commemorative edition Esprit S2 was black with gold stripes, but devoid of any JPS branding and never officially linked to Players probably because TL had become "Martini Lotus" by the time the cars were being delivered.

However, when JPS returned as a TL sponsor in 1981 (through to 1986), there is no doubting that the association between Lotus road and track was often leveraged, as evidenced by this very '80s brochure for the JPS clothing range (1983).

So while this 1986 black and gold Turbo at auction is not an official JPS Esprit (as there weren't any), there's no mistaking from where its colours hail.

Happy to be corrected if there are any official JPS Esprits out there (other than Nige's!).

Esprit-JPS-brochure-1983t.jpg

• Like 2

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-...) Lotus Emira I4 (2023?...)

• Gold FFM

Perhaps it depends how you define a 'JPS Esprit'. I agree, Lotus Cars Ltd never produced a car called 'JPS Esprit' for public sale - in contrast to the Essex Esprit Turbo which was very much linked to Essex Petroleum (as Essex P paid for the development costs). The S2 black and gold cars were 'World Championship Commemorative' models, not specifically JPS. Most enthusiasts refer to these S2 as JPS Esprit including Lotus fans.

It is not unreasonable for others to call any black and gold Esprit a 'JPS', given the S2 black and gold is often incorrectly monikered by Lotus followers. I accept the Commemorative S2 is much more JPS (trim, wheels, JPS title sponsor that year) but it is not officially a JPS. 

Rarely would I wish to defend an auction house. 

Justin

For the record, Thieme/Essex did not contribute to any development costs on the Turbo Esprit project. The only direct funding he provided was the Essex Esprit Royal Albert Hall extravaganza, which was tied in with the marketing launch for his F1 and Indy racing sponsorships.

For more details, check out my Essex Esprit article in Absolute Lotus issue 17...

Edited by Jack Stone

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-...) Lotus Emira I4 (2023?...)

• Gold FFM

That's news to me. I'll check my old books, particularly Jeremy Walton ones but in my mind Essex Petroleum funded the turbo chassis development (part or full), at a time when Lotus Cars had little money for R and D.  As with most car manufacturers in 1979/80.

Is it a grey area between direct funding and monies moving around between entities? 

What are your sources to be so sure this did not occur? Mike K perhaps?  I'm happy to be corrected, I don't have Absolute Lotus issue 17. 

So many myths and repeated inaccuracies in all car history, I'd not wish to add to it. There are already inaccuracies in reports of GMA new car T.33 and that hasn't even been built yet. 

Justin

• Gold FFM
28 minutes ago, jep said:

Is it a grey area between direct funding and monies moving around between entities? 

In that era money was moving about in some very strange ways. Often in briefcases and often accompanied with a white powdery substance.

Only here once

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Saw the Mansell JPS Turbo in the back of the Team Lotus pits the 1981 British Grand Prix. You can see it in the background of my pic of the TL garage.

It was the only Lotus Mansell drove on race day as he failed to qualify for the GP after switching around between the 88B and the 87 amid TL's row with FISA over the former's legality!

87t.jpg

• Like 2

In late 1993/early 1994, I viewed a "JPS" black/gold Esprit in Slough. It was for sale at around £4,500.

It was damp damp damp inside, and had been poorly maintained. I was amazed that the sellers (two youngish guys from the area) didn't even bother to clean it or wipe off the damp inside.

I then bought a black Audi ur Quattro instead.

• Like 1

Wasn't this one was it? This was in Windsor in mid-1980s

turbo-esprit-oma318y-Dedworth-80s.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 31/01/2022 at 09:01, pete said:

Auction has ended and it did not make Reserve.

The Market doesn't seem to do well selling Esprits recently. Dealers are asking £40k yet they seem to hover around 30k for G design TEs at auction

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

• Gold FFM

Collecting Cars and The Market prices are generally soft. It's a lazy way of selling. The odd high price make headlines but auction method has always been lower returns for vendor (with rare exception)....the industry lives off headlines of a wacky price to feed it.

I always sell privately. A good price never makes the news, as only two know the deal.

Justin

I agree with Justin, auction prices are almost always far lower than the 'market rate' and always have been.

The reasons are fairly obvious, if it is a very rare or exceptional car that people have been waiting years to get their hands on, then a bidding war will start and top prices will result. But for more normal cars, the usual bidders will be car dealers looking for cheap stock, sometimes there may be a private bidder who actually wants the car, but they only have to outbid the dealers, result low prices. Add in fees and result very low price for the seller.

Esprits in particular are slow moving stock. Look at the dealers, most Esprits take many months to sell (there is of course the odd exception), some currently up for sale have been around for over a year. At an auction to get a decent price you need at least two people genuinely interested in buying that particular car, at that particular time. A rare combination. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Don’t recall seeing this pic of Hall & Oates with a black and gold Esprit before. Any other pics to reveal its identity? UK car, presumably in London for the shoot.

Edited by Jack Stone

Interesting snippet here about Nigel Mansell apparently doing 1980s equivalent of "Hot Laps" in his (presumably JPS) Turbo Esprit at Silverstone 1981 the week before the British Grand Prix, and spinning while giving Frank Williams a ride. Would love to see some pics of that!

https://peterwindsor.com/2012/08/12/sir-frank/

Frank Williams Nigel Mansell Lotus Esprit Peter Windsor.jpg

Edited by Jack Stone