Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cost of living! - Page 5 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cost of living!

Bibs

19 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Crypto will do very well since it’s untraceable and easy to move. 

it’s becoming a massive problem - Hmrc are now all over cash outs and hunting for the money. Solicitors now are having to report on anti money laundering checks where crypto is involved. Buying a house with it - ummm yeah many mortgage lenders simply won’t accept you if the money has been sourced from crypto.

the government is trying to crack down through regulations that are currently in place and make if difficult for folks to launder their crypto cash

Quite right too. If it's not an offshore trust fund it's clearly dodgy as hell and should be rooted out.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
20 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I should have known better. Kearley (sic) my "sarcasm meter" may have been confused by 2 bottles of Merlot!   :)

• Haha 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

As a Wolves fan I have to say......... Hahahahahahahahahahahaha 😎 (smug look)

• Haha 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

17 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Best investment is betting on spurs to loose 👍

So better than following them over land and sea to watch them lose @Barrykearley     ? 😟

• Haha 1

Dave.

On 13/02/2022 at 17:24, Barrykearley said:

Best investment is betting on spurs to loose 👍

Thanks for that advice.. now what do you reckon is the worst investment then?

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

May be several times? One of my neighbours has been married a few times, just leaving the odd child behind.

• 2 months later...

So the bank of England is looking to raise interest rates throughout the year, nothing more likely to slow the economy than a mortgage rate rise. Don't understand their reasoning as in the past it was to control inflation but this time the inflation is not national it is international

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

My smug look of having had my electricity bill drop £30 in Feb has been wiped off my face with a £110 increase this month. BT put my bill up, Council went with 4%, so well over £220 a month now, Oil for heating and hot water went up double from November and even my water has gone up £30 a month. 

Now I earn a decent crust, but 66% of my salary is commission and with vehicle shortages thats been single handedly halved in the last month and for the forseeable future.

So whats everyone looking at to deal with these increases?

I have cancelled Sky Movies and Sport, Apple TV, Sold my PS4 (cancelling the Premier subscription) Window cleaner, 2 of my DD's giving to charities (still supporting Air Ambo and Cancer) and downgraded the wife's car. My sons have also seen an increase in their rent by £50 each to £250 a month. And all that has done is keep us equal before the bills rose. So no saving "per-se".

Next it will have to be Insurances, and maybe even Netflix, Sky TV etc.  

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Sorting through some old papers today and came across thisPXL_20220507_155305111.thumb.jpg.89bed4c24d3db51a852796c8f802d7ed.jpg

Just goes to show how low interest rates have become recently. And savings rates accordingly. A few of my savings accounts have increased their rates in the last couple of months though. 

• 1 month later...

Hello all, I wanted to have my say in this discussion.

The government are approaching rising cost from the wrong direction. They keep feeding us in the UK with tit-bits to keep us sweet (£150 of Council Tax...£400 promised in winter), I think what they should be looking at is how to reduce the cost of living.

What they do not realize is that we all have a set budget to survive on, this may be little or a larger amount. We are, therefore, going to reduce our luxury item purchases and lower our standards with lesser priced goods such as going from  e.g. .....'Warburtons' bread(£1.25p) to 'Aldis' own (69p).

This is going to have massive consequences in my opinion...   already I have noticed that Beef and Lamb is piled high in supermarkets and pork and chicken is low in the aisles.

Obviously these are just some examples but I believe this could become a bigger problem.

Think of a world with no 'Cadburys' chocolate, 'McVities' Choc' digestives, Fancy Cakes for birthdays and expensive Lager/beer/wine.

IT WILL HAPPEN if somethings not done.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

A very simplified view of a very complicated situation. No solution to the problem. How do you want the government to reduce the cost of living.

• Like 1

I am assured by our Republican party that inflation is solely the fault of President Biden, so if they are able to get Trump back for an encore, all will be well!

A simple solution for the true believers, who are now having extreme difficulty here with 1.12 GBP/ liter gas prices

On 20/06/2022 at 21:10, pete said:

A very simplified view of a very complicated situation. No solution to the problem. How do you want the government to reduce the cost of living.

I do not have the answers to reduce the cost of living...I am retired.

But it is our governments responsibility to find a definite solution to these problems, this is what 'THEY' get payed for.

In my opinion they are ignoring the fact that we all have a set budget, depending on income.  ...we can't just keep accepting approximate monthly 10% rises in the supermarket and chocolate bars being reduced in size. it has to end somewhere.....doesn't it.

Note : some parts of UK reporting about £2.15p per litre for fuel.

• Like 1

Hard for any single countries government to come up with “The Solution” for what is a worldwide problem. If your retired @mickeymegabyteyou should remember inflation far higher than this in the early 80’s and mortgage interest rates in late 70’s over 16%. This is nothing new, unfortunately for many who have enjoyed over a decade of low interest and inflation it is a tough pill to swallow indeed. If all keep leaning on their government to bale us out? It definitely can be done, but this country enjoys one of the lowest tax systems in Europe and everything comes at a price that no one wants to pay.